Series: The Riches
"What's yours is mine."The Malloys are a family of Irish Travellers and accomplished con artists. Wayne Malloy (Eddie Izzard), the head of the family, gets on the wrong side of a Traveller clan, and the family goes on the run. While fleeing from another Traveller who they bumped into on the road, they accidentally run over a rich couple who are moving to a new neighborhood off the road, killing them. The Malloys take the chance to adopt the couples' identities and house, and begin to experience life in the upper class.This Dramedy (emphasis on Drama, but with Eddie Izzard in the cast, uproarious comedy was more or less inevitable) ran on FX for 2 seasons in 2007-2008, and Eddie Izzard has stated that he is working on a movie script to finish off the story.
- Bad Boss: Hugh
- Bavarian Fire Drill: The entire show, and most of the episode plots. A notable one is where Wayne needs to learn law, so he wrangles himself a position as a guest lecturer at a nearby law college and tells the students to pretend he knows nothing about the law, as a way of "testing" their knowledge. When they use too much legal language, he makes them dumb it down. Oh, and if they answer a question correctly, they get a cookie. It works beautifully.
- The Beard: Nina is this for her husband. Though the both of them seem to be in denial about this.
- Brother Chuck: The one armed woman who was a recurring character in season one completely vanishes in season two, despite Dale's growing attraction to her.
- Con Artist: A whole family of them.
- Cool Old Lady: Nina, who is happy to smoke weed, sneak a few pills, and run away with the family in season 2.
- Dead Person Impersonation
- Drugs Are Bad: With one episode even entitled "This is Your Brain on Drugs"
- Even Evil Has Standards: It's repeatedly stated that stealing from little old ladies is despicable; Cael gets chewed out for it at one point
- Fake American: Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver.
- Fish out of Water
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Hey, Dee Reynolds is a one-armed bitch!
- How's Your British Accent?: Used by Wayne in one of the cons.
- I Have Many Names
- Indy Ploy: Much of the cons go like this - one character will ask another "What's your plan?" to which the reply is "Uh ... yeah".
- Irish Travellers: Specifically, Irish-American Travellers.
- Killed to Uphold the Masquerade: Pete
- Meaningful Name: The family moves to a gated community named Edenfalls.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Izzard, almost constantly.
- Rags to Riches: The main characters, but not through hard work, and also the backstory of Wayne's boss, Hugh.
- Rich Bitch: We don't know much about the married couple killed in the first episode. But from what we do learn about them is that they were both pretty much obnoxious assholes. The husband having abandoned his first wife and their kids to live in poverty so he can run off with his young trophy wife. And the wife's mother simply describing her as "a bitch."
- Villain Decay: Dale spends the entire first season being the lead antagonist. But immediately at the start of season two he becomes a harmless drunken baffoon.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Sam, an 8-year-old. While this is a source of some humor, it's still shown as a serious part of Sam's identity, and the family refuses to force him to identify as any one gender.