Manga: Sakura no Ichiban!
Asami Hinomori has recently gotten permission from her grandfather (due to her mother's insistence) to take a train to Tokyo to attend a boarding school called "Sakura Hill School for Girls". She's excited, of course, since she gets to see her elder brother, Ikurou, who's a detective. But Tokyo turns out to not be as safe as it seems with grisly murders and serial killers running rampant. Asami finds herself running into these mysteries, has the will to solve them and is determined to find the culprit of these cases.Sakura no Ichiban!
) is a 2001 mystery shonen manga set in the Taisho era by Yuna Kagesaki
, who's also known for later creating Karin
and Hekikai No Aion
. The manga is also serialised in Dragon Age
. The series ended in 2003 with five volumes.
This manga displays examples of the following tropes:
- Asleep in Class: Asami falls asleep during a lesson in chapter five due to engaging in a fight with Jack the Ripper at midnight in the previous chapter.
- Bedmate Reveal: In chapter eight, Asami awakes to find Tsukiko sleeping next to her on her futon.
- Catchphrase: Asami exclaims "I'll do my best!" whenever she's ready to do something.
- Dead Man's Chest: In chapter one, the killers stuff wooden crates full of the corpses of dead women they've killed. Misao discovers this when the box Asami was standing on broke and her feet got tangled with one of the dead women's long hair. In her attempt to free her feet, Asami manages to flip the corpse on top of her.
- Dope Slap: Misao often slaps Asami across the face or slams Asami's skull with her fist whenever the latter does something reckless or stupid.
- Excited Show Title!
- Freudian Excuse: Jack the Ripper's reason for killing women and his general hatred of them comes from his mother mistreating and belittling him. One day, he decides he finally had enough and murders her.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The reason the killers in chapter one kidnap and murder young women was that appearently in their country a girl's liver is thought to cause one's lifespan to increase.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Before meeting Asami and Misao, Tsukiko was not allowed to go outside and was very sheltered. The "friends" she had then only wanted her wealth.
- Madness Mantra: Tsukiko breaks down crying and starts to chant "There's no point for me to live..." repeatedly before revealing to Misao how she was put under a curse and why she was put into a insanity ward.
- The Ojou: Tsukiko Okakura is from a wealthy noble family, has a group of girls that follow her every step, and is a member of the school's Sakura Blossom Club, a club where girls from rich families go to have tea parties. She also possesses a Hime Cut.
- One-Gender School: Sakura Hill is a boarding school for girls.
- Rapunzel Hair: Tsukiko and her Split Personality, Keiji have long black hair that goes past their waist.
- Spit Take: In chapter 11, Misao does this when Keiji says that Asami might be his first love.
- Split Personality Make Over: Few of the features that distinguishes Keiji from Tsukiko besides gender is that Keiji's hair is messier. He also lacks Tsukiko's signature hair ties and sidetails.
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl: Whenever Tsukiko's hair is disheveled, her bangs go in her face, and when she is wearing a white kimono, people tend to get scared and mistake her for a ghost.
- Tampering with Food and Drink: In chapter 7, the third year girls of the Sakura Blossom Club have their tea poisoned by the other members of the club so that they can become closer to Tsukiko and her wealth. Sanae is framed for the incident due to being from a poor family and generally disliked by most of the girls in the club.
- Tears of Fear: A would-be victim of "The Jack The Ripper" in the second chapter sheds tears of fright while he is pursuing her and almost kills her before Asami jumps to her rescue.
- Tsurime Eyes: The snarky and bookish, Misao has these eyes which contrasts with the cheery and clumsy Asami's Tareme Eyes.
- Wingding Eyes: Asami has swirls in her eyes in the first chapter when she gets knocked out by the guys kidnapping her and Misao.