So, you want to load up on the fanservice
? Throw in a Stripperific
costume and other sexy stuff? There's just one problem: this is a Family TV Network! We don't believe in that stuff around here, so how do we go ahead and do it anyway
One possibility is to make liberal use of Censor Steam
, Censor Suds
, a Scenery Censor
, or a Modesty Towel
. This trope is an alternative.
A Family Friendly Stripper wears an elaborate and theoretically sexy costume—that just happens to cover just about everything. She makes a major show of removing a scarf or other accessory instead of actual clothes. Gyrations and undulations happen, but in a strictly PG-rated manner. And lap dances, if they occur at all, are arms-length affairs.
See also Bikini Bar
open/close all folders
Films — Animation
- Esmeralda's dance at the Feast of Fools in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Her actual dress isn't much skimpier than her regular outfit, but she lifts it enough to show off her legs and bare feet, and at the end she grabs a spear from a guard, sticks it into the stage, and spins around it. She even jumps into Frollo's lap and ties a scarf around him, which he remembers a little too well for anyone's good.
Films — Live-Action
- Because of Jessica Alba's refusal to appear topless, Nancy's performance at Kadie's Club Pecos in Sin City ends up being this.
- None other than Gypsy Rose Lee herself performs an extremely family-friendly strip in Stage Door Canteen.
- Darling Lili contains two striptease scenes but still received a G rating in 1970.
- Amy's act at Club Scum in Hobgoblins.
- The classic example is How I Met Your Mother. The show's Lusty Leopard location is a strip club, but this is still broadcast TV. Also, getting Allyson Hannigan to do a stripper act while pregnant was already pretty unlikely. So the Lusty Leopard is a well-lit strip club, where the performers wear elaborate burlesque costumes that never come off, and where the music is sufficiently muted to permit the dialog.
- Most of the strip clubs visited in CSI: Crime Scene Investigation end up being this.
- At the time "Homer's Night Out" aired on FOX, the animators wouldn't be able to get away with showing an actual stripper. So they made "Princess Kashmir" a Belly Dancer instead.