Love is a many-splendored thing. It can cause those who are in the throes of it to do amazing things. Go into war against a nigh-insurmountable foe, climb the tallest mountain you can find, put down the toilet seat after they're finished, lots of stuff. Many people like to say that true love gives them a feeling like they're walking on air. In some forms of fiction, this is taken literally. A man and a woman are shown in an embrace, they are both smiling, happy and content. As the camera backs away, we see that their feet are a few inches above the ground, but they are both so enraptured, they don't even notice their sudden lack of gravity. This is what is known as a Lovitation (a portmanteau of love and levitation). This is usually shown in fantasies, science fiction stories and occasionally romantic comedies to show that there is an overall magical quality to The Power of Love. No not that one. Or that one. See also Power Floats and Zero-G Spot.
open/close all folders
- During Bruce and Diana's Big Damn Kiss in "Christmas in Kansas", part of the Sorrowful and Immaculate Hearts series, Diana is so caught up in the moment that she levitates them both.
Films — Live-Action
- In Hook, as Tinkerbell flies the grown-up Peter Pan to Neverland, she leaves a trail of pixie dust in her wake. We see it fall on a couple embracing on the tower bridge, and they begin to rise.
- In Simply Irresistible, the characters played by Sarah Michelle Gellar and Sean Patrick Flannery begin to float uncontrollably while in a passionate embrace. As this was a romantic comedy, it was Played for Laughs, however, as Sean bumps his head on the ceiling, alerting the two to their floating state.
- In the French film Odette Toulemonde, Odette, played by Catherine Frot, is an eternal optimist who floats in the air when she is in love.
- In the Spanish film Una Hora Mas en Canarias, Mónica, played by Juana Acosta, floats in the air when she is in love.
- In I'm a Cyborg, but That's OK, when Il-soon tries to kiss Young-goon, she lifts off the ground since he has trouble bending down to her.
- In Grease, the ending has Sandy and Danny getting back together and their car flying off into the sky.
- In the short Left or Right for Love, the woman floats when she is in love.
- In the short Up Here, people float when they are in love.
- Tara and Willow were shown on at least two occasions to be floating in the throes of love on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Once while they were dancing at a party, and the next time while they were making love.
- Though it was West using his flight powers, West Rosen and Claire Bennett did the classic embracing float scene on an episode of Heroes.
- On Lois & Clark, Lois and Superman floated several times together. Once while making love, and at least twice while in a vertical embrace. In fact, a famous scene of Lois and Clark floating in front of a large full moon became part of the credits sequence.
- It was also Mirrored in Smallville during season 10 when Lois and Clark share a dance in Mid-air.
- In Parker Lewis Can't Lose, one episode shows this happening to Jerry Steiner every time Shelly says something nice to him.
- Herman's Head. Angel, the sensitivity part of Herman's personality, floats up in the air when Herman realises he's in love with his bosses' daughter.
- Parodied in the Discworld novel Thief of Time, when Jeremy asks Lady Le Jean on a date, she declines. But as she walks away, she literally floats a few inches off the ground. Given what she is, it's justified in-universe.
- In the novels John And Jeanie Fly:Living The Law Of Attraction (2-volume set), a happily married husband and wife are surprised one morning that they have the ability to fly.
- Severely averted in The Light Princess; while Althea is floating, her emotions are too stunted for her to feel real love. It's once she's back on the ground that it's clear how truly in love she is with Digby.
- In The Sims 2, the cinematic that plays when a Sim gets his or her very first kiss has the kissing Sims levitate briefly.
- In JL8, Clark is seen walking a feet off the ground after talking to Diana. Of course, he's a kindergarten version of Superman.
Bruce: What's got you walking on air?
- In Sinfest, Monique's #1 fangirl gets a lengthy floating sequence after Monique complimented her and patted her on the head.
- One Kevin & Kell strip shows Rudy and Fiona dancing, and then floating into the air. It turns out to be the vibrations from Carl (a rhino) dancing next to them.
- Happens to everyone in love in the Valentine's Day Episode of Ed, Edd n Eddy. Edd even looks below May and sees her hovering off the ground with a perplexed look on his face.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- Spike often floats off the ground when he's enamored with Rarity. In fact he starts floating the very first time he meets with her in Episode 1, with his dragon tail used as a propeller for added thrust. In "Party of One", while Spike is floating Rarity gently nudges him to send him on his way.
- Also a case of Power Floats: in the Series 2 finale of , Shining Armor and Cadence float while using their mutual love to supercharge Shining Armor's shield spell.