Gackt Camui (born July 4, 1973) is a Japanese musician within the Visual Kei subculture.Gackt has also been used to model several characters for video games, including Genesis Rhapsodos for Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII and Lau the protaganist of Bujingai. Recently he has been cast as a voice actor for Seishirou Kirishiki in the Shiki anime and as Nemuri Kyoshiro in a theater play, after performing his first concert tour in Europe "Attack of the YELLOW FRIED CHICKENZ." Oh, and he's also playing Oda Nobunaga in the Sengoku Basara Moonlight Party TV Drama.He is also known to speak well in Chinese.
Acts that Gackt has performed with:
- Cains:Feel: His first band.
- Malice Mizer: The band he became famous with.
- S.K.I.N.: A superband that he performed with Yoshiki Hayashi, Miyavi, and Sugizo.
- Yellow Fried Chickenz: A band he started for his international performances.
- Mizérable (1999)
- Mars (2000)
- Rebirth (2001)
- Moon (2002)
- Crescent (2003)
- Love Letter (2005)
- Diabolos (2005)
- "RE:BORN" (2009)
- The Sixth Day: Single Collection (2004)
- The Seventh Night: Unplugged (2004)
- Juunigatsu no Love Song: Complete Box (2006)
- 0079-0088 (2007)
- nine*nine (2008)
- MARS Sora Kara no Homonsha ~Kaisou~ (2000)
- Requiem et Reminiscence ~Shuuen to Seijaku~ (2001)
- Kagen no Tsuki ~Seiya no Shirabe~ (2002)
- Jogen no Tsuki ~Saishusho~ (2003)
- The Sixth Day & Seventh Night (2004)
- Diabolos ~Aien no Shi to Seiya no Namida~ (2005)
- Gackt Training Days D.R.U.G. Party (2006-2007)
- Requiem et Reminiscence II ~Saisei to Kaikou~ (2008-2009)
- Yellow Fried Chickenz (2010-2011)]
His filmography includes:
- Moon Child
- Mr. Brain
- Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker
- Sengoku Basara: Moonlight Party
- Bima Satria Garuda
Gackt in pop-culture:
- Gackt was the Big Bad in an arc of Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, where he released a virus that turned rugged manly men into bishounen. It's also implied that many Final Fantasy characters are just alternate forms of him (a joke on how he inspired some character models from that series). Gackt appears to be dead after a Hyper Beam to the face, but Rain notes that in a month or so he'll find a way to put himself back to life-slash-in the spotlight.
- And as it turns out, he had been hired by Commander Badass's superiors to release the virus. Why? So they could market new Commander Badass merchandise.
- After much pleading from the director, he agreed to voice Uesugi Kenshin in Tono to Issho.
Gackt provides examples of:
- Back Story: His autobiographic works "Jihaku" ("Confession") and "GACKTIONARY."
- Badass Baritone: He's well known for his sexy deep singing voice.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Brags on Twitter on how big a pervert he is usually followed by SSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
- Drama Queen: Possibly one of the more notorious ones of Visual Kei.
- Flame War:
- You do not mention Gackt to Mana fans. Unless you really like Internet Backdraft. This one even goes into Real Life because the bad feelings between them are still there — making the mistake of defending Gackt to someone who actually knows Mana could even lead to a Bar Brawl.
- Yoshiki vs. Gackt varies. If they seem to be friends for the time being, it will be snarky and muted and kind of a joke/parody Flame War mostly arguing over which one is bigger in a certain body region/hotter/etc. If one has recently screwed over the other, it will become Serious Business again.
- The Gackt scandals are all fertile ground for repeated Flame War as Lovers will defend Gackt, and haters and Mana fans will invariably pile in to unquestioningly insult Gackt.
- Former Teen Rebel: Gackt spent most of his childhood getting into fist fights.
- Ham-to-Ham Combat: With Yoshiki of X Japan.
- I Call Him "Mr. Happy": "Magnum!" *facepalm*
- Ill Boy: He was hospitalized with a gastrointestinal condition when he was ten.
- I See Dead People: Apparently.
- Japanese Delinquents: Gackt was a trouble maker during his childhood constantly getting into fist fights and skipping school.
- Meaningful Name: Gackt's name tends to sound weird to, well... People in general. But his name has an actual meaning. Gackt Camui is a modification of Kamui Gakuto which can either mean "Divine power of music" or "Divine being made of music."
- Mr. Fanservice: Gackt's appearance in Fuurin Kazan was expected to increase young adult female viewers. What they didn't anticipate was that he also drew in 40+ female fans as well.
- Near-Death Experience: He almost drowned as a pre-teen and this, according to him, caused him to see dead people.
- The Band Minus the Face: Malice Mizer. Averted when Tetsu left and Gackt joined they reached the height of their popularity. Played straight when Gackt left and later Kami died, as even after replacing Gackt with Klaha the band eventually broke up.
- Training from Hell: Back stage footage of Gackt and his band preparing for concert is nothing but this. Gackt and his back up dancers "training" includes lifting each other as weights and taking turns punching and kicking each other in the stomach over extended periods of time.
- Samurai: After his appearance in Fuurin Kazan Gackt started getting cast in roles as samurai. Since then he has been cast as Yoshi, a samurai in the film noir movie Bunraku, Nemuri Kyoshiro in a theater play, and even as Oda Nobunaga in Sengoku Basara: Moonlight Party.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: This commercial is of particular note.
- Student Council President: He plays during the Camui Gakuen concerts.
- Vocaloid: Gackt provided the voice for Gakupo.
- Weakened by the Light: His eyes are especially sensitive to light as he wears shades in bright light.
- Workaholic: Is usually doing at least a dozen jobs at once.