Beware the whip-sword
Now, hold that sword-like crescent moon in your handsPanzer World Galient
(機甲界ガリアン Kikōkai Garian) is a Humongous Mecha
anime produced by Sunrise company and Tatsunoko Production, directed by Ryosuke Takahashi of Armored Trooper Votoms
fame and with mechanical designs of Yutaka Izubuchi (who also designed mechas of some Gundam
series and Patlabor
, as well as creating and directing Rahxephon
), that aired between 1984 and 1985.
Set in a far flung medieval-looking world of Arst, Prince Jordy Volder takes up the fight against the ambitions of the conqueror Marder. Jordy uses the legendary giant robot "panzer" Galient, which is one of many panzers that have been preserved underground for thousands of years. Using an army of advanced robot panzers, Marder is conquering all of Arst in preparation of his plan for dominance of the Crescent Galaxy.Galient
it's noteworthy for being one of the first anime to combine a Medieval European Fantasy
setting with Humongous Mecha
Needs the help of editors and lots of Wiki Magic
- Ace Custom: Hy Shaltat's Wingal Zee, which has a silver coat of paint and wields two tomahawks (instead of one, unlike the others).
- Ambiguously Brown: Redd Windu/Red Window.
- Animal Mecha: Galient's Falcon Flight Form.
- Awesome, yet Impractical: Galient's Flight Form makes quick travel to other places convenient, but since it has no weapons to speak of, it's completely vulnerable to aerial attacks. Luckily, this is eventually fixed via the Assault Galient upgrade.
- Child Soldier: Jordy Volder, not that the circumstances give him much of a choice in the matter.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Zauel's sword spins like a drill.
- Evil Overlord: Marder.
- Humongous Mecha: The titular giant robot and the panzers.
- In Universe Nickname: Jojo for Jordy Volder. Justified, since Asbeth is hiding his royal lineage until the time is right to rally up the White Valley's rebels.
- Killed Off for Real: Asbeth and General Rhodan. Also, the end credits in the final episode heavily imply this for Hy Shaltat and Marder, as well.
- Large Ham: Redd Windu. Of course, given that his voice actor is Shigeru Chiba, it's to be expected.
- Lost Technology
- A Mech By Any Other Name: Collectively, they're called Armored Soldiers (Kikouhei). Each mech line is also classified with the prefix word Panzer. For example, Galient is Panzer Blade, centaur mechs like Promaxis are Panzer Trampler, while flyable Wingals are Panzer Gust.
- Mecha-Mook: Out of the Marder Army's entire supply of Panzers, the Promaxis is the most common one.
- Mecha Show
- Mid-Season Upgrade: Assault Galient.
- Ms. Fanservice: Hilmuka.
- Obviously Evil: With his black outfit, piercing eyes, black goatee and lack of hair, it'd be difficult to mistake Marder for anyone other than the Big Bad.
- The Rival: Hy Shaltat.
- Schizo Tech
- Shonen Hair: Jordy Volder.
- Shoulder Cannon: Assault Galient's beam gun and Monocot's flash arrow pod.
- Spell My Name with an S: Where to even start? At the very least, the fansub transliterations of the names are pronounceable.
- Spoiler Opening: A small example. The Zauel and Skartz are briefly shown in it, long before their respective pilots appear in the story proper.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: The main melody in the opening song "Galient World" sounds similar to the Beatles song While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Wingal's tomahawk can be used as beam gun.
- Trickster Mentor: Hilmuka, to some extent.
- Villainous Friendship: Hy Shaltat and Marder are a Type I, as both men have mutual respect for each other. Even though the former really isn't in a position to assist the latter much.
- Whip Sword: The Galient blade.
- Word Salad Title
- X Meets Y: Star Wars meets Mobile Suit Gundam meets Medieval European Fantasy.