open/close all folders
Voiced by: Kristin Fairlie
Emma has never surfed before, but she's stoked to learn this summer. She's sweet, honest, optimistic and a bit naive. Although she's super social and best friends with lots of dudes, she totally loses it around guys she's crushing on.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Kelly's Veronica for Ty.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Emma was able to wrestle Fin to the ground and pin her after a short struggle in "Chum Music".
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The redhead.
- Dogged Nice Girl: To Ty.
- Expy: Of Jen Masterson and Bridgette of Total Drama.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Johnny, Ripper, and possibly Ty do.
- Na´ve Newcomer: This is her first time trying to join in "grom culture", and it shows.
- Oblivious to Love: Is oblivious to Johnny's feelings.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: And it's pretty effective.
- Shipper on Deck: Shipped Reef/Fin in the 1st season but shipped Reef/Lo in "Channel Surfers"
- Town Girls: The Neither to Fin's Butch and Lo's Femme.
Voiced by: Katie Crown
Fin is a total adrenaline junkie and not afraid of anything. She's a girl but tough, with a quick wit and tons of confidence, basically the ultimate "guy's girl." Fin might be best surfer out of all groms, although Reef would be quick to argue that point.
- Almost Kiss: With Reef.
- Big Eater: In "Slumber Party Animals", she single-handedly empties out a mini-fridge in the Royal Suite.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The blonde.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: In "The Captain, The Grom, His Hope, Her Dream"
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She tried to break up Reef and Lo's relationship because Lo treated Reef like a servant, well at least that's what she says. Plus in the past she has repeatedly tried to (and succeeded in) wrecking Reef's love life
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Or in this case, "blonde with a kind of orange-ish spray tan".)
- Expy: Of Nikki from 6teen and Gwen from Total Drama.
- Gasshole: The best burper on the show, and possibly the most frequent. She can burp powerfully enough to shake the camera, and even some of her weaker burps can blow a person's hair back.
- I Have Brothers: They made her eat worms when she was a kid, which is why she doesn't mind eating them when being forced to Eat That.
- The Lad-ette: She doesn't do 'girly'. In "Heartbreak Hotel", she easily out-machoes all of the guys during their 'Manly Dude' weekend.
- One of the Boys: She's just as brash, just as headstrong, just as action-crazed and generally just as much a "dude" as the other guys she hangs out with. The A-plot of "Heartbreak Hotel" is them coming to realise that, when she wants to be, Fin can be more of a man than they are, something that they find unbearable.
- Only Sane Woman: Given that she is a big-sisterly figure toward Emma and is Closer to Earth than Lo.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: With Reef.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: While it may not be shown much, Fin does have a more feminine side.
- Town Girls: The Butch to Emma's Neither and Lo's Femme.
- Tsundere: Type A towards Reef.
Voiced by: Jeff Geddis
Reef is good-looking and athletic, but he's also a little goofy and tends to overreact in every situation. He's loves to talk trash to Fin and has a competitive streak a mile wide, so it's a good thing he has the surf skills to back it up.
- Almost Kiss: With Fin.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: To Bummer in "Mr. Wahine."
- Book Dumb: His mind is dedicated to surfing, and only surfing. When the lack of waves leads him into book reading to occupy his time, however... see Megane for details.
- Embarrassing First Name: Leslie.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: More of a "jerk" than being "evil", but he greatly cares for his mom.
- Expy: Of Jonesy from 6teen and Duncan from Total Drama.
- Flanderization: Started out as a total Jonesy clone for the first string of episodes, but eventually became whinier, cockier (even more so than Jonesy), more narcissistic, more in-apologetic and, overall, just more of a jerk. He even tried to weasel out of the strike by begging Lo to go with her!
- Gasshole: Another contender for most frequent burper on the show, although unlike Fin or Broseph he's not winning any contests.
- Groin Attack: He just wouldn't be a male Fresh TV protagonist without some of these painful moments.
- I Can't Believe I'm Saying This: When two girls asked him out on a date, his refusal by claiming he was taken was this trope.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While still arrogant, he actually wasn't a bad guy for the first 10 episodes.
- Jerk With A Heart Of Jerk: Became one through Flanderization.
- Megane: Briefly enters a 'smart' stage when the ocean was flat.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: With Fin.
- Straw Misogynist: Probably the main reason that Fin's generally very hostile towards Reef is that often voices his opinion of women being inferior to men when it comes to things that he considers "manly stuff," like surfing—however, Fin has proven herself to actually be a lot better than Reef at pretty much all that he considers "manly stuff."
Lauren "Lo" Ridgemount
Voiced by: Anastasia Phillips
Lo's the middle child and only daughter of the insanely wealthy Ridgemount family, owners of the Ridgemount Hotel chain and the flagship Surfer's Paradise Ridgemount Resort, and she has always been able to sweet talk her parents into anything by smiling and promising to love her daddy forever. And her mom want so badly to be "the cool mom" that she lets Lo get away with murder. When her dad decides it's time for her to earn her keep, Lo starts working at the resort. But since she's never done chores in her life (other than simply cleaning her room or doing the dishes), she's terrible at her job and never lasts long in any department.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The brunette.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Saw Emma as a threat to her relationship with Reef in "Dirty Little Secret, Nerdy Little Secrets"."He looked at another girl? Where? I'll mash her face like a potato!"
- Expy: Of Caitlin from 6teen and Lindsay from Total Drama. And, for some, of Courtney from Total Drama, especially in the second season.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Any of Lo's schemes to get in good with her dad.
- Fallen Princess: The reason Lo was forced to work at the resort for the summer was that she had thrown this "End of the School Year" party that got so out-of-hand that it not only attracted the attention of at least one newspaper and TV-news crew, but the Royal Canadian Mounted Police were called in at one point. For that reason, her dad forced to move from their family's penthouse to the hotel's staff house and made to work like a common employee until her dad feels that she's been suitably made to understand the error of her ways.
- Flower in Her Hair: Always sports one.
- In-Series Nickname: Almost everyone calls her "Lo" instead of "Lauren"—two of the few people that call her by her real name are her dad and Rosie, the head of housekeeping at Surfer's Paradise.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She can be out-and-out sweet at times, despite being an Alpha Bitch.
- Matchmaker Crush: Many fans theorize that she had a crush on Reef in the first season, despite trying to set him and Fin up.
- Not So Above It All: She's actually seen having a Burping Contest with Johnny and Fin in the episode "Brofinger", despite normally being the Girly Girl of the three girls.
- Shipper on Deck:
- Shipped Reef/Fin until she and Reef started dating in the second season.
- Ships her brother with Emma.
- Spoiled Brat: When she's not being a Spoiled Sweet.
- Spoiled Sweet: When she's not being a Spoiled Brat.
- Town Girls: The Femme to Fin's Butch and Emma's Neither.
- Tsundere: a Type B towards Reef.
Voiced by: Mazin Elsadig
A natural born surfer, Broseph is a totally mellow guy with a chilled perspective on the world. Even though he's late for everything, and often causes mix-ups the others have to fix, and is the reigning king of moochers, everybody still loves Broseph.
- Book Dumb: Not as bad as Reef, though.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: At the end of "Brofinger", he actually donates several surfboards to a group of rhinos.
- Expy: Of Jude from 6teen and Geoff from Total Drama.
- Extreme Omnivore: Let's say he follows a 5-day rule. He is also seen drinking ketchup and enjoying it. He talks Emma into trying it too, but she didn't like it very much.
- Gasshole: Thought he doesn't burp as frequently as Reef or Fin, he can match Fin in power or at least come close. For example: in the final episode, he was in no condition to surf because of his upset stomach, but ends up winning the men's tournament anyway when said upset stomach causes him to burp powerfully enough to propel him backwards into a 1080, beating Reef's score of 9.5 with a perfect 10.
- Hairy Hammerspace: Complete with Rummage Fail!
- Surfer Dude: Many of the guys in the show are, of course, but Brospeh is an exceptional example.
Voiced by: Arnold Pinnock
Johnny is stylish, witty and cool, and he knows the hotel inside and out, which is invaluable when it comes to a getting the others out of a jam. All he asks in return is that they occasionally give him some surfing lessons, because that's the one area where he really stinks.
- Better as Friends: What he and Emma ultimately decide.
- Butt-Monkey: When it comes to his crush on Emma
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Emma.
- Expy: Of Wyatt from 6teen and DJ of Total Drama.
- Number Two: To Bummer—technically, Johnny's the concierge and not the assistant manager, but he typically acts as Bummer's assistant. And it's been stated that Johnny is Bummer's favorite staff member.
- Only Sane Man: He tends to be the most rational and sensible of the group, guys and girls alike.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Out of all the summer staff, he's probably got the highest rank (working as the hotel's concierge).
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives this to the Marvin twins' lazy parents, to a point where even BUMMER has to agree.
- The Worf Effect: Very quickly goes from being one of the best surfers in the series to one of the worst.
The older brother of Lo and George and the oldest child of Mr. and Mrs. Ridgemount.
Voiced by: Jamie Spilchuk
- Aloof Big Brother: Can be this, but ultimately, he's a pretty nice guy.
- Eternally Pearly-White Teeth: So much that with proper lighting, it blinded Johnny.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: He's definitely the most mature and responsible of the three Ridgemount-kids. In fact, despite being born into a wealthy family, Ty's not opposed to working for his spending money, unlike his sister was when she was first forced to work at the hotel.
- Oblivious to Love: Is oblivious to Emma's feelings.
- What Does He See in Her?: When Ty starts dating Kelly.
Voiced by: Cory Doran
- Bad Boss (combined with Mean Boss and Control Freak): And how! He really doesn't seem to care about anyone or anything outside of himself, his job and kissing up to the guests and Lo's dad, and he freaks out if even the tiniest thing isn't perfect for the guests at Surfer's Paradise. To name a few examples —
- He's often calling the staff (particularly the groms) things like "mutants" or "slackers" and making their work lives miserable in countless other ways.
- He makes them stay in terrible living conditions (and presumably keeping Lo's dad in the dark about it).
- He's often giving out strikes and threatening to fire (or even outright firing) employees for ridiculously petty reasons—he once Fin a strike simply for yawning and according to Johnny in the series' penultimate episode, Bummer apparently once fired a female employee simply because Bummer thought that she "looked at [Bummer] funny" (it later turned out that the girl just had a lazy eye).
- By acting as buffer between Lo's dad and the employees who work below him (including Lo), he's most likely keeping his boss in the dark about certain aspects of the hotel, such as the conditions of the staff house and embezzling money from the hotel (such as depleting most of the summer staff's food budget to buy himself a personal golf cart). It's very likely that Bummer would lose his job if Lo's dad were to discover his antics.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Has deeply tanned skin and blonde hair. However, he is also...
- Ambiguously Brown: In "500 Days of Bummer," he takes off his shirt to reveal some pretty pale skin under his tan lines, though this could just be a quick sight gag. In all other appearances he makes without a shirt, his skin is a uniform shade of tan.
- Didn't Think This Through: A variation—in the first season finale, after Johnny informs him of the ocean being completely flat (meaning that the staff can't get any surfing in), Bummer's happy to hear this at first, because he initially assumes that no surfing means no slacking off from the staff. It's not until after Johnny reminds him that as a surf resort, surfing is the primary thing that people come for at Surfer's Paradise that Bummer realizes that the ocean being flat means that guests staying at the hotel won't be able to surf either.
- In-Series Nickname: His real name is "Andrew Baumer," but nearly everyone calls him "Bummer" (mostly behind his back, but sometimes to his face).
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Leaning more towards Jerkass in Season Two.
Voiced by: Sergio Di Zio
- Gasshole: The only Gasshole on the show known for farting rather than burping. Meaningful Name, don't you think?
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Lance.
- Third-Option Love Interest: Is briefly one for Emma.
- Those Two Guys: With No-Pants Lance.
- Toilet Humor: His Meaningful Name.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has this—it's revealed what his natural hair color is.
The Big Kahuna
Voiced by: N/A
Wipeout the Mascot
Voiced by: Sergio Di Zio
- Butt-Monkey: He gets very little respect—even Captain Clam, the mascot of Surfer's Paradise archrival hotel, gets more respect than he does.
- Expressive Hair: More correctly, an expressive plastic fin.
- The Faceless: It's never revealed who wears the costume—all that can be gathered is that the person wearing it is a guy, he's most likely a grom and is probably a local.
The husband of Mrs. Ridgemount and father of Ty, Lo and George, Mr. Ridgemount is the founder, owner and head of Ridgemount Resorts.
Voiced by: Jamie Watson
- Dating What Daddy Hates: He doesn't approve of Lo's relationship with Reef in the second season, and openly expresses it—near the beginning of the beginning of the series' penultimate episode, he fears what could happen should Reef and Lo actually end up getting married as adults.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Acts like one—turns out to be rather fitting since in the first season finale, he was in the Army at one point.
- The Faceless: Mostly—his entire face was never seen on the show, but there is some fanart that shows what his entire face might look like (and there are certain episodes where parts of his face are seen).
- Green Eyes: As it turns out, yeah.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Even if he is kind of a jerk, Mr. Ridgemount really does love and care about his family, especially his daughter—ultimately, he just wants what's best for Lo and has expressed pride in her achievements, such as her part in helping the gang take down Captain Ron in the first season finale.
- Mean Boss: Downplayed—while he is kind of jerk, he's not nearly as mean as Bummer.
- No Indoor Voice: Generally speaks very loudly and tends to yell a lot.
- Papa Wolf: He seems rather protective of Lo—for example, in "Clinging in the Rain," he forced Bummer to look for Lo and make sure that she was safe, or else he would fire Bummer. Plus, assuming that Mr. Ridgemount doesn't know about the condition of the staff house that's provided for the summer staff (which is very likely), Bummer would most likely lose his job for actually his boss's daughter stay in such a horrible place.
- Self-Made Man: And he really wants his kids to take after his example.
The wife of Mr. Ridgemount and the mother of Ty, Lo and George.
Voiced by: Emilie Claire Barlow
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Can be this to Lo at times.
- Pretty Fly, for a White Guy: Her slang can be...irksome.
- Trophy Wife: Was thought to be this at first, but it's revealed in a flashback in "The Day the Sea Stood Still" that she and her husband sometime when they were in high school or college.
The general manager of the Pirate Ship and head of the wait-staff, Kelly's the direct supervisor for Emma and Lo (until the latter gets transferred to the hotel's housekeeping department in "Endless Bummer").
Voiced by: Lauren Lipson
- Alpha Bitch: Towards the Groms, especially Emma and Lo.
- Bad Boss: Again, towards the Groms.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Emma's Betty for Ty's Archie.
- Gold Digger: She only dated Ty for his family's money.
- Romantic False Lead: Starts dating Ty because he's rich.
The younger brother of Ty and Lo and the youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Ridgemount.
Voiced by: Gage Munroe