Gackt Camui is a Japanese musician within the Visual Kei subculture.
Gackt has also been used to model several characters for video games, including Genesis Rhapsodos for Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus
and Lau the protaganist of Bujingai
. Recently he has been cast as a voice actor for Seishirō Kirishiki in the Shiki
anime and as Nemuri Kyoshiro in a theater play, after performing his first concert tour in Europe "Attack of the YELLOW FRIED CHICKENZ". Oh, and he's also playing Oda Nobunaga
in the Sengoku Basara Moonlight Party
He is also known to speak well in Chinese
Acts that Gackt has performed with:
- Mizerable (1999)
- Mars (2000)
- Rebirth (2001)
- Moon (2002)
- Crescent (2003)
- Love Letter (2005)
- Diabolos (2005)
- "RE:BORN" (2009)
- The Sixth day single collection (2004)
- Seventh night unplugged (2004)
- Jūnigatsu no Love Song: Complete Box (2006)
- 0079?0088 (2007)
- nine* nine (2008)
- MARS Sora Kara no Homonsha ~Kaisou~ (2000)
- Requiem et Reminiscence ~Shuuen to Seijyaku~ (2001)
- Kagen no Tsuki ~Seiya no Shirabe~ (2002)
- Jogen no Tsuki ~Saishusho~ (2003)
- The Sixth Day & Seventh Night (2004)
- Diabolos ~Aien no Shi to Seiya no Namida~ (2005)
- Gackt Training Days D.R.U.G. Party (2006-2007)
- Requiem et Reminiscence II ~Saisei to Kaikou~ (2008-2009)
- Yellow Fried Chickenz (2010-2011)]
His filmography includes:
Gackt in pop-culture:
- Gackt was the Big Bad in an arc of Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, where he released a virus that turned rugged manly men into Bishounen. It's also implied that many Final Fantasy characters are just alternate forms of him (a joke on how he inspired some character models from that series). Gackt appears to be dead after a Hyper Beam to the face, but Rain notes that in a month or so he'll find a way to put himself back to life-slash-in the spotlight.
- After much pleading from the director, he agreed to voice Uesugi Kenshin in Tono To Issho.
Gackt provides examples of:
- Back Story: His autobiographic works "Jihaku" ("Confession") and "GACKTIONARY"
- Defictionalization: Kamui Gakupo is a vocaloid created by Kentaro Miura (better known for his work on Berserk) based on voice samples from Gackt. Video site Nico Nico Douga once held a vocaloid contest hosted by Gackt were he would sing the winning songs, which used Gakupo as the singer. The result was that Gackt not only created and released covers of the winning songs, "Episode.0" and "Paranoid doll", but he also created a music video that was identical to the original "Episode.0" video, replacing art of Gakupo with himself dressed as Gakupo. Here is the original video, and here's Gackt's cover of it.
- Development Hell: S.K.I.N played one concert and then... nothing.
- Drama Queen: Possibly one of the more notorious ones of Visual Kei.
- Fan Nickname:
- His fans and staff sometimes refer to him as "Maou-sama". Which is Japanese for "Devil King".
- He is also known as "Gacchan," "Gakkun" and other such variations, particularly by his Japanese fans.
- He has recently been given nicknames like Troll King and Troll Aniki for his habit of trolling his fans
- Flame War:
- You do not mention Gackt to Mana fans. Unless you really like Internet Backdraft. This one even goes into Real Life because the bad feelings between them are still there - making the mistake of defending Gackt to someone who actually knows Mana could even lead to a Bar Brawl.
- Yoshiki vs. Gackt varies. If they seem to be friends for the time being, it will be snarky and muted and kind of a joke/parody Flame War mostly arguing over which one is bigger in a certain body region/hotter/etc. If one has recently screwed over the other, it will become Serious Business again.
- The Gackt scandals are all fertile ground for repeated Flame War as Dears will unquestioningly defend Gackt no matter what, and haters and Mana fans will occasionally pile in to unquestioningly insult Gackt.
- Ham-to-Ham Combat: With Yoshiki of X-Japan.
- I Call Him "Mister Happy": "Magnum!" *facepalm*
- Ill Boy: He was hospitalized with a gastrointestinal condition when he was ten.
- I See Dead People: Apparently.
- Japanese Delinquents: Gackt was a trouble maker during his childhood constantly getting into fist fights and skipping school
- Meaningful Name: Gackt's name tends to sound weird to, well... people in general. But his name has an actual meaning. Gackt Camui is a modification of Kamui Gakuto which can either mean "Divine power of music" or "Divine being made of music".
- Mr. Fanservice: Gackt's appearance in Fuurin Kazan was expected to increase young adult female viewers. What they didn't anticipate was that he also drew in 40+ female fans as well.
- One of Us: Gackt's fanboying is legendary. He has memorized all of the dialogue of the first Gundam series (he once recited Gihren Zabi's speech from Garma's funeral at a concert, getting the whole crowd to respond with chants of "Sieg Zeon!"). His hairstyle for the Vanilla music video is based off of Super Saiyan Goku. The song Asrun Dream is about the characters Ash and Eiji from Banana Fish. He even once spent three days straight playing video games.
- The Band Minus the Face: Malice Mizer. Averted when Tetsu left and Gackt joined they reached the height of their popularity. Played straight when Gackt left and later Kami died, as even after replacing Gackt with Klaha the band eventually broke up.
- Training from Hell: Back stage footage of Gackt and his band preparing for concert is nothing but this. Gackt and his back up dancers "training" includes lifting each other as weights and taking turns punching and kicking each other in the stomach over extended periods of time.
- Samurai: After his appearance in Fuurin Kazan Gackt started getting cast in roles as samurai. Since then he has been cast as Yoshi, a samurai in the film noir movie Bunraku, Nemuri Kyoshiro in a theater play, and even as Oda Nobunaga in Sengoku Basara: Moonlight Party.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: This commercial is of particular note.
- Vocaloid: Gackt provided the voice for Gakupo.