Robot and Monster
is a new animated series from Nickelodeon
and Nicktoons Network
about the misadventures of two best friends, Robot and Monster, who live together and work in a Blinking Lights Factory. They live in a world were Robotic Mechanicals and Monstrous Organics are unified by a shared love of Bacon.
Robot is an inventor whose experiments usually fail, often explosively. He is often angry, partly because his experiments often fail and partly because his family, who run the Blinking Lights Factory, find him to be a complete disappointment. Monster is an eternal optimist who always looks at the brighter side of things and is the self-proclaimed "Happiest Guy in the World." The humour often comes from the best friends tackling a problem with their distinct personalities.
The show had little network support
and no commercial appeal. Reruns of the show air more often on Nicktoons. Nick stopped airing new episodes by Janurary 2013, leaving 3 episodes and a half-hour series finale unaired. (One of the four lost episodes aired on Nicktoons in December 2013, while another one can be viewed on Amazon Instant Video) What's worse, is that the network denied a second season of this show, they just wanted to pretend it didn't exist.
That said, was it really that bad of a show? To some viewers, yes, but, as a whole, it really wasn't a badly-made show. It just met with a lot of Executive Meddling
and got Screwed by the Network
because it wasn't able to find a wider audience.
Surprisingly, the entire series will be released on DVD sometime in 2014. (Including the three episodes that haven't even aired!)
- Aloof Big Brother: Gart.
- Ambiguously Evil: Marf.
- Ambiguously Gay: Gart and Ogo.
- Amusing Injuries: Robot and Perry, mostly the former.
- Pretty much every robot in the show can be aggressively disassembled without consequence and can use the severed chunks more or less independently.
- Bacon Addiction: Bacon appears to be the only food robots and monsters eat in this universe. And don't even get into how automatons eat bacon.
- Bad Boss/Mean Boss: Gart.
- Big Bad: Gart.
- Big Red Button: In one episode, Robot and Monster try to run the Makin' Bakin. They are told not to press the red "Make Every Problem Go Away Button" on the counter. Guess how it does just that?
- Blood Knight: J.D. and Spitfire like to ride around fighting crime, but Spitfire admits it's mostly for the fighting.
- Brains and Brawn: Robot and Monster respectively.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": Every member of the DeFault family have their first initial on their hatch, and they are detachable.
- Bungling Inventor: Robot's inventions usually end up exploding or tearing him apart. They do work sometimes but usually backfire in some way, even after working for a while.
- Butt Monkey: Perry and Robot.
- Cain and Abel: Robot and Gart.
- Casting Gag: This isn't the first couple of times that Maurice LaMarche had played the Bad Boss.
- Christmas Episode: "Baconmas"
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Gart.
- Cute Machines: Robot.
- Dartboard of Hate: In "The Bad News Baconeers" Robot has a dartboard with a picture of Gart as Napoleon on it.
- Delayed Reaction: In "Game Boys" after Robot botches the Pole-O match Monster tells him that you usually won't feel the pain until the next morning. Then the following morning both of them scream in pain and collapse after they get out of bed and try to open the window.
- The Ditz: Monster.
- Divine Race Lift: Mechanicals and Organics both believe that Saint Crispy was one of them. Turns out he's both.
- A Dog Named Dog: Robot and Monster. Strangely averted with everyone else.
- Fan of Underdog: Ogo.
- Fantastic Racism: Robot's Grandmother hates Organics
- 419 Scam: "The Prince of Scamtown"
- Gadgeteer Genius: Robot.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In one episode people ask Nessie if she used to shake her bacon (a reference to dancing) and get slapped by an offended Nessie. This joke happened twice. Wow censors, just wow.
- Grows on Trees: Bacon, as seen in "The Bacon Tree".
- Grumpy Old Man: Mr. Wheelie
- Jet Pack: Ogo is equipped with one.
- Jerkass: Gart.
- Karma Houdini: Gart sometimes.
- In "Boomerang", Monster spends all day trying to prove that Gart will get what's coming to him by doing bad things himself, only for good things to happen all day. Then after a crazy chain of events, Gart's blimp gets disintegrated by Robot's invention, and then he gets rolled over by the giant gear he caused to roll around the factory, then shortly after the crystal case Monster had that was full of money breaks and all the money falls out.
- Lucy, in a particularly cruel episode.
- Mad Scientist: Robot has shades of it, especially when an invention he makes is working.
- Manipulative Bastard: When Gart finds Robot's Pole-O team cheating against his he makes up a sob story about his team performing badly due to having square wheels and that every team they've played against (keep in mind that Robot's team is the only other team Gart's has fought) let them win because of this disability, turning the crowd against Robot.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Ogo.
Robot: Monster, your tree is trying to kill all our friends... and Ogo.
- No OSHA Compliance: The Blinking Light Factory shows signs of this, namely gears frequently coming loose and posing a risk to employees.
- One-Wheeled Wonder: Ogo.
- Parental Favoritism: As you would expect considering every other facet of Robot's life, his and Gart's parents both prefer the latter, mostly because he's actually successful.
- Precocious Crush: Monster's little sister Globitha has one on Robot
- Pokémon Speak: Marf.
- Punny Name: Robot's family name is 'Default', ergo the initial state a product is in when it's first sold. Perry gets his name from 'periscope', which is what his body is shaped like.
- In "Game Boys" Gart's Pole-O team is named the Default Settings.
- In "The Bad News Baconeers" Robot's Pole-O team is the titular Baconeers and Gart's team is the Gartgantuans.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: They can contract diseases (like robies), have allergies (Ogo is allergic to bacon), and, as mentioned above, eat bacon.
- The Rival: Pendulum Depot to Gart.
- Serious Business: Where the characters live crosswalk safety is taken very seriously, to the point that you can be arrested for jaywalking or having your license to walk revoked.
- Shout-Out: In "The Bacon Tree" Monster grows a homicidal plant named Audrey.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Gart and Lucy to Robot.
- Shorter Means Smarter: Robot.
- Stalker with a Crush: Ogo IS this. Also Audrey, as a result of too much love by Monster. Other than the fact she can't talk, she is Yandere as well.
- Stepford Smiler: Perry, whose face is perpetually stuck smiling.
- Threatening Shark: They're also venomous.
- Those Two Guys
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Spitfire and J.D. respectively.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Bacon.
- The Unfavourite: Robot.
- The Unintelligible: Marf normally seems to just repeat his name, but it's shown in one episode to actually be conversation... very mean conversation.
- Robot's Grandmother only speaks the "old language" Binary
- X Meets Y: Fanboy and Chum Chum meets Banjo-Kazooie.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: In one episode Perry gets a cure for his perpetual smiling... for about a minute.
- You Mean X Mas: They celebrate Baconmas, which is a celebration of Bacon, and how it holds Mechanical and Organic society together.
- You Wouldn't Hit A Guy With Glasses: Crikey would, it's his favorite thing to do.