Portrait of the artist as a young cow.
Hiromu Arakawa (荒川 弘 Arakawa Hiromu
, born May 8, 1973) is a Japanese manga artist from Hokkaidō mainly known for her Magnum Opus Fullmetal Alchemist
. Born and raised on a dairy farm, Arakawa spent several years helping out her family farm while taking painting lessons after graduating high school before moving to Tokyo to become a manga assistant. She currently works on Silver Spoon
, a Slice of Life
manga focused on agricultural life school life.
Tropes applying to Arakawa or her works:
- Author Appeal: Now memetic. "Men should be buff! Women should be vavoom!"
- Author Avatar: She usually appears as a bespectacled cow.
- Mood Whiplash: Nobody else does it quite like she does... You'll frequently find several swinging moods in the same scene, let alone the same chapter, yet she makes it all work. She often includes the use of Super-Deformed or otherwise Art Shifted caricatures for emphasis: it's a trademark. And, beware all ye the Bishie Sparkle and Wingding Eyes: the uses are many and various... and, not all of them are uniquely humorous.
- Moustache de Plume: Her real name is Hiromi, but she writes under the more androgynous version "Hiromu".
- Reclusive Artist: To a degree; it is really hard to find her actual image, as opposed to her bespectacled cow form.
- She's an unusual example because while she's reclusive about her appearence she's quite willing to talk about herself. Heck, Noble Farmer is basically her autobiography!
- Shown Their Work: Fullmetal Alchemist shows that she did a lot of research on both alchemy (famous alchemists, theoretical alchemic laws, uses for Philosopher's Stone) and chemistry (human composition, conservation of matter). Any breaks from them seem to be either Rule of Cool, Rule of Funny, or the alchemists in question knowing what they're doing (more so than can be shown with just a few images and some relatively small speech bubbles).
- For the wuxia-inspired Hero Tales, Arakawa and her team traveled to where the series is set to see some Chinese architecture and way of living.
- Write What You Know: Silver Spoon takes place in Hokkaido, and features the life and times of Agricultural high school students. Arakawa was herself born from a farming family and attended such a school. Naturally, the depiction of the life there is very accurate. Noble Farmer describes her life on her parents' farm; the protagonists of Fullmetal Alchemist have their adventures all over the place, but they're from a small town in the country.