, also known as "Baoh: The Visitor
", is a short manga series written and illustrated by none other than Hirohiko Araki
, of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
fame. The story details the adventures of Ikuro Hashizawa and Sumire, a boy and a young girl escaping from the evil secret organization that experimented on them: the Doress/Judas
Organization. Ikuro is the host of the titular Baoh, a parasite that can transform him in a murderous killing machine.
Ikuro also appeared in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle
, as a DLC Guest Fighter
This manga provides example of:
- Acid Pool: They try to kill Baoh with one of these, adding a group of acid-proof Giant Spiders for good measure. Ikuro saves himself by using one of the spiders as a protective coat.
- Adaptation Expansion: The female scientist who lets Baoh escape at the beginning gets a bigger role in the OVA and is given a name, Sophine. In the manga, she's executed early on for her failure to stop Ikuro's escape.
- Amnesiac Hero: Ikuro.
- Award Bait Song: The OVA has the song Eternal Soldier, which plays during the end credits.
- Bitter Sweet Ending: Duress is destroyed, and Sumire goes to live with the old couple. Ikuro, however, sleeps in an underground lake under a collapsed mountain. However...
- Body Horror: The Baoh parasite weaponizes Body Horror, becoming stronger the more grievously injured its host becomes.
- Calling Your Attacks: Averted with Ikuro who doesn't speak when in his Baoh Armed Phenomenon form, so all his powers are named in info boxes (subtitles in the OVA).
- Played straight with Walken and his "Molecular Air-Motion Wave" and "Molecular Seismic Wave".
- Defense Mechanism Superpower: The "Baoh Armed Phenomenon" activates when the host is injured or in danger.
- Dub Name Change: The English manga release translates Doctor Kasuminome's name to "Hazyeye", a reasonable translation, as well as changing "Sumire" to "Violet" (A translation of the word "sumire.") and "Doress" to "Judas". The OVA's English dub keeps the names as "Kasuminome", "Sumire" and "Doress" however, and All Star Battle's English localisation retains "Sumire" and "Doress" as well. The OVA also has Sumire point out that her name does indeed mean "Violet."
- Frickin' Laser Beams: The Doress facility has laser cannons as security systems. Ikuro hijacks one of these cannons and uses Baoh's bio-electricity to power it.
- Genetic Engineering is the New Nuke: Everything Doress does.
- Gratuitous English: Some of Baoh's special abilities have some really Word Salad titles (with "phenomenon" added on the end) to them, including "Reskinharden Saber Phenomenon" (arm blades), "Shooting Bees Stingers Phenomenon" (razor sharp hair fired as projectiles from one's head) and "Meltedin Palm Phenomenon" (corrosive acid from the hands.)
- Guest Fighter: Ikuro shows up in Jojos Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle as a DLC character.
- Hollywood Cyborg: Dorudo.
- Homage: Walken was named after Christopher Walken. Yup.
- Humanity Is Infectious: Baoh becomes progressively more and more human, experiencing emotions like sadness and gratitude. In the last chapters Ikuro gets in control of its capacities.
- Kiai: BARUBARUBARUBARUBARU! BARU!
- Kill It with Fire: How to destroy a Baoh-infected creature, as well as the parasite living inside. Baoh's "Shooting Bees Stingers Phenomenon" also has this sort of property, igniting upon touching another creature.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: A laser beam can burn a Baoh and, if it hits the brain, can force the parasite out of the doomed body or outright kill it.
- Ikuro!Baoh powers one with his own electrical energy to finally kill Walken.
- Lamarck Was Right: Professor Kasuminome invented a serum that allows the inheritance of acquired characteristics. Baoh was the end result of subjecting experimental serum-dosed animals to one hostile environment after another over multiple generations
- Last of His Kind: Walken's the last surviving member of the American-Indian Skurm tribe.
- My Name Is Not Shazam: Of a sorts. "Baoh" is the name of the parasite implanted in Ikuro's brain, not his actual name. That said the name "Baoh" is used by Dr. Hazyeye/Kasuminome to refer to other Baoh-implanted creatures as well.
- Phlebotinum Rebel: Ikuro
- Precocious Crush: Sumire has one on Ikuro.
- Prophet Eyes: Baoh, thanks to his super sense of smell that makes human eyes useless. When Ikuro gains control of Baoh, he keeps his human eyes.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Walken, last of his tribe, and Doress's trump card.
- Blow You Away: Or rip you to shreds.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Or rather melting it.
- Mind over Matter: Down to making each individual atom vibrate indipendently. He can melt or disintegrate anything he touches.
- Power Limiter: His headband (headphones in the manga). After Ikuro!Baoh damages it, everyone around Walken dies, and his powers are able to punch though a kilometer of solid rock.
- Psychic Powers: Sumire has precognitive abilities.
- Walken's telekinetic powers are so powerful, they can disintegrate matter.
- Sequel Hook: Although Ikuro is buried underneath the ocean and a ton of rock, Sumire states that she had a vision of him returning to her, which occurs when she's seventeen.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Baoh, at first.
- Team Pet: Nottsuo, a mutated lorisid.
- The Nose Knows: Baoh perceives the world around him thanks to an advanced smell-sensing organ to his forehead. It's also his Achilles' Heel, since disabling it leaves him completely blind.
- You Have Failed Me: In the manga, Dorudo is executed by Walken on Doress' orders for his failure to kill Ikuro on several occasions. It is also implied that Sophine was executed for the same reason as well early on in the manga.