So, you want to load up on the fanservice? Throw in a Stripperific costume and other sexy stuff? There's just one problem: this is a Family TV Network! We don't believe in that stuff around here, so how do we go ahead and do it anyway? One possibility is to make liberal use of Censor Steam, Censor Suds, a Scenery Censor, or a Modesty Towel. This trope is an alternative. A Family Friendly Stripper wears an elaborate and theoretically sexy costume—that just happens to cover just about everything. She makes a major show of removing a scarf or other accessory instead of actual clothes. Gyrations and undulations happen, but in a strictly PG-rated manner. And lap dances, if they occur at all, are arms-length affairs. See also Bikini Bar.
open/close all folders
Films — Animation
- Esmeralda's dance at the Feast of Fools in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Her actual dress isn't much skimpier than her regular outfit, but she lifts it enough to show off her legs and bare feet, and at the end she grabs a spear from a guard, sticks it into the stage, and spins around it. She even jumps into Frollo's lap and ties a scarf around him, which he remembers a little too well for anyone's good.
- Justified in The Great Mouse Detective. Miss Kitty's song-and-dance number is period-accurate for Victorian-era England, with her just showing some leg in a leotard. Her song also has plenty of Getting Crap Past the Radar.
Films — Live-Action
- Because of Jessica Alba's refusal to appear topless, Nancy's performance at Kadie's Club Pecos in Sin City ends up being this.
- None other than Gypsy Rose Lee herself performs an extremely family-friendly strip in Stage Door Canteen (1943). Mostly, she removes various undergarments, such as a petticoat and garter belt, from under a voluminous skirt and then holds them up.
- Darling Lili contains two striptease scenes but still received a G rating in 1970.
- Amy's act at Club Scum in Hobgoblins.
- In Gilda, securely within Hays Code years, Rita Hayworth performs an amazingly sexy strip-tease ... in which she takes off a single glove.
- Enforced in Shish O Besh, where Panis poses as a very fully-clothed hooker and Sexy Secretary for various cons. Iranian films are subject to fairly strict censorship, and genuine Fanservice is limited to showing the face and a little hair. The rest must be implied.
- The classic example is How I Met Your Mother. The show's Lusty Leopard location is a strip club, but this is still broadcast TV. Also, getting Allyson Hannigan to do a stripper act while pregnant was already pretty unlikely. So the Lusty Leopard is a well-lit strip club, where the performers wear elaborate burlesque costumes that never come off, and where the music is sufficiently muted to permit the dialog.
- Most of the strip clubs visited in CSI end up being this.
- In Eva Ibbotson 's "The Secret of Platform Thirteen", the complicated plan of the magical creatures to kidnap their lost prince back involves the fairy of the group replacing a dancing girl, in order to distract the people. The usual dance number is a striptease where the light is switched off exactly when the last veil could fall. The very prim and proper fairy consents to the plan, but insists on wearing her very long, very decent underwear under the seven veils, just in case there's a problem with the light switch. Hilarity ensues.
- Magnum TOKYO was a stripper character, but naturally he only stripped down to his wrestling tights.