Holly Black is an American writer and editor who is probably most well known for co-writing The Spiderwick Chronicles with Tony DiTerlizzi. She has also written several other books, including Modern Faerie Tales, The Good Neighbors, The Curse Workers and The Darkest Part Of The Forest. She also co-edited the anthologies Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd and Zombies vs. Unicorns.Inspired by a childhood immersed in fairy tales, most of her books feature the supernatural and The Fair Folk. Not always portrayed so positively, either—the supernatural creatures in her stories are usually of the cruel, vindictive, yet terribly beautiful variety. Her young adult works also have a generous helping of Body Horror and Gorn.She's good friends with Cassandra Clare, and the two of them have worked on a joint project The Magisterium.
Works with their own pages:
- The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
- The Curse Workers
- Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd
- The Good Neighbors
- "Lights Out" in 12 Doctors 12 Stories
- Modern Faerie Tales
- The Spiderwick Chronicles
- Zombies vs. Unicorns
Other works contain examples of:
- Blue and Orange Morality: In The Darkest Part of the Forest, The Fair Folk have no qualms about murdering tourists visiting the local town of Fairfold in gruesome ways, or else kidnapping human babies and replacing them with their own i.e. changelings, for unknown reasons; other nasty habits of theirs throughout the book include cursing locals, or in the case of Ben, being "blessed" with a gift for fairy music that ends up backfiring on him when he grew older. To them, humans are basically ants and as such they feel they have the liberty to do whatever they like to them, which on a lucky day will mean all the milk in the house spoiling and in some of the worst cases being turned into a pile of rocks with the only way of breaking the curse being another human being recognizes that the "rocks" are actually a person (or people) under a spell.
- House Fey: In The Magisterium series, the magisterium uses summoned elementals to tidy the dorms when the kids aren't there.
- Wizarding School: The Magisterium.