Gackt Camui is a Japanese music artist who is part of the Visual Kei scene. Besides being a singer, Gackt can play multiple instruments including piano, guitar, shamisen, violin, drums, and more. Gackt joined the band Malice Mizer after their original singer left, but for reasons still hotly contested by fans, he left to pursue a solo career a few years later. He released his first single "Mizerable" as a solo artist in 1999. Since then he's released eight albums and 36 singles. He was a regular on the show Domoto Kyoudai (now Domoto Brothers) up until 2003, and has also acted in several movies and dramas including Moon Child, Fuurin Kazan and Mr. Brain.See also his creator page.
Gackt's music provides examples of:
- Concept Album: Every non-compilation album, as well as singles. Even his concerts are designed to be visual interpretations of his albums and singles, if not a continuation of their story.
- Concept Video: Most of Gackt's videos are these.
- Dual Meaning Chorus: Many of his songs have multiple meanings, especially "Mirror".
- Everything Is an Instrument: The song "4th" consists entirely of gun fire, radio static, explosions, helicopter noise, Gackt singing gibberish in a soprano-like falsetto, and a guitar rhythm. It's surprisingly good.
- Epic Rocking: Cube, Birdcage, Blue, Uncertain Memory, Dybukk, Secret Garden and many others.
- Genre Shift: Gackt's early albums (and recent singles) tend to be a music version of this. A single album can have a combination of rock, pop, techno, ska, rap, r&b, metal and whatever else Gackt feels at the moment. Even singles will often have contrasting songs on them.
- Genre Roulette: Gackt is a rock artist, but what genre of music is going to be on his albums and singles is random at best. Some songs such as Cube, Oasis, Uncertain Memory and Secret Garden don't even resemble any discernible genre. Songs like these are simply referred to by fans as Gackt rock.
- Intercourse with You: "Koukuma Heaven", "Vanilla", and "Dispar" are explicit. "Papa Lapped a Pap Lopped" and "Speed Master" are more ambiguous.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly - Many of his songs, especially "Dybbuk", "Lost Angels", "Memories" and "Ghost". In recent interviews he's even talked about taking this further by combining rock, classical European, traditional Japanese and various other Asian music styles in his newer work.
- Rock Opera: Again, every non-compilation album and single, as well as concerts.
- Rock Opera Plot: Mostly averted. Gackt's albums tend to be mostly about separated lovers, and love and betrayal instead of rebellion. The closest exception being "Requiem et Reminiscence II", which ends with Zero turning against the Nazi officers that created him—although even that begins with Zero joining the military to avenge his lover's death, and him being betrayed by his friend, who turns him into a cyborg due to jealousy of their friend Maria loving Zero more than him.
- Word Salad Title: "Papa Lapped a Pap Lopped"
Gackt's concerts provide examples of:
- AI Is A Crap Shoot: Averted. The Ghosts are the heroes.
- Bad Ass Long Coat: He wears these during many of his concerts.
- Cluster F-Bomb: During every Yellow Fried Chickens live Gackt rips off his shirt and launches one of these.
- Cute Kitten: U+K live always features people dressed up in cat costumes.
- Dark Is Not Evil: The heroes of his stories are vampires, Nazi-created cyborgs and other supernatural beings.
- Vanilla live is the most famous example. But Kagen no Tsuki, Jougen no Tsuki, and Drug Party had plentiful amounts of this as well.
- Gackt's second Yellow Fried Chickenz tour has taken this to the extreme with fans encouraging him by throwing underwear, hand cuffs, and whips on stage for Gackt and his band to play with.
- Japanese Vampire: The entire Moon Saga.
- Kill 'em All: "Diabolos" and "Requiem et Reminiscence II" ends with all the characters dying.
- Last Stand: His 2005 concert "Diabolos" opens with a scene showing 5 warriors riding into battle with a legion of Darts. Gackt's character wakes up as a superempowered vampire, and is the last man standing.
- Ninja: During the song Luna he often has people dressed as these come on stage and fight him. I kid you not.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: The stories in his music contain many of these, such as Cyborg Nazis and Vampire Knights. His concerts can also be said to be this, since they're designed to be combination's of rock concerts, movies, and musicals. This also applies to Gackt himself who is a singer, songwriter, actor, writer, fashion designer
- Our Vampires Are Different
- Say My Name: Some of his "Call and Response" routines during concerts consist of a legion of fans shouting his name in unison.
- Science Is Bad: Subverted by the Ghosts, soldiers and war prisoners turned into cyborgs by Nazis to be mindless weapons of war turn against their evil creators and heroically sacrifice their lives fighting the Nazi agenda.
- Shirtless Scene: During the Starlight Gig and Yellow Fried Chickens tour Gackt has no shirt on for half the show. Why? Does it really matter?
- Stupid Jetpack Hitler: The Ghosts.
- Those Wacky Nazis: "Requiem et Reminiscence", "Ghost", and more.