In one night, the three-thousand-year history of House Volder was destroyed. No. As long as this princes lives, it is not over. And, one day, the greatest dream come true. After that abominable day, a journey of hardships began. An escape from the gaze of Marder's hunting minions. It was obvious that Marder, subjugator of Arst, would issue a capture order for the prince. It became necessary raise the prince as my own grandson. But this did not mean we were running away with neither purpose nor destination. We believed that somewhere in this world an iron colossus existed, and it was this unknown land that we sought after. The legends of old said that "when evil rules upon the world, Galient the Iron Giant manifests, and cleanses this world of the darkness."Panzer World Galient
(機甲界ガリアン Kikōkai Garian) is a Humongous Mecha
anime produced by Sunrise company and Tatsunoko Production, directed by Ryosuke Takahashi of Armored Trooper VOTOMS
fame and with mechanical designs of Yutaka Izubuchi (who also designed mechas of some Gundam
series and Patlabor
, as well as creating and directing Rahxephon
), that aired between 1984 and 1985.
Set in the far flung medieval-looking world of Arst, the millenia-old kingdom of Volder
is celebrating the birth of Prince Jordy Volder
when the troops of the conqueror Marder
invade the capital city, using an army of advanced robots called panzers
. The city falls easily, and during the battle the king gets killed and the queen kidnapped, but before they trust their newborn son to Asbeth, one of their most loyal and most Badass
soldiers. Asbeth flees the city and becomes a wandering warrior
in order to hide Jordy from Marder, raising him like his own grandson as searching the land for the legendary giant robot "panzer" Galient, which is one of many panzers that have been preserved underground for thousands of years. Twelve years later, Jordy finds Galient and gets ready to fight Marder, who is conquering all of Arst in preparation of his plan for dominance of the Crescent Galaxy.Galient
is noteworthy for being one of the first anime to combine a Medieval European Fantasy
setting with Humongous Mecha
Compare and contrast with Aura Battler Dunbine
and Vision of Escaflowne
- Ace Custom: Hy Shaltat's Wingal Zee, which has a silver coat of paint and wields two tomahawks (instead of one, unlike the others).
- Action Girl: Hilmuka. Martial artist, sniper... you better believe she can look after herself in a fight.
- Adorably Precocious Child: Jordy Volder is a surprisingly focused and capable fighter, considering the fact that he's merely 12 years-old.
- After the End: Implied as soon as the second episode. Along the whole planet lie buried incredibly advanced, milennia-old super-weapons.
- Alien Sky: Planet Arst is orbited by two moons.
- Ambiguously Brown: Redd Windu, who is dark-skinned but it is hard to tell what race he is supposed to be.
- An Ax To Grind: General Zaba's robot and some more mechas use battle axes.
- And I Must Scream: After getting captured, Queen Felia -Jordy's mother- was frozen, framed and turned into a strange blend of living painting and statue to adorne Marder's private chambers. She is aware, but she cannot move, talk or even blink.
- Animal Mecha: Galient's Falcon Flight Form.
- Apathetic Citizens: The Lanplatians. Even when a tower falls on their friends right in front of them, they just stand there drooling in confusion. Marder's grand plan is actually to make them forget this and care about *something* again.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Chururu gave one to Jordy in episode 3 when she asked him if he liked Hilmuka and to tease her, he replied "What if I do?"
- Awesome, yet Impractical: Galient's Flight Form makes quick travel to other places convenient, but since it has no weapons to speak of, it's completely vulnerable to aerial attacks. Luckily, this is eventually fixed via the Assault Galient upgrade.
- Cut Short / Bittersweet Ending: The anime sort of just...ends. The Arstians all escape Lanplate, and the Eraser comes and wipes out the planet and all of its inhabitants. Marder abruptly decides to end the Arst War and spend the last few minutes with his people.
- Child Soldier: Jordy Volder, not that the circumstances give him much of a choice in the matter.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Zauel's sword spins like a drill.
- Evil Overlord: Marder.
- Expy: Hy Shaltat has Chirico Cuvie's exact face.
- Forgotten First Meeting: When Jordy and Asbeth arrive at White Valley, Jordy meets and befriends White Valley's leader's girl, Chururu. Shortly after Asbeth and Chururu's father explain to both they had already met when they were two-years-old, during an ealier visit of Jordy's "grandfather". Naturally, since Jordy and Chururu were toddlers back then, they had completely forgotten that.
- Green Eyes: Hilmuka has green eyes that add to her considerable appeal.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: Marder. While it's made apparent early on that he wants to take over the entire Crescent Galaxy (to the point of treating Arst's conquest as an anciliary goal), the reason why isn't revealed for a good while. It turns out that he sees the peace on his home planet of Lanplate as "false", since the populace is practically emotionless. As such, he plans to use Arst's technology to cause a chain reaction that will plunge the entire galaxy into all-out war, with him as the victor that will promote true peace.
- Humongous Mecha: The titular giant robot and the panzers.
- In Universe Nickname: Jojo for Jordy Volder. Justified, since Asbeth is hiding his royal lineage until the time is right to rally up the White Valley's rebels.
- Killed Off for Real: Asbeth and General Rhodan. Also, the end credits in the final episode heavily imply this for Hy Shaltat and Marder, as well.
- Kill Sat / Attack Drone: The Eraser is a network of these that uses a powerful gravity surge to destroy the surfaces of planets.
- Large Ham: Redd Windu. Of course, given that his voice actor is Shigeru Chiba, it's to be expected.
- Lost Technology
- A Mech by Any Other Name: Collectively, they're called Armored Soldiers (Kikouhei). Each mech line is also classified with the prefix word Panzer. For example, Galient is Panzer Blade, centaur mechs like Promaxis are Panzer Trampler, while flyable Wingals are Panzer Gust.
- Mecha-Mook: Out of the Marder Army's entire supply of Panzers, the Promaxis is the most common one.
- Mecha Show
- Mid-Season Upgrade: Assault Galient.
- Ms. Fanservice: Hilmuka.
- Obviously Evil: With his black outfit, piercing eyes, black goatee and lack of hair, it'd be difficult to mistake Marder for anyone other than the Big Bad.
- Original Video Animation: Three of them: Crest of Earth and Crest of Heaven are Compilation Movies, while the third, Crest of Iron, is an Alternate Universe.
- Panty Shot: Chururu is a rather unfortunate provider of these. Somewhat disturbing, since she is twelve.
- Real Robot Genre
- Red Is Heroic: Galient is almost completely red. Also, Jordy wears black and red armor and body suit.
- The Rival: Hy Shaltat.
- Schizo Tech
- Science Fantasy: The setting is a typical medieval fantasy world... with giant robots thrown in the mix.
- Shonen Hair: Jordy Volder.
- Shoulder Cannon: Assault Galient's beam gun and Monocot's flash arrow pod.
- Spell My Name with an S: Where to even start? At the very least, X Nebula's fansub transliterations of the names are pronounceable.
- Spoiler Opening: A small example. The Zauel and Skartz are briefly shown in it, long before their respective pilots appear in the story proper.
- Swiss-Army Weapon: Wingal's tomahawk can be used as beam gun.
- Tap on the Head: In chapter 5, Hy uses the "karate chop to the neck" variant with Lord Protz. The blow was strong enough to slam Protz in a nearby railing, though.
- The Three Faces of Eve:
- Queen Felia is the wife, calm, mature and wise.
- Hilmuka is the temptress, beautiful, sultry, and more than willing to use her charms to get what she wants.
- Hot-tempered, rash, immature, emotional twelve-year-old Chiruru is the child.
- Trickster Mentor: Hilmuka, to some extent.
- Villainous Friendship: Hy Shaltat and Marder are a Type I, as both men have mutual respect for each other. Even though the former really isn't in a position to assist the latter much.
- Whip Sword: The Galient blade.
- Worthy Opponent: Jimzal Lambert. He is so honorable that when General Rhodan interrupted his and Jordy's duel with an attack force, he refused to budge his Zauel during the ensuing invasion of White Valley.
- Word Salad Title
- X Meets Y: Star Wars meets Mobile Suit Gundam meets Medieval European Fantasy.
Tropes from Third OVA: Crest Of Iron
- Ace Custom: Both Jordy and Marder have their own version of Jinbahei.
- Alternate Universe: Jordy, Hy Shaltat and Chururu both are brothers-in-law, Hilmuka is not an Alien.
- Attack Drone: Tetsukyojin electrifying own sword, and attack Jashin- Hei and broke the sword, but the broken parts from the sword fly and attack Jashin-Hei destroying him, and back from the grip from the sword and rebuild him.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: and How Tetsukyojin destroy all army without one serious damage!.
- Foreshadowing : In the beginning of the OVA, one thunder hit the hut showing in a flame a image from Hy Shaltat killing King Madaru.
- Snake Mecha: Jashin Hei piloted by Hy Shaltat.
- Villain Protagonist: Hy Shaltat.
What is the point of eternal peace? Life and death clash against each other. Lusts and ideals intertwine, and joys and sorrows color this world. Therefore, paradise... can only be unbearable grief. It can only be unbound joy. The paradise of all living things is, indeed, in chaos.