Ready To Rumble
is a 2000 film starring David Arquette
and Scott Caan as Gordie Boggs and Sean Dawkins, a pair of friends who believe that Pro Wrestling Is Real
. After they witness their favorite wrestler, Jimmy King (Oliver Platt) lose the WCW World Heavyweight Championship
to Diamond Dallas Page
(Diamond Dallas Page
), they decide to help their idol win back his title. Hilarity Ensues
Tropes used in Ready To Rumble:
- As Himself: Many WCW wrestlers appear in the film as themselves, including Goldberg, Diamond Dallas Page, Booker T, Curt Hennig, Sid Vicious, and Sting, as well as the official commentary team, referees, and the Nitro Girls.
- Big Bad: Titus Sinclair.
- Big "NO!": Gordie and Sean do one when Bam Bam Bigelow, Perry Saturn, Juventud Guerrera, and Prince Iaukea execute the four post massacre on King.
- Book Ends: The movie starts and ends at the Lusk Stop 'N Shop with Sean talking to three children about Jimmy King.
- Cool Old Guy: Sal Bandini.
- Expy: Three of the characters in this film are based on the following Real Life wrestling personalities:
- Honey Trap: Sasha does this to Gordie.
- Idiot Hero: Gordie.
- Jerkass: The shopkeeper at the beginning of the movie, as played by Ahmet Zappa.
- Kindhearted Simpleton: Gordie.
- Large Ham: Gordie.
- The Mole: Sasha.
- Pro Wrestling Is Real: As stated above, the two main characters believe so, but while this seems to be subverted early on, the movie isn't very clear on it.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: The scenario of King getting screwed by Sinclair was actually based on a real life issue between Eric Bischoff and Ric Flair. In April 1998, Flair was fired from WCW for allegedly no-showing a taping of Thunder. By the end of the year, Flair was back in WCW after filing a lawsuit against Bischoff.
- Reality Subtext: David Arquette actually got to win the WCW World Heavyweight Title as part of WCW's attempt to promote the movie, which was denounced by EVERY SINGLE WRESTLING FAN ON THE PLANET!
- Rebuilt Pedestal: Gordie and Sean discover that their hero is a drunken scumbag who left his wife and son and made off with his parents' mobile home, and attempt to reform him.
- Smug Snake: Sinclair.
- Straight Man: Sean.
- Villainous Breakdown: After King regains the WCW Title, Sinclair has one at the end before Gordie and Sean throw him into the crowd to get ripped to pieces ("Whaddya talking about? I made wrestling! ME! I MADE THEM ALL!!!")
- The Worst Seat in the House: Gordie and Sean get BOTH nosebleed seats and a column in front of them when they are at Nitro in Cheyenne.