Bob is either already talking or about to say something, but Alice wants to playfully silence him. So what does she do? Why, put the finger muzzle over his mouth of course!
Like a regular muzzle prevents dogs from opening their mouths, the Finger Muzzle
prevents another person from opening his/her mouth by placing a finger over his/her mouth. It's used by both men and women, but more often than not, it's an intimate gesture. Sometimes, a kiss will follow the gesture. Or it will just be a means for a character to act flirtatious.
Not to be confused with Finger On Lips
or Finger Gun
. Related to the "Shut Up" Kiss
and Putting a Hand Over His Mouth
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In You've Got Mail, when Kathleen is about to insult Joe, he shuts her up in this manner and says: "Let me just help you to not say something you're just gonna torture yourself about for years to come."
- This gesture always comes before Dianne Weist's Catch Phrase, "Don't speak," in Bullets Over Broadway.
- In the animated version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Esmeralda shushes a hurt Phoebus with a finger to his lips.
- Vince Vaughn's character is silenced in this manner in Wedding Crashers while he is tied up in bed and is straddled by Rachel McAdams' brother. It Makes Sense in Context.
- In Dumb and Dumber, this is parodied as Jim Carrey does this to the female love interest at the airport; it's funny because she is so obviously not into him at this point.
Live Action TV
- Game of Thrones: Margaery Tyrell does this to her husband Renly Baratheon; he's quoting philosophy, but she wants him to shut up and focus on consummating their marriage.
- Happens in Episode 13 of Season 1 in Glee.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Towards the end of "Surprise" Buffy and Angel start kissing passionately, and Angel makes a half-hearted attempt to forestall the inevitable.
Buffy: Don't. (finger on lips) Just kiss me.
- That incident leads to the return of Angelus, so it Book Ends the scene where a spell restores Angel's soul, only for the portal to Hell to form behind an unknowing Angel's back, watched by a horrified Buffy.
Angel: What's happening?
Buffy: Shhh... (finger on lips) Don't worry about it. Close your eyes.
- Ally McBeal: Larry Paul shushes Ally with his index finger when she thinks he's going to break up with her because his ex wants him back and they have a kid together. Nah, we knew that Ally is his number one girl.
- Subverted in Primeval when Abby puts her finger on Connor's lips in episode 5.5, he keeps talking.
Abby: When I put my finger on your lips it means you stop talking.
- The Eleventh Doctor has this as a super-power.
- The Lizzie Bennet Diaries: Lydia covers her sister Jane's lips with a finger when Jane doesn't go along with Lydia's improvisation in episode 20 "Enjoy the Adorbs".