Fan Fic: The Best Night Ever
You'll be seeing Rain Booms...
At the Gala again, and again, and again..."The Best Night Ever"
is one of Capn_Chryssalid's My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
Fanfictions. Now with a sequel, This Platinum Crown
Summary: Prince Blueblood thought the Grand Galloping Gala was over. He thought he could just go to sleep and put it behind him. He never expected to be reliving the same disaster of a day, over and over... and over
- Bedmate Reveal: Blueblood waking up next to Rarity demonstrates that the time loop is finally over.
- Be Yourself: In order to finally escape the time loop, Prince Blueblood must arrange for everyone to enjoy themselves at the Gala without violating their central character traits or causing a disaster.
- Black Magic: Blueblood dabbles with this during the time loops in a desperate attempt to escape. The spell consumes the user's soul, and covers the entire castle grounds in unquenchable hellfire. Blueblood dies thinking he'll finally escape. Nope.
- Character Development: Blueblood in spades. He transitions from an Upper-Class Twit with Jerkass tendencies to an actually likable pony.
- Corrupt Bureaucrat: A surveyor working for Blueblood shifted the borders of the Everfree Forest into Apple family land so that a larger company could deforest some of it to gain property for free.
- Courtly Love: What Rarity expects and eventually gets. It is implied that it shifts into a different kind of love after the fic ends.
- Dancin' in the Ruins: In one of Blueblood's suicide attempts, he burns down Canterlot with a magical fire fueled by his death. As the flames surround him, he is clearly enjoying the event. And then the loop hits again…
- Deadly Decadent Court: Canterlot politics are implied to be like this.
- Despair Event Horizon: As with the movie, after Blueblood discovers he can't kill himself to get out of the loop, no matter how thorough. Unlike the movie, he has a second, Played for Drama one later on when he makes the Gala perfect for everypony…except himself, meaning the loop repeats. He seriously considers making a Deal with Discord after that.
- Driven to Suicide: Blueblood. Killing himself only makes the loop start over quicker, though.
- Dynamic Character: Blueblood.
- Ear Worm:
- In-universe, the real-life song Equestria Girls. It's Blueblood's alarm clock tune and signals the start of a new loop. He occasionally hums it.
- Also in-universe, The mane six's "At The Gala" musical number. Having to listen to it every loop just about drives Blueblood to madness.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Blueblood considers the time loop this for quite a while, and in fact spends a drastic number of loops killing himself by every way he can imagine. It's only when he discovers that even a Black Magic spell that should leave him Deader Than Dead won't work that he gives up on killing himself and instead focuses on finding what condition will break the loop.
- Fix Fic: The Best Night Ever is essentially this for Prince Blueblood's characterization.
- Get Back to the Future: Blueblood's main goal is to get out of the time loop.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: What Prince Blueblood is dealing with.
- Played with a little bit: in each loop, everything is the same to the smallest detail, except for Pinkie Pie's reaction to any given event, which is different every time. Blueblood is very surprised at this; Pinkie is not.
- Whole Plot Reference: For good reason.
- Have a Gay Old Time: During the first run of the time loop, Blueblood, via narration, suspects it's a prank by Celestia and calls it a "gay little game" without irony or innuendo.
- Heel-Face Turn: If you would call Jerkassishness an evil trait, then this fic is a gradual one for Blueblood.
- Hidden Depths: Blueblood can be suave and sophisticated when he wants to be.
- The High Queen: Princess Luna and Princess Celestia.
- Idle Rich: Blueblood at first. He had a job, he just didn't do it.
- It Amused Me: Blueblood's reason for his treatment of Rarity at the original Gala (and many of the repeats).
- He also wastes several loops just to troll Rarity by asking Sweetie Belle to the gala, or implying that Rarity is her mother.
- Jerkass: Blueblood's early behavior towards Rarity certainly falls into this category.
- Kick the Dog: Blueblood initial treatment of Rarity. He crushed her expectations For the Lulz.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Rarity expects Blueblood to be one.
- Laughing Mad: Manifests itself when Blueblood is driven to suicide in the most drastic fashion he can think of. Also a comedic example when Blueblood wakes up in one loop after learning about all the different kinds of apple desserts from Applejack. This leads to him smashing his alarm clock and making his way down stairs, cackling maniacally as he goes to the kitchens to add them to the Gala's menu.
- The Many Deaths Of Me: In one later chapter, Blueblood openly admits to having killed himself by every imaginable means he could think of in hopes of escaping the time loop through death.
- Mundane Utility: Blueblood learns how to teleport. He uses it for things like catching a falling vase.
- Musical World Hypotheses: Specifically, Blueblood seems to believe that it has something to do with the Elements of Harmony.
- Not Bad: Whitemane, Blueblood's teleportation teacher, is like this.
- Not Himself: Ponies who knew Blueblood before the loop started, such as Princess Celestia, are startled by his sudden (to them) change in character.
- Pity the Kidnapper: The guard Blueblood assigns to monitor a seemingly random area soon stumbles upon Trixie being harassed by some Diamond Dogs…or was it some Diamond Dogs being harassed by Trixie?
- Powered by a Forsaken Child: During one of the loops, when Blueblood goes crazy and burns down Canterlot, he uses a spell to create fire that burns for eleven days and eleven nights, can't be extinguished by water nor wind nor mortal magic...and all it required as a reagent was the body and soul of a single pony.
- Prince Charmless: in the beginning, Prince Blueblood is very firmly in this territory. He improves.
- Prince Charming: What Rarity expects Blueblood to be. By the end of the fic, he has become this to a degree.
- Recursive Fanfiction: Several chapters of The Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments take place during the events of this fanfiction. Word of God states the events of Fragments are considered canon and will be referenced in the sequel.
- Ring Ring Crunch: Blueblood's alarm clock gets this in most loops.
- Rounded Character: Blueblood, by the end.
- Royal Brat: Blueblood, at first.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Celestia and Luna. By the end, Blueblood has started actually doing his job as well.
- Suicidal Cosmic Temper Tantrum: The most drastic loop of the "Blueblood attempts suicide" phase of the fanfic; Blueblood uses Black Magic to cast a spell that consumes the caster's soul, which he hopes will render him Deader Than Dead, and uses the resultant magical fire to burn Canterlot and everypony in it to the ground.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Blueblood learns how to magically teleport himself.
- Teleportation Sickness: A common side effect when unicorns are learning to teleport.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have shades of this.
- Took a Level in Badass: Blueblood learns how to teleport.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Blueblood doing this is basically the point of the fanfic.
- Upper-Class Twit: Blueblood, at first. The majority of the fic has him growing out of this.
- What You Are in the Dark: After his failed attempt to get everyone to enjoy the Gala, Blueblood is driven to seeing Discord and freeing him to find a way to break free. In the end, he decides not and plods back for another attempt.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Theoretically, should Blueblood desire to do so, he could stay, eternally youthful, within the "Groundhog Day" Loop forever. He instead tries his hardest to get out. After hundreds of repeats, he eventually does.
- Whole Plot Reference: This fanfic retells Groundhog Day using Prince Blueblood stuck in a loop of the events of the season 1 finale.