"Giving a reader a sex scene that is only half right is like giving her half of a kitten. It is not half as cute as a whole kitten; it is a bloody, godawful mess."Sometimes sexy things happen in a show. Sometimes they're not entirely intended that way, but end up being made out as such. Sometimes the setup is there, but something kills it. Replacing a love scene's music with Thunder and Blazes circus clown music will rapidly turn something appealing into something bizarre, absolutely wrecking any gratification the viewer might get out of it. The writer might not realize that their knowledge of the reproductive system is limited at best. Or the exotic elements could just be overwhelmed by good ol' fashioned Nightmare Fuel. It's important to remember, however, that there is no such thing as complete Fetish Retardant, because if it exists, somebody will find it arousing in spite of any efforts to make it unappealing. Subtropes include No Yay, IKEA Erotica, and Mills and Boon Prose. Fetish Retardant applies only when the unsexiness is entirely unintended, perhaps making something like a sexual Narm moment. If the retarding is something added in on purpose to keep the scene from being sexy, that's Fan Disservice (though this can backfire spectacularly). Inherently Funny Words and Unusual Euphemisms are major causes of Fetish Retardant in written erotica. Written Sound Effects often combine the two. Contrast Rule of Sexy (although it can become this when it fails). When this is inverted, it's Think Unsexy Thoughts. Naturally, these are Subjective, so there's no need to keep contesting entries; just bring them over to Fetish Fuel. Any attempt to introduce actual rules for sexual acts in roleplaying games falls under this, chiefly due to the sheer awkwardness of roleplaying sexual encounters with close friends. This happens to a lot of fanfic (Sturgeon's Law, remember) for various reasons. IKEA Erotica, creepy/weird euphemisms, Anatomically Impossible Sex, spelling mistakes that add fuel to the Narm fire, or just the Fridge Horror that sets in when you realize you're reading porn about a children's cartoon. In Video Games, most eroge/visual novel translations suffer from severely mood-breaking onomatopoeias. Fellatio simply should NOT make the sound "chap chap chap". When this happens In-Universe, it's a kind of Moment Killer. Fetish Retardant is accidental by definition; when it's planned, that's Fan Disservice. If this trope happens right from the get-go, expect an Audience-Alienating Premise. Be careful with Hentai and Pornography examples, please, as per wiki rules.
open/close all folders
- A Carl Jr's ad depicting Miss Turkey... Wearing a Bikini... depicting their burgers... on close up. Rather tacky, since the little burgers make what she's wearing look like Goofy Print Underwear.
- The Mature Dating site ads. While it's clear that there is a target audience, for most people seeing an old woman around their mother's age in sexy poses is pure Squick.
- A Virgin Airlines ad featured Sassy Black Woman ordering a Mexican wrap. Said wrap appeared as an attractive naked Latin man in a tortilla. Yeah, showing a woman wanting to get down with anthropomorphized burrito is supposed to make us want to ride their airlines.
- The gay dating...ok, hook-up site Adam4Adam heavily features porn ads to keep it free. Most of the ads are pleasing to the eye (even when the scenarios are silly, at least the models are hot), except for those that promote a pornographic cartoon site. It's fair to assume that most people can happily live their lives without ever seeing Mr. Burns get it on with Smithers, among other famous cartoon characters having graphic sex. This is a very common trope on adult sites, both gay and straight, with cartoon porn ads (or extremely extreme real porn ads) being often fetish retardants.
Anime and Manga
- The Zetsuai 1989 OAVs have an... odd art style, especially for the supposed Bishōnen Yaoi Guys who end up having spider-leg fingers and chins so pointy they could be used as weapons. Just take a look at the picture shown in this review and decide if you'd find that sexy. ("When you're screaming at the screen for the bishounen to put his shirt back ON, you know there's something wrong.")
- GaoGaiGar FINAL ramped up the Fanservice, but it felt extremely out of place and weird, even becoming squick in the case of Pilnus. Admittedly, with Pilnus this may have been intentional. Maybe.
- Queen's Blade has this particular problem. It tries to cram in as much Fanservice as possible, while also trying to take itself seriously (The exception being the first episode). As a result, the fanservice distracts from the drama and vise-verse.
- Oddly, most of the Fanservice involving women in One Piece. The context of the scenes and the odd proportions might be contributing factors for some people. Someone at Toei Animation seems to like it, as their bizarre proportions are exaggerated and given more screen time in the anime, particularly from the Fishman Island arc and onwards.
- The Gainaxing in Umineko: When They Cry goes from merely annoying to downright tasteless at certain points. It's like Rosa and Ange are the only women in the series who have ever heard of a bra. In context, due to their ignorant or immortal (really old) natures... they just might be.
- Yaoi example: Kizuna. Enjouji, PLEASE take off your socks before having sex with Ranmaru, okay?
- Mayu Shinjo's rather...special art style in Sensual Phrase, Haou Airen, Love Celeb and Akuma na Eros. Not only do the sex scenes look waaaaay too rape-like for comfort (whether they are or not), but the Only Six Faces syndrome hits hard. And those chins, man - you could use the lead males' chins as knives... And we're not even mentioning the guys's huge hands that sometimes are bigger than the girls's whole heads.
- Pokémon RéBURST sometimes has female characters in fanservice-y poses. A pity that the girls are usual rendered in the Boobs-and-Butt Pose that requires the spines to be non-existent. Either that, or the girl's anatomy is just plain bizarre with misshapen body parts.
- Zettai Shoujo Seiiki Amnesian has so much Fanservice that it becomes really hard to even follow it..
- The average breast size for the girls in Eiken is about as large as basketballs. While there's certainly a fetish for that, it's not hard to see why this would be off putting for other people. A lot of it has to do with the unnatural Gainaxing that reaches Uncanny Valley levels, and the fact that many find the idea of a little girl with Gag Boobs (the largest in the show) as a fanservice character unsettling and distasteful.
- The sexual imagery and innuendo is so over-the-top and horribly executed that instead of fanservice, it becomes pure Nausea Fuel.
- Similarly to the Eiken example above, the hentai manga series Blue Eyes, which revolves around a teenager meeting his childhood friend again and falling in love and dating, before proceeding to cheat on her with multiple other girls, who all have the titular blue eyes, which are a turn-on for him. The retardation of the fetish is due to the art-style, with all of these girls having breasts bigger than basketballs, to the point that they are half the bodylength of the girl and nipples that stand out, akin to cow udders.
- Some feel that the Gainaxing and Clothing Damage of High School Of The Dead is distracting them from the actually kind of decent plot.
- Similarly, Ikki Tousen is seen as a fun updated version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms... but with too much gainaxing and panty shots to be taken seriously.
- A common criticism of Puella Magi Kazumi Magica. Though they're both pretty dark, its progenitor series kept the fanservice to a relative minimum (naked space hugs aside), which makes the often Stripperific outfits, Censor Steam-laden Transformation Sequences, and the protagonist's unusual tendency to wind up nude all the more jarring.
- Ro-Kyu-Bu has a lot of lolicon fanservice, which many viewers find distasteful and distracting from the cute plot and characters. This is also why Airi (a tall, busty sixth-grader often used for fanservice scenes) became The Scrappy to many viewers.
- Junjou Romantica turned "Yaoi Hands" into a minor meme. Though the character's hands aren't quite as big as some of the derivatives, they're big enough to be disconcerting.
- Most major characters from Kill la Kill wear incredibly skimpy uniforms that reveal almost everything. This has resulted in some viewers finding it hard to enjoy the show.
- This is a major criticism of Cage of Eden: Panty shots and Clothing Damage? Hot. On girls who are dead/dying/in serious danger? Creepy. This combined with the occasionally misogynistic atmosphere can make the manga a kind of uncomfortable read.
- This is considered to be one of the reasons why I Don't Like You At All, Big Brother! flopped, as the art style was too cartoonish and unappealing for a fanservice anime.
- Shokugeki no Soma is well-known for its "foodgasms", i.e. characters (mostly female characters) taking a bite of some sort of well-crafted dish and promptly going into orgasmic fits and screams, with imagery that would be not out of place in a hentai series (save for all vital parts remaining strategically covered). For some fans, it makes an otherwise dramatic and appetite-triggering series practically unwatchable/unreadable due to how ridiculous and over-the-top this kind of fanservice can get.
- An important health warning to anyone: women drawn by Rob Liefeld will make your genitals retreat into your pelvis and start building protective turrets. Unless, of course, you have a thing for women who use the pouches on their stomachs to digest food.
- Comic artist Greg Horn whose reputation is just as maligned as Rob Liefeld's— though his anatomy is better, in part because much of it is traced off of live-action porn. Most of his depictions of women either try too hard to be sexy or are just borderline offensive, like his infamous drawing featured Catwoman on all fours licking milk from a bowl◊, with her torso grotesquely stretched and bent so that her breasts are pushed out while her ass in the air. You know your reputation is bad when other artists in your field start making shots at your work.◊
- Guillem March's work on books like Gotham City Sirens and Catwoman can sometimes fall into this, since while he generally has a decent grasp of anatomy he sometimes really pushes it with the Fanservice. In particular, the end of the relaunch of Catwoman has Batman and Selina going at it on a rooftop while still mostly in costume but the circumstances, including the fact that they no longer know each other's identities thanks to a Retcon, and Bruce's Questionable Consent made most fans of the pairing respond not with "Yes!" but rather "Do Not Want!"
- While March does indeed have a decent grasp of anatomy, it's not something that shows in a number of his works. Case in point, the cover of Catwoman #0, where Catwoman is posed in a anatomically impossible manner so we can see her breasts and butt (with one butt-cheek strangely larger than the other) at the same time. It's inspired numerous parody illustrations including ones from Kate Beaton, and Cameron Stewart. Faith erin hicks described it as being offensive to people with eyes. Thankfully March listened to the criticism and redrew the cover with Catwmoman looking far more anatomically correct◊.
- The abandoned ending for Catwoman #3, wherein Selina strips naked on the lawn of Wayne Manor as Bruce and Alfred watch from a security camera, is a rather disturbing and skeevy idea on its own, but March's art for the proposed sequence◊ is particularly gross◊. Selina's smile in the top panel is even creepy enough to count as Nightmare Fuel.
- Red Hood and the Outlaws: Spines don't bend that way◊! To others, Starfire's extreme emotional detachment towards her sexual partners, with the implication that this is meant to be portrayed for titillation rather than drama, is more than a little disturbing. Likewise, Starfire's Monochromatic Eyes, combined with her expressions and apparent disinterest make her look more than a little dead.
- The infamous My Immortal Harry Potter fanfic, when the genitals are referred to as "thingy" and "you-know-what".
- The notoriously awful Lord of the Rings fanfic Celebrian is loaded with this. Even if you're someone who would actually be turned on by the story's Squicky sexual content, lines like "Oh, thank you, great-king-with-balls-of-fire, king-whose-great-rod-my-mouth-yearns-for." and "Very well, cock-sucker, suck-cock." are likely to cause a completely different reaction.
- Surprises of a Wedding Night, a Lord of the Rings fanfic, is about Aragorn experiencing such a surprise. Could be fanservice or fetish retardant (or just hilarious), and is disturbingly compatible with the Elfeminate trope, as male elves apparently lack certain attributes while female elves, well ... that's the surprise.
- One Hellsing fanfic (title unknown) was pretty good up until the point where Integra started wondering about Alucard's "one-eyed trouser snake". Narm in itself, and completely out of character for Integra. The funny part is that it's a real-life euphemism, but becomes rather freakish when you take into account his powers. And his one-eyed trouser snake is probably a literal one-eyed trouser snake, considering Alucard's eye for Squicky humor.
- Several K/S Slash Lemons mention that Spock's dick is green. Not limited to fanfics. Leonard Nimoy was asked if they were green. And yes, "they". Apparently, Vulcans have forked dicks. And not just forked. Vulcan green tentacle cock has shown up on more than one occasion.
- Zim/Dib often has the same issues as Kirk/Spock. And again, the phrase "trouser snake" is not meant to be literal (so please, please don't describe Irken genitalia as being long, green and writhing).
- In Light and Dark The Adventures of Dark Yagami. "He was as a big as a bus and was wearing leather pants which dint hide his super big man thingy which was the size of a bus and twice as wide."
- Every single Sex scene in My Inner Life. Only surpassed by the "Bonadage-ritual" scene, which is... Squick to the utmost.
- Forbiden Fruit: The Tempation of Edward Cullen: Most of the fic. Special mention goes to Edward's "throbbing lavender man-fruit thing" and the scene where Jasper Cullen has sex with an apparently non-anthropomorphic panda.
- Every adult-rated fanfic encountered by the Protectors of the Plot Continuum.
- Chocobo Nights: even assuming that there are people out there who enjoy the thought of Tifa being impregnated by a chocobo, the terrible spelling renders it impossible to find this fic anything but either horrifying or funny.
"It's so furry!"
- Rectified Anonymity, otherwise known as "The Pokémon Story", starts off with a horrifying example of Pokémon rape, and just somehow keeps getting worse. You'll need a lot of Brain Bleach by the time you've finished.
- All fanfics that emphasize that Bigger Is Better in Bed, and describe penetration as painful in order to show how "big" the character is. Ouch.
- A.A. Pessimal began a story expanding on a one-line reference in Terry Pratchett's Discworld to an undead Zombie stripper. She also engages on a romance with Watch zombie Reg Shoe. How might a zom-rom-com work out in practice? See here. Stuck On You'' got stuck after two chapters as some details are too potentially horrible even for Pessimal.
- Showgirls is the film Trope Codifier. For a film that was sold on how sexy it was, it fails on all counts.
- No one in the movie can act. Bad acting is much funnier when everyone is naked. Elizabeth Berkley in particular, plays a psychotic stripper with a hair-trigger temper, and is aggressively non-acting the entire film. Her nude scenes, of which there are many, become ridiculous or uncomfortable because of how unbalanced (and badly acted) her character is.
- Everyone is naked. The ever present nudity becomes almost surreal. Naked bad acting moves into the realm of the absurd. The dance numbers in particular provide some weird, weird moments like naked cavemen dancing, or BDSM biker rallies.
- Things that should be erotic are hilarious because everyone in the movie is acting in the most Narmful way possible. Elizabeth Berkley having sex with Kyle MacLachlan gives us moments like her attempting to perform super-awkward oral sex in a pool, and then having an orgasm that looks more like an epileptic seizure.
- Expect anything sexy in a movie being riffed on Mystery Science Theater 3000 to turn out this way. After all, if they weren't bad movies, they wouldn't be on the show.
- In Space Mutiny, a female character's prolonged suggestive dancing only nauseates Mike and the Bots ("She's presenting like a mandrill!"). Mostly because the woman looked to be possibly the oldest person in the cast... and the movie kept treating her like a sexy teenager.
- In The Screaming Skull, the complete lack of appeal in the movie's love scene prompts the line, "Flat, drab passion meanders aimlessly across the screen!"
- A movie called Racket Girls had the butt ugliest women ever in it. As Crow said "My loins will never stir again"
- Mitchell. Baby oil.
- In Hobgoblins Kyle obviously has some... unusual tastes in women. Considering the woman that appears in his Hobgoblin-induced fantasy looks old enough to be his mother, and her completely unsubtle come-ons are especially overdone.
- In the Australian romantic movie The Heartbreak Kid (not to be confused with the Ben Stiller film), when the much-anticipated sex scene comes along the music they choose to play is Lacrimosa from Mozart's Requiem Mass. Funeral music? Not so sexy... unless you're an UberGoth, that is.
- Many people believe the Neo/Trinity sex scene in The Matrix Reloaded was not sexy at all, but instead horrendously out-of-place and a little bit gross, despite being juxtaposed with a borderline orgy scene. The fact that it's actually pretty hard to tell which of them is which may be a factor. The whole cave orgy scene can be Fetish Retardant, too.
- Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li is not a good movie. The completely un-sexy "sexy" club dance between Chun-Li and Cantana didn't help, given the utter lack of any sort of heat between the two women, and the corresponding Fridge Logic that went with it (Just how the hell does Bison's right hand woman not know who Chun-Li is?).
- At the end of the first Transformers movie, we briefly see Sam and Mikaela making out on top of Sam's car. The problem is that Sam's car is the Autobot Bumblebee, who as we know is sentient.
- Zerophilia is about a person dealing with a very rare condition that allows you to change sexes during arousal or orgasm. Sounds cool, until you bring in the Fridge Logic involved with the mechanics of the condition. It's explicitly shown that orgasm is the key to full change. So how does it work when a woman with the condition has an orgasm while having a man inside her?
- Disco Pigs managed to do this with Cillian Murphy, even when some thought that was impossible. We're just accepting Murphy (then 24) as a teenage boy, then he's shirtless. Ooh, drool. And heartbreakingly smitten with his female best friend. But then he goes into a ridiculously long monologue about his best friend, describing how he wants to be with her in rather graphic sexual terms, and she looks so cute and innocent and young and actually 16 in her nightie and he suddenly looks really old...Of course, some girls loved it. However, many people had the same reaction as above - there is even artwork to prove it.
- Burt Reynolds and Shirley Maclaine making out in the back seat in Cannonball Run II.
- In The Piano, people were treated to more of Harvey Keitel than they ever wanted to see
- The Jacket has a sex scene between Adrien Brody and Keira Knightley. The former is a mental patient and the latter is a functioning alcoholic - so they're both quite thin.
- Tommy Wiseau's The Room gave us numerous incredibly long and awkward sex scenes. The less said about Wiseau's bottom, the better.
- In Die Another Day's opening theme, at one point Madonna moans in a seductive, sexy tone... "Sigmund Freud". Anything else in that tone of voice could've been Fetish Fuel, but invoking Sigmund Freud, not so much.
- Sextette: Mae West is still being presented as a memetic sex goddess, a good forty years (at least) after her Hollywood prime, complete with obviously false teeth.
- All of the victims in Exterminator City are nubile young woman, most of them portrayed by adult film stars. Unfortunately, many of them have either misshapen or just grotesquely oversized breasts, undoubtedly due to cheap and/or botched cosmetic surgery.
Ben Platt: This movie made me actually mad at both big breasts and nudity.
- Viper from The Wolverine attempts to be a Ms. Fanservice, but fails. This was due to a bad wardrobe choice, among other things.
- Sucker Punch has a parade of pretty young ladies in sexy outfits. But since it's a brothel and Blue is abusing the girls - the whole thing will make one feel rather uncomfortable. It's likely this is intentional: as the extended cut features a musical number showcasing the T&A of the brothel - and then it immediately cuts to the girls struggling to sleep and Babydoll crying in the bathroom.
- Catwoman puts Halle Berry in a Stripperiffic version of the heroine's comic book outfit. But it's so skimpy it looks more like bondage gear, and thus it's slightly uncomfortable to look at. Additionally Patience gets a radical makeover that gives her an unflattering hairstyle, too much make-up and another black leather Spy Catsuit. Yes, the movie decided that Halle Berry needed a makeover.
- Some feel that the character Holli Wood from Cool World is a bit oversexualized, to the point that it's a turn-off.
- Ditto with Jessica Rabbit from Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
- Anita Blake brings us Ikea Erotica, sex with half-turned were-creatures, sex with underaged boys, sex with mentally and emotionally damaged strippers, group sex with no sanitation at all, and some of the most terrifyingly foodlike descriptions of oral sex ever. All in all, some might like it, but yuck.
- Twilight. If the Purple Prose and ridiculous, Harlequin romance-style descriptions of Edward don't make you laugh, the revelation that he sparkles in the sunlight certainly will. And then when it comes to the actual sex, if you aren't turned off by the incredibly violent injuries Bella sustains, it turns out that Edward is a pillow biter. Not to mention the fact that he's always described as being ice cold to the touch, even in the love scenes. Sounds about as pleasant as using a popsicle. Or getting a pelvic exam with a cold speculum.
- Vurt by Jeff Noon manages to avoid IKEA Erotica, but falls into a trap with the same effect, in its longest sex scene. An extended, rather literal metaphor is made, with the girl's vagina as a garden that ultimately gets "filled with sap."
- Knight Moves in its entirety. We have, among other things:
- The male lead meeting the female lead in the restroom, whilst he's taking a piss.
- A sex scene involving spinning; fun if you like penis injuries and being kicked in the head, not so much otherwise, and a definite aversion of Everything's Better with Spinning.
- The Written Sound Effect "queeb" in reference to withdrawal, making this perhaps the only book to describe sex in terms of 8-bit video game sound effects.
- Unusual Euphemisms such as "lady softness", "volcanic crotch", "ladyfingers" (!!) and "codpiece" (to describe the penis itself, not what it's kept in).
- IKEA Erotica
- The White Abacus by Damien Broderick falls into this category from apparent Author Appeal. It would seem Broderick thinks a woman with a rose growing out of her shoulder is Fetish Fuel rather than Body Horror.
- Absolutely anything and everything nominated for the Bad Sex in Fiction award.
"Now she made a noise like a tortured Moomintroll."
- In the first Kitty Norville book, the image of a bunch of naked werewolves huddling together for warmth and closeness in a cave could be interpreted as Rule of Sexy, or possibly a kind of Ugly Cute. But see the book's entry in Fridge Horror and then take another look. Earlier, the sex scene between Kitty and Carl is kinda hot, if you can dig the dom/sub aspect, but then Carl ends it by saying "I'll take care of you, and you don't ever have to grow up."
- Fifty Shades of Grey:
- Whenever Anastasia Steele mentions her "Inner Goddess", the bizarre euphemisms she uses to describe her vagina, Christian Grey's penis, or condoms.
- To BDSM fans it's very clear that the author isn't familiar with the subculture and doesn't seem to understand safe sane and consensual, which make some scenes go from "sexy" to "actually kind of horrifying".
- The way Grey treats Ana in general is also a turn-off for all people who need trust and love to find something sexy.
- The way Christian speaks of Ana's virginity like an obstacle to be removed.
- The infamous tampon scene. Christian is about to have sex with Ana, who is currently having her period. He then proceeds to kneel down and slowly pulls the tampon out of her privates, before throwing it into the toilet. Supposedly, this scene was intended to be rather sexy, given Ana's word-choice during this event, but most readers were quite squicked by it. This scene was apparently so loathed by people, that the film refused to shoot this scene.
Live Action TV
- Ianto and Jack's implicit... something (naked hide and seek, anyone?) in series 2 of Torchwood. Gareth David-Lloyd is cute. John Barrowman isn't exactly bad looking either. But put them together, subtract the clothes and add some implicit wild lust and you get the most hilarious pseudo-sex scene in Torchwood history. It's possible that some hardcore fans of the pairing were titillated, but more from the idea than the presentation.
- In Tipping the Velvet the heroine ends up the plaything of a dominatrix/sexual adventuress, with a first encounter involving a strap-on dildo. Some readers found the equivalent scene in the book very erotic. In the TV version ridiculous, impossible to describe music is playing throughout. It's more like the soundtrack to a sporting event. Any sexiness is shattered.
- True Blood
- The show has a great many sex scenes, and a great many scenes involving blood. These scenes tend to coincide. Often. Then there's the corkscrew sex in season three.
- And then there's the neck-snapping sex in season two, and (in season one) Sookie and Bill have sex immediately after he digs himself out of the mud he's been sleeping in all night.
- in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, that scene with Cameron in the last episode. Authoritative commands, removal of clothing, flick knife, wait what was that last one? Ooookay.
- In the pilot episode of Stargate SG-1 the extremely attractive Vaitiare Bandera has a fun frontal nude scene. Great... up until a Goa'uld symbiont burrows its way into her skull through the back of her neck.
- Used in-universe in the Community Christmas Episode "Regional Holiday Music"; at one point, Annie attempts to seduce Jeff into joining the Glee club by wearing a sexy Santa outfit and singing a provocative song. Since Annie is a rather attractive young woman, all would seemingly be good — except that Annie, normally a quite intelligent person, intentionally dumbs herself down until she eventually ends up crawling around squeakily singing babyish gibberish. Jeff is visibly just as discomforted and squicked-out, if not more, as he is turned on by the whole thing. He's probably not the only one.
Jeff: Look, eventually you hit a point of diminishing returns on the sexiness.
Annie: What's a diminunbumbluh?
- On Boston Legal, scenes of Alan circling Denise have a decidedly creepy vibe to them, especially after her fiance just died, especially especially the fact that there seems to be no reason for his hitting on her (other than the fact that she's an attractive woman, of course) as he has had no previous indication of an attraction to Denise beforehand, which seems to suggest that he might be on the verge of some compulsively self-destructive psychotic break. Mostly just takes the form of being Fetish Retardant due to the fact that these overtly sexual remarks are not coming from season 1 Alan , but rather season 3 Alan , making this Belligerent Sexual Tension a little off. Unless, of course, you were into that sort of thing.
- One of the criticisms of Star Trek: Enterprise was that the attempts at fanservice were so obvious they moved away from sexy and into tacky and off-putting. The decontamination chambers where they were stripped to underwear and covered with gel were the most obvious, and the final nail was the especially titillating "A Night in Sickbay:" there was a slight bump in ratings, but after that they dropped and never recovered.
- In-universe example in How I Met Your Mother with Robin, who's shown to have a few sexual kinks that are turnoffs for her partners. Her invitation for a famous hockey player to give her an obscure sex act called the Old King Clancy had him instantly lose interest in her, and one of her boyfriends broke up with her for a bedroom thing that made him uncomfortable. Ted and Barney quickly recognize it and admit it's a valid reason to break up with her, despite Barney being a few symptoms short of a sex addiction.
- The various Cute Monster Girl outfits the sisters in Charmed kept getting put into. They got increasingly Stripperiffic around the fifth and sixth seasons, as did the sisters' general clothing. It's especially hard to get too aroused when one takes into account how much the actresses hated dressing up in those outfits. Likewise Kayley Cuoco burst into tears when she saw an outfit she'd have to wear on the show. Their everyday wear in Seasons 5-7 is also almost a bit too revealing for comfort. There's thankfully a little more modesty in Season 8.
- The video for Alanis Morissette's Thank U provides a similar example: Morissette's hair neatly draped to hide her breasts is one thing but the way her genital area is blurred out actually has a fair bit of horror potential. If the blur effect had just been made a tiny bit more conspicuous, the entire un-sexy effect could've been avoided altogether.
- Alice Cooper's song Cold Ethyl is a love ballad to necrophilia. Any normal person would feel a certain lack of being turned on.
- The World Wrestling Federation putting Chyna and Nicole Bass in bikini contests, based on crowd responses (or lack there of). Chyna getting plastic surgery also, though people eventually got used to it.
- The pornographic elements tacked onto the ECW knockoff XPW shows were a turnoff to a lot of people who simply wanted to see wrestling matches and or had a lust for blood.
- Some who would have otherwise been happy to see the cute, slim "Sick" Nick Mondo were utterly disgusted by his over the top, blood bath garbage matches.
- Early TNA's attempts to live up to its name tended to fall flat, with the X Division and AJ Styles instead becoming what everyone talked about while memories of cage dancers and trashcan sex they try to suppress (too bad TV Tropes will keep them alive). Later TNA's attempts to live up to its name also tend to fall flat, such as The Beautiful People's time with all three knockout titles being considered a dork age for that division.
- WWE's "diva searches", which started as a harmless contest people were content to forget about in 2003, became a massive anti sexy plot tumor in 2004 that derailed interest in their women's division, which till then was (slowly) moving away from sexual fan service. Wrestling taking sexy women and making straight men want nothing to do with them became a running gag on Wrestlecrap in its wake...and there were still three more diva searches to go!
- Carmen Electra's Naked Women's Wrestling League featured clothed matches on their first show, then switched to nude matches after intermission. Many audience members preferred the clothes half. Some swore they returned only because they liked a wrestler and followed some of them long after it folded and they were back to competing in clothing.
- Some felt this way about Ashley Massaro around the time she was released from WWE. She had lost 30 pounds during her time on Survivor China and she had trouble gaining the weight back, leaving her near emaciated and her breast implants looked oversized and disproportionate to the rest of her body.
- Dungeons & Dragons has the utterly notorious unofficial third party sourcebook, The Book Of Erotic Fantasy. Cringing turns to laughter as soon as you look at the pictures, half of which are photos of the same few people (presumably cut-rate models), the other half of which look like terrible Photoshop efforts. It didn't help it is lesbian-heavy in a way that borders on creepy, and that the only male/male flavor text involves a child-sized halfling.
- It wants so badly to be considered serious and mature, yet is chock-full of suspension-breaking items, feats, and spells that blatantly only exist for "sexiness", not because they have any real practical use (though the book certainly tries to pretend otherwise).
- Due to constant aversion of Conservation of Detail, FATAL has plenty of this.
- Bliss Stage intentionally thrives on this. The rulebook actually suggests naming your support characters after past crushes, to help method act how awkward (and potentially fucked-up) teenagers in those sorts of relationships would be under the circumstances.
- In the early Xbox RPG Sudeki, the character Ailish is made of the "Sexual Narm" version of this trope. There's just something really Uncanny Valley about everything she does that's intended to seem sexual (which is everything, in case you were wondering).
- Miss World '96 Nude was probably supposed to be arousing, but it didn't work. As Seanbaby put it in his NON-WORK SAFE review: "Growling demon heads grow smaller demon heads out of their faces, and unleash an onslaught of terror that will cease any self-gratification you might have been starting on. The maggot-dripping vision of terror does eventually turn back into a topless girl, but by then the point is moot. It doesn't matter if a lump of dead bodies burning in a fiery pit of hell turns into the most beautiful girl you've ever seen— you're still done thinking about sex for awhile."
- The gameplay is based on Qix. It's supposed to be an incentive to play well and finish the level quickly; in the original game, your score started going down if you took too long. Unfortunately, as the reviewer above pointed out, it defeats the purpose of including sexy pictures in your game to begin with.
- Chances are it's less about being sexy though and more about deceiving the player.
- The chicks in the game look rather off, too. Some of the models' breasts are Photoshopped to a comical degree, burgeoning on Nausea Fuel once again.
- Invoked in Tsukihime, where in Shiki's dream he rapes a 'doll' that is either Hisui or Kohaku. There is so little response, that even Shiki is dissatisfied. It's actually not a dream, it's Shiki sharing perceptions with SHIKI, who actually is having sex with Kohaku, and is setting up that she's, well, screwed up.
- Of course all the other sex scenes in the game are so horribly written, they could count as well.
- But of course! The scenes aren't written by Kinoko Nasu. And they're hilarious in their badness.
- Speaking of the Nasuverse, Red Saber's transparent-skirted, panties-showing outfit in Fate/extra is turning out this way. Most of the fanbase doesn't find it hot; it's too out of place and hilarious.
- Marian, the Damsel in Distress in most of the Double Dragon games, who is usually a good-looking woman (as seen in the original arcade game and the second NES game), got whacked with the ugly stick in the Sega Genesis port by Accolade. The panty shots were still kept for the Genesis version, but they end up being more disturbing than sexy because of the way she looks (see here).
- In Dragon Age: Origins, the scene you get when you consummate one of the romance options fails on many levels. The music is bad, the visuals are bad, those involved are still wearing their underwear, and it goes on far too long. Mass Effect showed that less is definitely more.
- A picture of bored looking dwarf involved in such a scene is its own mini-meme.
- Not to mention that glitch that can cause the player-character to still be fully clothed/armored during the scene◊.
- Morrigan keeps her eyes open when she makes out with you. "So, that's what it looks like!"
- In her sex scenes, Morrigan is wearing a bra, while it's evident from her normal costume, that she usually doesn't burden herself with such things. This is more Narm than Fetish Retardant, but still, did she take the time to put a bra on just for the sex scene?
- The Sims 2 has the ability to "Woo-Hoo", or have sex. However, it's too cartoonish in noise and appearance to be arousing; it's even worse if you look under the sheets through hacking. The next game in the series cools down the comedy and adds actual moaning, but it's still not much. Making out, on the other hand...
- Curiously, the general reaction among fans to the hot springs scene in Final Fantasy X-2 tends to be annoyance, rather than titillation. Go figure.
- The scene a bit later, when Yuna gives LeBlanc a back massage. LeBlanc's moans and sighs of pleasure feel very out of place and are quite unpleasant to listen to. The fact that this scene, unlike the hot springs mentioned above, is mandatory to proceed in the story and can easily end up needing to be done twice due to the way the massage mini-game is done, makes this scene feel anything but sexy.
- During the Atari 2600 era, a company called Mystique thought it would be a good idea to make erotic videogames for the system. That's right: porn on a system that can't even make dragons◊ not look like blocky, green ducks, let alone represent a sex scene.
- At one point in Heavy Rain, there's an optional sex scene between Ethan and Madison because awkward, pointless sex is Quantic Dream's favorite thing. There's a technicolor rainbow of reasons it's more repulsive than erotic, but for starters: he's been brutally injured, he's worried sick for his son who he knows has a limited amount of time left to live, he's suffering from a burgeoning case of Sanity Slippage and readily admits he could be a serial killer, she's either only sleeping with him to get the story on him if he is the serial killer he thinks he is, or she's fallen in love with him after being around him for a grand total of four hours or so, and on top of all that, it's an awkwardly-framed quick-time event that casts the player as Ethan, so you get to undress Madison in the most uncomfortable way possible.
- Likewise, Fahrenheit, also known as Indigo Prophecy, features an 'interesting' sex scene. The pair are in a freezing boxcar yet strip to the skin, for one, and also one member is a recently revived cyborgized corpse who is explicitly stated to feel stone cold. It also comes completely out of nowhere, between a man and woman who have been pursuing/evading each other for the course of the game (and not in a Mind Game Ship sort of way,) and had no time at all to get to know each other.
- The Secret World
- The game has a mandatory cutscene where Dragon player characters receive oral sex between being doused in fatalist philosophy. Not only does the bizarre topic distract and the sex cause a flashback to a Filth attack on Tokyo, the Dragon philosophy isn't exactly asking for consent at this point and the woman performing the deed may well be a Kumiho. Plus the game doesn't bother asking your sexual preferences: it will be a woman. Even if that's what you like, we also get a full-body shot of a half-demon bodyguard wearing nothing but tattoos and underwear beforehand to distract.
- Cassie (the Morninglight groupie) is a bit less severe, but the same lack of care for your orientation and obvious ulterior motives make her approach more than a little disconcerting.
- While Crescendo ~Eien Dato Omotte Ita Ano Koro~ is a Porn with Plot game that centers more on the plot than the porn itself, the rather faily body proportions (yup, Ayame and Yuka's boobs are almost bigger than their heads), the awkward depictions of sex and the Only Six Faces syndrome can be... distracting.
- In-Universe: In The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures, the "Beat It and Eat It" level is a long tribute to Atari porn games, which the Nerd does not find arousing at all.
- In-Universe: In Saints Row: The Third, Steelport's citizens are less than pleased to see the Boss streaking.
- A major criticism of Diabolik Lovers is that it's too disturbing or scary to be sexy. Some even feel that the game would've worked better as a straight-up horror story and not an otome game. Even some people who are into dubcon/noncon kinks have rejected it.
- Most people would assume that the murder victims that Hopkins, FBI "investigates" were intended as Fan Disservice; however, the way they're presented and how Hopkins barely reacts to the violent fates these poor women suffer (such as the helicopter pilot, whose body was desecrated afterwards) seems to indicate that disservice was not what the game was aiming for. The results are as repulsive as you'd think.
- The stripper minigame in the second level of the original Dead to Rights game was generally received by fans as being more of an annoyance than sexy. It follows a boring rhythm game mechanic, the stripper's performance is very boring and repetitive, and the stripper herself is both poorly rendered and designed. The fact that the main character found his father murdered less than an hour before this scene in-universe (and just a couple minutes earlier in real time) also kind of kills any real sexuality of the scene.
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's Quiet has attracted quite a bit of flak for her design, and a lot of people find the fanservice present so overblown that it has this effect on them. This isn't helped by many people finding the attempted justification for her lack of clothing (parasites that drink and breathe through her skin are what keep her alive because her internal organs have been completely burned) to be plain silly.
- Ride to Hell: Retribution has quite a few "sex scenes" dotted around in the gameplay. Note the quote marks. There are a variety of reasons for it, but the most glaringly obvious is the fact that both participants are always fully clothed. Other reasons include the blank expressions on the character's faces, the circumstances in which the sex occurs and the lifeless-looking animations.
- In Final Fantasy IV, the player can have Cecil pay ten thousand gil (in a game where new weapons are both vital and highly expensive, and at a point in the game where this is not easy money) to receive a lapdance from a small army of pixellated gogo dancers gyrating to a samba version of the Chocobo music. Between the soundtrack, graphics and ripoff price it's pretty impossible to find anything exciting about it - after which you're even criticised by the doorman for being in the club when you have more wholesome things to pursue, as if you were enjoying it. Final Fantasy V and VII got around this problem by having lapdances and jaunts in brothels that were absurd and silly rather than sexy.
- In Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, there is a scene where after the pool is filled, the two ladies camping nearby strip down to revealing bikinis and start splashing around. Any aspect of fanservice gets cancelled out when you realize that the girls are wading around in monster drool.
- Furry Fandom
- It offers many opportunities for interesting couples, but it does not always work as intended. A rather infamous example comes from a kangaroo in the Rare Breed (porn) comic: "Ah yes! Squeeze my pouch-teats!".
- The "furspeak" that some writers/cartoonists insist on using can also turn a story meant to be sexy (or for that matter, deep and meaningful) into hilarity in very short order. From anatomical terms like "tailhole" to overuse of gender neutral pronouns (that aren't commonly used by non-binary people, at least) to the terms "Yiff" and "murr".
- Some of the comic writers don't quite get grammar quite yet. Kind of hard to concentrate on sex scenes when the characters are talking like they're brainless every other line.
- xkcd: Go Go Power Rangers!
- Penny Arcade: In The Love Nest of Har'akki
Tycho:Where are the bipedal crustaceans in this calculation? The swirling, aroused gasses? The lonely, sentient space station whose hermetic bulkheads hold secret clusters of erotic delights, provided your character has both the skills and equipment? Carpe astrum, you Goddamned backwater clowns. There must be an universe of thrilling, dangerous, sometimes razor sharp genitalia that slavers beyond the Horsehead Nebula."Let me paint you a picture...imagine a Chik'har hive maiden scuttling out of her mottled carapace. Her inviting translucent heaving with ripe larvae! She retracts her guard plates, where forty alien breasts bristle with nipples! Yes...a thousand times yes!"
- Shredded Moose: everyone's favorite Gorn-filled misogynist webcomic whose artist can't draw breasts is full of this.
- El Goonish Shive uses it in-universe, with the main characters experiencing it:
- Dan of all people finds the vampire-swooning stuff "a little odd". Susan reminds: the worst vamp-Fetish Retardant is the simple Fridge Logic. Click the link to extinguish those sparkles FOREVER.
- Elliot was beaten by a bag full of these until he's in guilt-trippy mood and "fails at perversion" completely:
Imaginary Random Bikini Model: I'm someone's daughter, you bastard.
- That "Hotter and Sexier" issue of Sonichu. Yikes.
- Kit 'N Kay Boodle: A Furry Comic in which everybody Yiffs around all the time. It might just be tolerable, if not for the fact that the characters are drawn in a cutesy Care Bears-esque cartoon style, clashing bizarrely with the rampant fucking.
- US Angel Corps...well, uh...let's just say that "frequent, realistic, and graphically-depicted gore" and "an author who consistently and without question panders to the creepy misogynistic views of his target audience" do not a good combination make.
- Nerf NOW!! (intentionally) shows us that two sexy things doesn't equal double the sex appeal. Samus in the Zero Suit: Hot. Samus in see-through nightwear: Hot. Wearing both together: ludicrous.
- Cracked presents: Twelve Sexy Ads That Will Give You Nightmares, "The Eight Most Misguided Attempts at 'Sexy' Videos on YouTube and The 5 Most Ruined Orgasms in Cinema History.
- The Cinema Snob's reviews of porno movies tend to invoke this, especially ET: The Porno and Beaver and Buttface.
- Film Junk's Top 10 Gag Inducing Sex Scenes.
- The anthropomorphization of the Fetish Fuel Wiki comes across as trying.
- This reaction is invoked with escher girls, a tumblr blog that catalogs and makes fun of illustrations with female characters posed in an anatomically impossible or just plain ridiculous manner.
- In Comix from the Underground, the Comix Scrutinizer says that The Fall of Little Red Riding Hood is this, due to the fact that the wolf genitalia would serve as an immediate turn-off. Later, he says that Kit n Kay Boodle is this, due to the Tastes Like Diabetes artwork, which Scrutinizer says the Care Bears would masturbate to.
- Squicky Game Art makes fun of women drawn in an unintentionally squicky manner from Tabletop Game illustrations.
- Parodied in The Onion article "Japan Pledges To Halt Production Of Weirdo Porn That Makes People Puke", which describes in detail the fates of the unlucky purchasers of such titles as "Naughty Ginza Maids Drink Cocktail Of Refuse And Bile" and "Let's Underwear Shop In Chinbo-Sho Medical District".
- Brutalmoose experiences this in-work with his review of Lula 3D, as he finds the animiation models unsettling.note
- Intentionally evoked in the Dead Kennedys song "Too Drunk to Fuck" with the following lines:
You give me head, it makes it worseTake out your fuckin' retainer, put it in your purse!
- Helmut Newton's "erotic" photographs.