Raw Eggs Make You Stronger
When I was a lad, I ate four dozen eggs
Every morning to help me get large!
And now that I'm grown, I eat five dozen eggs
And I'm roughly the size of a barge!
When a character is trying to get stronger or improve his exercise routine, he'll almost always be seen drinking raw eggs at some point. One common reason for this is the belief that raw eggs have more protein than cooked eggs, the other being that it makes a character look tough and determined, since it takes a real hardass to want to down something so unpalatable
Decidedly not Truth in Television
— for one thing, if you do this, you risk salmonella poisoning; for another the body can't digest animal proteins without denaturing through some chemical process (such as heating), so eating eggs raw would only be slightly more beneficial than skipping digestion and throwing them directly into the toilet.
Made famous by Rocky
, so this trope shows up frequently in Training Montages
set to "Gonna Fly Now" or "Eye of the Tiger."
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- A thing the Red Hulk picked up with his tenure with the Avengers was eating raw eggs whole (as if he needed it; and even if the writers remembered the real-life rule, there'd be no problem since, as a Hulk, he's got a healing factor and since Red Hulk also can raise his temperature, they probably just end up cooking inside of him anyway). Noh-Varr seems to like these too (well, he is an alien). Spider-Man, on the other hand, is so disgusted he throws up with his mask on.
Films — Animation
- Disney's Beauty and the Beast has Gaston eating several dozen eggs for breakfast every day. Possibly with shells on.
Gaston: When I was a lad I ate four dozen eggs every morning to help me get large
and now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaaaaaaarge!
Films — Live-Action
- In Stand by Me, this trope is subverted, where Lard Ass Hogan eats a raw egg to ready himself to vomit on cue.
- Rocky. The famous "egg-drinking scene" is the Trope Maker.
- In You Don't Mess with the Zohan, the Phantom hatches eggs and eats live full-formed chicks from them.
- As part of the Training Montage in Run Fat Boy Run, Dennis attempts to drink raw eggs. but immediately spits them back up.
- Referenced in the song "I Will Make You A Man" in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- Played for Laughs in Never Back Down. The protagonist and his best friend are shown drinking eggs during a training montage, and the friend immediately chucks them back up, to the dismay of the hero.
- Played for Laughs again in Grudge Match. Lightning gives Henry "Razor" Sharp a glass of raw eggs, and Henry asks him if fighters still do this.
- Parodied in They Call Me Bruce. The main character tries to do it but decides it would be better to make egg foo-young with them.
- Played reasonably straight in the movie Hanna. After being on the run and having met up with Knepler, Hanna asks if she can have an egg when being offered breakfast, which she drinks raw, displaying both her survivalist roots and how badass she is.
- Also parodied in The Prize Fighter with Don Knotts and Tim Conway. Tim is Don's coach and tries to make Don drink raw eggs. Don demands Tim drink the eggs first to prove that it works and Tim ends up making scrambled eggs.
- Variant, for vocal powers instead of stamina ones: in Brazilian biopic Dois Filhos de Francisco, the children who will grow up to be a famous country duo (one of them, at least; the other dies young and is replaced by another brother) is forced to eat raw eggs by their father who wants them to be musicians.
- The serial killer in Hunting Humans mentions once having a neighbor who saw herself as a health nut, so she ate raw eggs every morning. He puts her out of her misery by poisoning a few of them.
- Subverted and Played for Laughs in That '70s Show. Kelso attempts to impress Jackie by working out and during a conversation with her announces that he's going to drink a cup of raw eggs. She tries to say something and he rudely stops her, drinking the eggs anyway. When he's done, she reminds him that he's allergic to eggs.
- Lizzie McGuire's mother served her glasses of raw eggs as she trained for a rhythmic gymnastics competition, but Lizzie dumped the eggs into a frying pan instead of drinking them.
- In The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Will prepares to fight the guy who spun him on his head on the opening credits. He goes through a full Training Montage, complete with drinking raw eggs, and by that we mean, trying to swallow them and then instantly spitting them out and fainting.
- Hal on Malcolm in the Middle trains for a race-walking competition by drinking a shake mixed with this, plus raw ground beef and some supplement powder.
- Trip tries this in Power Rangers Time Force in front of Circuit, who swiftly exclaims "that's just gross".
- SCTV did a parody of Rocky where boxer Hefty Neil (John Candy) cracks a half-dozen eggs into a glass - then pours them into a frying pan.
- The Smoking Gun Presents: World's Dumbest Performers 11 has #2 downing a dozen raw eggs. He doesn't last long before puking them up.
- Sylvester Stallone and David Letterman drank eggs on The Late Show while Stallone was on promoting Rocky: The Musical. Later in the show Letterman got Theo James (there to promote Divergent) to drink them too.
- Diff'rent Strokes: When Kimberly is training for the Olympics (she's a figure skater) Mr. Drummond feeds her raw eggs.
- Done in the Duck Dodgers episode about Queen and High telling anecdotes about Dodgers based on gags omitted form other episodes. One flashback has Marvin trying to invoke this trope, but finds out that Dodgers loves raw eggs and that the way he drinks it is too disgusting for poor Martian eyes.
- Steve Rogers apparently drinks raw eggs for breakfast in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
- Hey Arnold!
- Harold tried drinking raw eggs while training for an arm-wrestling match, but they made him want to throw up.
- In another episode, as part of a Training Montage, Grandpa cracks some eggs in a glass... only to pour them into a skillet.
- SpongeBob SquarePants:
- In the episode "The Great Snail Race", SpongeBob puts Gary through Training from Hell to win the snail race. At one point, he maxes Gary an "energy drink" which includes raw eggs, simply "because they're cliché!"
- In another episode, "MuscleBob BuffPants", SpongeBob, wearing fake muscular arms to impress weightlifters at the beach, boasts "I start off with 20 raw eggs everyday. But that's just me."
- In Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Retired Badass Wildcat is shown using raw eggs in his "Tiger Tonic." Lampshaded when Batman points out that it's actually incredibly unsafe to consume raw eggs.
- South Park
- Subverted when Randy is trying to get in shape. In a scene lifted pretty much exactly out of Rocky, he gets up early, staggers into the kitchen, cracks a couple of eggs into a glass... and then pours them into a frying pan and starts scrambling them. While cracking open a beer.
- Also subverted in an earlier episode; Jesus must train himself for a boxing match against Satan, and he refuses Kyle's offer of raw eggs.
- In The Venture Bros., Hank gives Brock a glass of raw eggs when he starts training to get his secret agent license back.
Hank: "When I'm through with you, you're going to eat lightning and crap thunder!"
Dean: "It looks more like he's going to eat eggs and crap... eggs."