Hirohiko Araki (born Toshiyuki Araki), is the legendary manga-ka behind JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
, one of the longest-running manga series ever, running continuously from 1987 to date. He is well-known for his distinctive (read: FABULOUS!) art style, incredibly clever fights, use of strange character poses, and the fact he never ages◊
. He's also almost perfectly symmetrical◊
Other works by Hirohiko Araki:
- Buso Poker (1980)
- Autoto Man (1982)
- Virginia ni Yohroshiku (1982)
- Magic Boy BT (魔少年ビーティー mashōnen bītī 1982–1983)
- Baoh (1984–1985)
- Gorgeous Irene (1985–1986)
- The Story of the Girl's Mansion (1985)
- The Girl That Came to the Slums (1986)
- The Lives of Eccentrics (2004)
- Under Execution, Under Jailbreak (1999)
- Dolce and His Master (1999)
- Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe. Episode 16: At a Confessional (1999)
- Dead Man's Questions (1999)
- Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe - Mutsukabezaka (2006)
- Front cover of Cell (scientific journal) (September 7, 2007): Imagine that chemicals were stands. Apparently, the scientist who discovered that SCRAPPER blocks RIM1alpha was a big JJBA fan.
- Rohan at the Louvre (2010)
- Rohan da Gucci (2011)
- Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe. Episode 5: Village of Millionaires (2012)
- Jolyne, Fly High with Gucci (2013)
- Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe. Episode 6: Poaching Coast (2013)
- Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe. Episode 4: Mochizuki Family Moon Viewing (2014)
Tropes common in Araki's works beyond JJBA:
- Anyone Can Die: To the point where he commonly crosses into We Have Reserves territory.
- Art Evolution: One of the most prominent examples.
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- Costume Porn: Even for historical figures!
- Gonk: Especially short fat people.
- Kick the Dog: Almost literally, evil is frequently shown as something that likes to kill dogs or other animals.
- Older Than They Look: He was born in 1960. There's a reason why fans think that Araki is immortal.
- Old Shame: He considers Gorgeous Irene to be this as he wrote it before he was married and had a more mature view of women.
- We Have Reserves: This seems to be an intergral part of his writing style. No shonen mangaka has killed off as many characters as him.
- You Don't Look Like You: A consequence of his evolving art style. Thanks to that, his current drawings of his old characters like Jonathan Joestar and Gorgeous Irene look almost nothing like how he used to draw them in their original mangas.