and the Love Interest
have just saved the day, and they've done so in a very large, very public place with a very noticeable audience - say, a theatre performance, or an orchestra recital. Having saved the day, our heroes are receiving a round of applause (although the audience may not know exactly why
, seeing as from their perspective all that's happened is that a couple of jokers have just burst in and completely stage-crashed what might have been a very interesting performance; usually it's because someone very prominent, such as the President of the United States or the Pope, is present and has started applauding because he thinks what's happened is part of the performance
or is a lot more entertaining than the scheduled show).
Then, swept up in the moment, the Hero and the Love Interest decide that, then and there, they'll confirm their recently developed feelings for each other. By kissing in front of everyone. It's a major 'awww' moment, and usually to make it even more romantic, the applause increases in volume and intensity; ah, True Love, now this
is worth applauding!
A subtrope of The Big Damn Kiss
. See also Smooch of Victory
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Averted in Blood+: The hero defeats the Big Bad on stage at an opera house, her Bodyguard Crush confesses his love to her, and they kiss... in front of an audience of two. Also, the whole scene was rather dark, instead of straight-up happy like most that follow this trope.
- Julia and Ran share their First Kiss at the beginning of a ZLAY concert in Strawberry Shake Sweet. Of course, the whole thing was set up by the oh-so-Genre Savvy ZLAY band members in the first place.
Films — Animation
Films — Live Action
Live Action TV
- Linda and Lawrence literally do this at a concert (with a camera projected them onto a big screen as well) in Phineas and Ferb.
- Recess: The episode "The Experiment" has T.J. and Spinelli kiss, as an experiment, in front of all their friends and all the kids in the playground, despite T.J. and Spinelli's request in not wanting to kiss in public in the first place, thanks to their friends inability to keep a secret about it.
- Johnny Cash proposed to June Carter onstage during a concert in Canada. She did not know in advance that he was going to do it. After singing the duet "Jackson", Cash suddenly asked Carter "Will you marry me?" Carter tried to talk Cash into proceeding to the next song, but Cash refused to continue the concert until she answered him. Finally she said "yes" and they kissed. Legend has it that the crowd went wild.