K. A. Applegate (known in her later years as Katherine Applegate) is an American author of young adult science fiction, including the very successful Animorphs
series with Michael Grant
. She now has an official account
. She is also the winner of the 2013 Newberry Medal
for The One and Only Ivan
. She is not
retired, no matter what Animorphs fans might tell you - she's just writing under a different pen name now.
Works by K. A. Applegate with their own trope pages include:
Other works by K. A. Applegate include
- The Only And Only Ivan
- The Buffalo Storm
- Home of the Brave
- The Roscoe Riley Rules Series
- The Making Out series, originally published as Boyfriends/Girlfriends
- The Making Waves series, originally published as Ocean City
Other tropes related to to K. A. Applegate:
- Approval of God: She's been very supportive of Animorphs fandom. Except the artwork of Tobias doing it with Harry Potter.
- Creator Couple: With Michael Grant in Animorphs, Everworld, Remnants, Making Out, and Eve and Adam.
- Dear Negative Reader: She wrote a letter to the Animorphs fans who didn't like the ending. Even if you think the ending was bad, you have to admit that the letter was pretty fucking awesome.
- Digital Piracy Is Evil: Averted - in 2011, when the Animorphs books were still out of print, she stated she had no objection to people continuing to circulate them as free ebooks. She would've preferred to have them officially available for sale in ebook form, but it wasn't something Scholastic was actively doing at the time.
- Genre Adultery: She commits it all over the place. A little-known fact is that Animorphs wasn't her debut - she wrote YA realistic romance novels before that, making Animorphs, a sci-fi series, different in every way possible. Then, after Remnants, she started working on more literary works; none of them are at all similar to her late '90's, early '00's series. Then she committed adultery on that genre when she co-wrote Eve and Adam with her husband. And that's not even mentioning her chapter books for beginner readers. Basically, she's a really, really versatile writer who has no one single genre.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: This is what she wants Animorphs fans to do.
- Moustache de Plume: Ambiguous initials sub-type. Her full name is Katherine Alice Applegate.
- Old Shame: Back in The Nineties, she wrote Barf-O-Rama, which is exactly what it sounds like based on the name: disgusting books built around barf scenes. For obvious reasons, it was done under a pseudonym.
- Really, anything she did before Animorphs. And even then, she didn't like the endings of Everworld and Remnants any more than her fans did.
- She Also Didů: Applegate was a ghostwriter for Sweet Valley Twins, a Spin-Off of Sweet Valley High, before she started writing her own books.