Fullmetal Alchemist tells the tale of two brothers, Edward Elric and Alphonse Elric, who attempt to resurrect their dead mother in an alchemical ritual. However, to their horror, the ritual goes horribly wrong, crippling both their bodies. Edward loses both his arm and leg, while Alphonse loses his entire body and has his soul attached to a suit of armor. Thus, they set off in search of the Philosopher's Stone, an artifact they believe will help them regain their bodies.The series began as a manga written by Hiromu Arakawa, with many adaptations and spin-off material following. It was widely acclaimed in Japan and its success also reached overseas. Enough to name a trope or two.Not to be confused with Full Metal Panic! or Full Metal Jacket.
Works in this franchise include:
- Manga.Fullmetal Alchemist: The original manga series by Hiromu Arakawa
- Anime.Fullmetal Alchemist: The 2003 anime loosely adapted from the manga
- Fullmetal Alchemist And The Broken Angel: An Action RPG for the PS2 released on 2003, taking place between episodes 17 and 18 of the 2003 anime
- Fullmetal Alchemist 2: Curse Of The Crimson Elixir: An RPG that serves as a prequel to the above but also takes place in its own continuity, released on 2004
- Fullmetal Alchemist 3: The Girl Who Succeeds God: A third RPG released in 2005, only released in Japan
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Dream Carnival: A Fighting Game released on 2004
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Dual Sympathy: A Nintendo DS adaptation of the 2003 anime, released alongside the third RPG above in 2005.
- A live-action adaptation movie has been announced for a planned 2017 release.