Video Game / Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
was the first Harvest Moon
game to be released for the Nintendo Wii in 2007, which alongside Island of Happiness
was part of the series' tenth anniversary.
The game is set in Waffle Island, which had the Mother Tree overlooking the whole island. However one day the tree died, and the Harvest Goddess had disappeared along with the Rainbows the island was famous for. Sadly this caused the island to fall in dark times.
You just so happen to arrive on the island so that you may start a farm, after hearing that it is a "ranchers paradise." However a storm hit your boat and knocked you out. This also let you dream of the Harvest Goddess asking for your help.
In 2009, Animal Parade
was released which featured the gang from ToT
, but in a different setting and similar plot.
Tropes associated with the game:
- But Thou Must!: When you're getting married, when it's time to say, "I do" you can instead say, "Pardon?" Doesn't change much however.
- Forced Tutorial: For the first few days, you'll stay in the Sundae Inn. So you'll have to do some work around the island until you can get your bearings and start some actual farm work.
- Game-Breaking Bug: A nasty glitch exists that makes it unable to marry Calvin. However this was fixed in later installments, and the original owners can send their copy in to get a replacement.
- God Needs Prayer Badly: It was theorized that the tree had died because no one believed in the Goddess anymore.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: You can enter in names, but their default ones are Kevin and Angela.
- New Game+: You can actually play as your child, but it's apparently on a very similar island, with some special things added in, like some extra money.
- Relationship Values: Obviously, for most if not all Harvest Moon games. Befriending the bachelors and bachelorettes to a certain amount can give you a scene where they give you gifts or have lunch with them.
- Theme Naming: Most of the locations and buildings are named after a confection of some sort. (Waffle Town, Ganache Mine, Mt. Gelato, Caramel River, Brownie Ranch, and Sundae Inn to name a few.) Animal Parade switched the theme over to names of musical instruments.
- Unlockable Content: There are some villagers who may move to the island, such as Candace, Luna, Chase, and others.