TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Must have been some party, though, right? Sam:
You wake up in a strange bed with a strange man, and your first guess is "party"? Wade:
Strange people in a strange bed sounds like a party to me, man!
Someone (usually a guy) wakes up in bed, and the audience assumes he's alone. But then either he moves or the camera pans, and we see there's someone else. Usually, it's implied that hanky-panky has just taken place
, and if it hasn't, the guy will either anxiously ask for confirmation, or just assume the worst
with hilarious consequences
. Sometimes, it's used as a Secret Relationship
reveal, for an audience, in universe and or both. A common variation is to have the guy wake up to find a another guy in his bed. In that case, either he's really
anxious to ask for confirmation about why he's there, or he's too afraid to ask. Harem Anime
loves this to death.
If the character is usually The Casanova
, and wouldn't be too put out to find any old stranger in his bed, the partner may be an Abhorrent Admirer
With a little bit of tweaking this can also be a Horror Trope - say if the hapless victim rolls over in bed to find the monstrous villain in bed with them. Of course, the sexual connotations to this aren't an accident
See also What Did I Do Last Night?
. Contrast with Not Staying for Breakfast
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Tenchi Muyo!: Back when Ryoko was still the Sealed Evil in a Can from Granpa's Shrine, Tenchi barely escapes her with his life, only to find her in his bed when he gets back home.
- Steel Angel Kurumi does this the first night Kurumi's at Nakahito's house.
- Medabots, the old TV show, has the main character's mother crawl into bed with him. Freaks him right off the futon. Turns out she read it in a magazine article about how to get kids awake in time for school. There's also advice about how to get kids to do chores/help out around the house.
- Used for opposite the usual reason in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS. The scene opens with Nanoha and Fate apparently alone on their big, fluffy bed with nothing but their nightclothes on. Then, as Nanoha wakes up and sleepily watches Fate, their bed cover twitches, and she opens it to reveal that Vivio was also asleep between them. The bed, incidentally, is big enough for at least six people to comfortably occupy.
- Happens to Asuna in Mahou Sensei Negima! whenever Negi sleepwalks into her bed thinking she's his big sister Nekane.
- Then in one chapter, several girls in the class actually compete for this privilege. Hilarity Ensues.
- Chobits: Hideki wakes up, complaining about the sun. He rolls over and sees Chii face to face. Hilarity Ensues.
- In Fruits Basket Kyo wakes up and sees that Ayame, who Yuki has kicked out, has snuck into bed with him. Cue The Scream.
- Happens to Kaoru on several occasions in Ai Yori Aoshi.
- Happened later on in Revolutionary Girl Utena, only the reveal was really more for the audience, and it was very much not played for laughs. The 14 year old Utena has just been seduced by Akio, who is the principal of her school, her best friend's brother, and very possibly The Devil.
- In Love Hina, Naru discovers Keitaro in bed with Mutsumi. Cue Unstoppable Rage. Later on, after Naru sends him flying, it is revealed that Mutsumi is a sleepwalker and fell through a hole in the floor, landing right next to Keitaro.
- The explanation for her words, "Keitaro, you were really rough last night. It hurt." and "I did it" are explained by having hit her head when falling onto Keitaro and completing the entire test-preparation book, respectively.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, Meer sneaks into Athrun's bed mistakenly believing that his fiance Lacus used to do that. (She didn't, and in fact they're not engaged anymore, but no one bothered to tell her). Athrun wakes up and finds her sleeping next to him in a see-through teddy. Hilarity Ensues.
- In Kashimashi, Hazumu wakes up to find Jan-puu curled up against her.
- Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu has one episode where the sick Sousuke has a nightmare and wakes up. He's relieved... then his right hand wanders onto Tessa's breast who snuck into his bed while he slept. Still asleep, she reacts with "No, mr. Sagara... we shouldn't. Please..." Cue to Sousuke freaking out so loud Kaname wakes up too and comes to see what's going on. The ensuing Not What It Looks Like is averted, however, because Kaname is Genre Savvy enough to know that Sousuke is a Chaste Hero and Tessa has a Subordinate Excuse; she subsequently hauls Tessa off without any grief towards Sousuke.
- In Fairy Tail this has happened at least once when Lucy has gone to bed, or woken up, only to find Natsu and Happy sleeping peacefully. They never seem to understand her shock.
- In Shugo Chara!, Amu once went to her bed to see Ikuto already in it. To be precise, she shut off the lights, crawled into bed...then opened her eyes to find her face to face with Ikuto.
- The epilogue of Girls Bravo starts with a shot of Yukinari The Hero who is allergic to women in bed with the Big Bad Yukina who is allergic to men. Turns out she's not allergic to him and likes being able to feel a man without breaking out in a rash.
- Germany of Axis Powers Hetalia often wakes up to find Italy in his bed. Naked.
- Happens to Rito in To Love-Ru with multiple characters, most notably Lala.
- The sequel To Love Ru: Darkness has Lala's younger sister Momo clinging to him half-naked so often it might as well be part of his morning routine. In one case the third sister, Nana, sneaks down to Rito's room because she needs a hug. In the manga she finds Momo hiding under the covers, in the anime she finds both her sisters asleep on either side of Rito.
- Happens at the end of volume 2 of Moyashimon, where Hazuki wakes up next to Aoi after a night of drunken revelry.
- Used dramatically rather than comically in GUN×SWORD. Celibate Hero Van is shown waking up after a battle, apparently alone. Then it's revealed that he is sleeping beside his main traveling companion, Wendy. It's a subversion of the trope, in that the two are actually in separate twin beds, but since the beds have been pushed together, it looks as if they are sharing a bed.
- In episode 9 of Infinite Stratos, Ichika wakes up to see someone in bed with him... turns out to be Laura, who happens to be completely naked. Hilarity Ensues.
- In Fate/stay night, Shirou awakens after the battle with Berserker to a lecture from Saber. However, they are both interrupted by a muffled, "Keep it down!" Shiro lifts his futon's covers to discover Illya not only sharing his bed, but clinging to him very tightly. Rin is not amused when she hears about it.
- Early on in Bleach, Ichigo wakes up after getting knocked out by Byakuya in Urahara's shop....with Tessai laying directly on top of him with his face a couple inches away.
- Later, Riruka wakes up after having her shoulder injury bandaged to find Orihime next to her. Note that they're in seperate cots.
- In Papa no Iukoto o Kikinasai!, Sora has a habit of moving close to Yuuta even when she's fallen asleep, so it's a case of both of them getting a surprise when they wake up. The way she moves while clinging to Yuuta makes you wonder what kind of dreams the girl is having...
- Sorata finds Misaki sleeping in his bed in the first episode of Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo.
- Happens a few times in Kyo Kara Maoh since Wolfram likes sneaking into Yuri's bed. A couple times being completely naked.
- Happens to Manabe and Hiyori in episode 7 of Kotoura-san, after the psychotrophic effects of Hiyori's bad, bad cooking. They slept together naked with Haruka on the same futon, with Manabe in the middle. Both thought thought they had Three-Way Sex and had a Heel Realization. Both were not true, but Haruka lectured them nonetheless, and gave Hiyori an Eye Scream in the process.
- The very first episode of High School D×D ends this way with Issei waking up thinking the events of the previous night were just a dream. Then he notices he's naked. And that Rias is curled up under the blankets next to him equally naked before she awakens and is completely nonchalant about the entire situation. Hilarity Ensues the opening of the next episode.
- And it happens again in the first episode of the second season, almost in the same way.
- In Shakugan no Shana, Yuji wakes up to find Shana in her underwear in his bed. When Shana wakes up, she gets pissed, and Alastor has to remind her that she got into his bed.
- In A Certain Magical Index:
- Touma wakes up to find Agnese in her underwear sleeping on his chest. She doesn't wake up, but he still gets bitten by a furious Index.
- Later, Touma wakes up in his bathtub to find Birdway and Lessar next to him. Not only does he get bitten by a furious Index, but he finds that the two made a massive hole in his wall to get in.
- Happens in DNA 2, when Junta finds Karin sleeping in a futon located near his bed, only in her undies plus one of his shirts. Subverted because nothing happened (and considering Junta being literally allergic to girls, it could not have taken place anyway): Junta's mother Chiyo found Karin unconscious, took her into the Momonari household, and replaced her clothes with the shirt to get them cleaned up.
- In Rising X Rydeen Takara wakes up one morning to his hand on Aria's breasts. She went to his house to help him move to her organization's headquarters and decided to crawl in his bed.
- A Running Gag on Campione! has Godou finding Erica in his bed, usually naked, much to his embarrassment and chagrin.
- Kougyoku from Magi - Labyrinth of Magic wakes after a banquet to find herself in bed with a stark naked Sinbad, and assumes the worst. As a princess, the issue is complicated by the fact that she believes her honour can only be regained through either both their deaths, or marriage, and Sinbad's reputation as a drunken womaniser means that no one believes him when he denies taking advantage of her. The situation is eventually resolved peacefully.
- Interestingly, in the manga Sinbad's hand is resting on Kougyoku's thigh when she wakes up, but the anime removed this detail, apparently finding it too suggestive.
- In the second chapter of Kyou No Cerberus, Chiaki wakes up to Cerberus in her human form, as #1 Kuro, clinging to him in his bed. The conversation at breakfast tells us that she has been doing that for a week since she has been living with him.
- Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara: In episode 3, Souta is awakened by Akane on top of him. A few moments later, Megumu is also found sleeping next to him.
- Doonesbury: During a Gulf War-era R&R cruise, B.D. is awakened by an enthusiastic buddy who says he won big during the night. He asks B.D. (quoting from memory), "How about you, how did you do?" And a voice in the bed next to B.D. answers "Pretty good".
- Happens to Spider Jerusalem in Transmetropolitan, complete with the common plan to chew off his own arm to escape without waking his surprise bedmate. She rolls over, flings an arm over him, and he adds chewing her arm off to the escape plan. Then the cat walks in...
- In a later issue he scares the hell out of Channon by lying down next to her and waiting for her to wake up.
- There was an old Little Nemo strip where Nemo wakes up, thinking his dream has ended, and to his suprise sees Flip in bed next to him, meaning he's still dreaming.
- Little Ego has a similar scene where Ego wakes up, only to discover that the woman from the harem she had be dreaming about is in bed with her. Her partner sleepily tells Ego to come back to bed, cuing her real wake up.
- Happens in Scott Pilgrim Volume 4, when Scott wakes up on a couch in Lisa's sister's apartment with no recollection of the previous night. He's relieved when she reveals they just talked and ate pizza, despite Lisa's love for Scott, Scott's problems with Ramona, and their Unresolved Sexual Tension.
- In a Smurfs one-page comic gag, a Smurf takes a walk outside when he can't get any sleep, only for the clouds to obscure the light of the moon so that he couldn't see his way, so he ended up going back to what he thinks is his own house and goes to sleep. In the morning, he wakes up and finds out he is sleeping in Papa Smurf's bed.
- Dr. Seuss drew a 1930s magazine cover showing a drunken playboy-type waking up in astonishment with a huge, smiling, striped, multicolored gorilla-thing.
- Done in issue 32 of the Adventure Time comic, with Finn waking up next to Flame Princess after an attack by a memory-eating monster causes him to undergo a Time Skip.
- Happens to Kyon in Kyon Big Damn Hero when he wakes up one day to find Kanae sleeping at his side. Turns out that after she learned to teleport, she teleported herself to his bed in her sleep.
- Later, he finds both Kanae and Yuki. And now they decided to cycle through all of the girls...
- In the WWE fanfic, Worst Nightmare, Molly Holly wakes to find herself in the same bed with Road Dogg. Fortunately, it turns out It Was All A Dream.
- In the NCIS fanfic Backfired, Gibbs and McGee wake up hung over and naked in a bed in a cabin in the middle of nowhere with no memory of the previous night. On the nightstand is a grainy photograph of them having sex. Turns out, it was staged in the setup of a blackmail attempt (which ultimately fails).
- In the The Best Night Ever, Prince Blueblood waking up next to Rarity signals that the "Groundhog Day" Loop he was going through is finally over.
- It occurs several times in Diaries of a Madman. The protagonist, Navarone, is usually not happy with who he finds.
- In the Star Trek: The Original Series fanfic Insontis II, Kirk wakes up one morning to find kid!Spock in his bed. Unlike most cases, there are no hints of sexuality. Spock confesses that the temperature was too cold for him.
- In Toyhammer, Michael wakes up the morning after an intense battle to find Emma snuggling next to him. This worries Michael greatly because Emma is eleven years old at best.To say nothing of being the present-day incarnation of The God-Emperor of Man.
Films — Animated
- Occurs in Paprika immediately after the first dream sequence, where it is revealed that Konakawa was sharing the bed with Paprika, who had also been in the dream.
Films — Live-Action
- One of the few tropes Neil Gaiman has ever played straight. In Anansi Boys, Fat Charlie wakes up after his father's wake with a serious hangover and a nude woman he has no memory of meeting. Turns out she just helped him home.
- Invoked oddly in William Gibson's Mona Lisa Overdrive. One of the protagonists has memory issues (due to complicated backstory), and when he wakes up in bed with a girl, his lack of memory is not due to alcohol or drugs. (She's just there to get warm.)
- Robert A. Heinlein:
- To Sail Beyond the Sunset opens with protagonist Maureen waking up in bed with a cat she knows (Pixel, familiar to readers of The Cat Who Walks Through Walls) and a dead man she doesn't know.
- On the subject of The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, Richard goes to sleep with Gretchen on one side and Xia on the other, then wakes up to find himself in bed with Pixel (licking him enthusiastically), Minerva (whom he kisses enthusiastically), and Galahad (whom, after a pause, he also kisses enthusiastically).
- The first book of The Helmsman Saga has the protagonist wake up in the morning and find his lover next to him. As a variation, she woke him up when climbing in and they had quite a night together - it's just that, upon waking up, he believes it was All Just a Dream until he actually finds her there.
- In the Novel Within A Novel Peter Flowerbuck, this occurs between a man and a young prostitute he had intended to set free.
- Lucky Stiff has the protagonists ending up in bed after a night of champagne.
- Played straight in the very beginning of Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge, when protagonist Nathan Zachary wakes up next to an unnamed woman who doesn't appear for the rest of the game.
- He doesn't seem surprised to be waking up next to her. Presumably, it was just a one-night stand.
- In Catherine, Victor is shocked enough to do a Jaw Drop when he finds himself in bed with a naked Catherine in the cutscene following Stage 2.
- Also the True Chaos ending, where Dumuzid is sleeping next to both Catherine and Vincent in Pajamas with sheep on them.
- Boxer Hockey: Chuck gets one of these Much to his delight.
- Least I Could Do: Rayne wakes up on January 1 hungover from a wild New Year party, and a voice behind him asks "Are you going to turn around?" Luckily for him, that voice is that of Cyndi Wang.
- Happens to him again in this strip: "Not the sandwich I wanted to be the meat of"...
- A variation in Shortpacked!: We expect a bedmate, but it's actually two different beds. With Mike in both.
- Done to Torg from Sluggy Freelance in a particularly sanity pulverizing fashion.
- This User Friendly strip. A slight variation, in that it's later revealed that Pitr was just looking for a warm place to sleep, and no hanky-panky took place. Not that this prevents him from demanding "dinner and a movie" next time...
- The very beginning of Freakangels embodies this trope, although it's about a woman, KK. Including improbable bed partner ("Please, God, don't let me have fucked a guy from the Lambeth Road")
- Concession has roughly the Squickiest version conceivable.
- Later happens to the same guy, who wakes up with three other people (two of them he's happy about, the third not so much).
- Captain SNES uses the above-mentioned variation of this trope after Dr. Wily is elected Vice-President Evil to Haggar's President Buffoon. Wily wakes up one morning to discover Haggar in his bed...and complaining about Wily hogging all the covers.
- Misfile: After a night of drowning their respective sorrows, Ash and Vashiel wake up in the same bed.
- Scandinavia and the World: In this strip, Sweden wakes up next to Norway, Denmark... and Sister Finland.
- Girls Next Door had this with Sarah and Jareth, after Sarah went out drinking with Christine. Hilarity Ensues.
- Several times in Ménage à 3. For example with Gary and Sandra.
- Done in Wapsi Square with Bud and Kevin.
- Done twice in Coach Random. In one, it's just as hanky-panky is getting started when things take a strange turn.
- Involked and subverted in Sinfest.
- The former trope image comes from part of a Badly Drawn Kitties story arc based around Lydia's birthday, where she gets drunk and wakes up naked next to Fisk. Then it's subverted when Lucy reveals she undressed her...then double subverted when the reveals she didn't take her panties off, implying that Lydia and Fisk did have sex.
- Super Stupor has a hero and his nemesis wake up together after New Year's. Too bad they're both in denial about their feelings for each other.
- One Team Fortress 2 comic depicts the RED Sniper luring the RED Scout into bed with him, only to for the last panel to reveal that Sniper was actually the BLU Spy all along. "Bonjour."
- South Park has a variation in "Fat-Butt and Pancake-Head" with Eric Cartman and Ben Affleck. Well, Ben Afflek and Hennifer Hlopez (not to be confused with Jennifer Lopez), who happened to be possessing Cartman's hand at the time. Except not. It Makes Sense in Context. ...Well, not really.
Chef: They'll wake up soon, and it's gonna be one ugly sight.
Stan: I thought you said the wonder of mother nature was a beautiful thing.
Kyle: Yeah, when does mother nature go from beautiful, to ugly?
Chef: Usually about 9:30 in the morning, children.
- Parodied in one episode of Futurama, where after an accident Fry wakes up next to Amy. And then discovers that his head is attached to her body.