open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In "The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru," the sixth Haruhi Suzumiya light novel, Mikuru shuts a mumbling Kyon up with her finger, which she then brings to her own lips.
- In Sailor Moon S: The Movie and in the 11th volume of the manga, Luna flies around with Kakeru after becoming a human so she can be with him for one night. When he nearly says her name, she uses this gesture to keep him quiet.
- In Darker Than Black, Eelis Kastinen to Kirsi/Yin in a flashback. Later, Yin reverses it in a Meaningful Echo.
- Kyo Kusanagi does this to his girlfriend Yuki in Tatsuya Shinjyouji's The King of Fighters '94 manga. This is because he has just rescued her from a very cruel Deadly Game, and since Yuki is rather traumatised by the experience Kyo thinks he's unworthy of getting a Smooch of Victory from her.
- In the Empath: The Luckiest Smurf story "Days Of Auld Lang Smurf", the Imaginarium version of Papa Smurf's wife does this to him when they're alone with each other.
- In You've Got M@il, when Kathleen is about to insult Joe, he shuts her up in this manner and says: "Let me just help you to not say something you're just gonna torture yourself about for years to come."
- This gesture always comes before Dianne Weist's Catch Phrase, "Don't speak," in Bullets Over Broadway.
- In the animated version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Esmeralda shushes a hurt Phoebus with a finger to his lips.
- Vince Vaughn's character is silenced in this manner in Wedding Crashers while he is tied up in bed and is straddled by Rachel McAdams' brother. It Makes Sense in Context.
- In Dumb and Dumber, this is parodied as Jim Carrey does this to the female love interest at the airport; it's funny because she is so obviously not into him at this point.
- In the Netflix movie True Memoirs of an International Assassin, the Comedic Hero does this to an Action Girl (copying the move from the fictional character he writes) and gets his finger painfully twisted.
Live Action TV
- Game of Thrones: Margaery Tyrell does this to her husband Renly Baratheon; he's quoting philosophy, but she wants him to shut up and focus on consummating their marriage.
- Happens in Episode 13 of Season 1 in Glee.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Towards the end of "Surprise" Buffy and Angel start kissing passionately, and Angel makes a half-hearted attempt to forestall the inevitable.
Angel: Maybe we shouldn't--
Buffy: Don't. (finger on lips) Just kiss me.
- Ally McBeal: Larry Paul shushes Ally with his index finger when she thinks he's going to break up with her because his ex wants him back and they have a kid together. Nah, we knew that Ally is his number one girl.
- Subverted in Primeval when Abby puts her finger on Connor's lips in episode 5.5, he keeps talking.
Abby: When I put my finger on your lips it means you stop talking.
- The Eleventh Doctor has this as a super-power.
- In Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Larxene does this to Axel.
- The Lizzie Bennet Diaries: Lydia covers her sister Jane's lips with a finger when Jane doesn't go along with Lydia's improvisation in episode 20 "Enjoy the Adorbs".
- From the Archer episode "Lo Scandalo", after Krieger has just finished Disposing of a Body.
- A full hand variety is used in the Gravity Falls episode "The Inconveniencing" on Mabel by Dipper. While it accomplishes its purpose, it's also foiled by Mabel apparently licking his hand
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic features a "hoof muzzle" in the episode "Secret of My Excess", when Rarity does this to Spike when he tries to confess his love as they are falling to their apparent doom.
- In Danny Phantom, Sam does this to Danny at the end of "Reign Storm" when he stressing himself out to figure out what occurred behind the scenes in his last battle with the Ghost King.