"Drawn by quest for fire, they searched all through the land Quest for Fire
Drawn by quest for fire, discovery of man"
(French: La Guerre du feu
) is a 1981 film directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud. It is based off the book of the same name by Belgian author J.H. Rosny aîné. It is set in Paleolithic Europe, around 80,000 years ago, and concerns a small group of cavemen as they search for the fire their tribe needs to survive.
Provides Examples Of:
- All Cavemen Were Neanderthals: Subverted, they're Cro Magnons.
- The cannibals, however, are Neanderthal.
- Bears Are Bad News
- Earn Your Happy Ending: The group returns with fire...only for it to be extinguished by a careless man. Naoh tries to make fire with sticks, to no avail. Then Ika tries...and succeeds!
- Gory Discretion Shot: Subverted.
- Groin Attack: ... Ow.
- Kill It with Fire
- National Geographic Nudity: Ika is naked throughout the movie. In particular, Rae Dawn Chong was cast as Ika because she was the most comfortable with nudity. She remained nude and covered in body paint between takes to stay in character.
- One Million BC: Slightly more accurate than most examples.
- The caption, as noted above, reads "80,000 years ago", but Annaud admits in the DVD commentary that it might just as well be 800,000, so...
- Scenery Porn, Real Place Background, Shoot the Money: The film was shot in Canada, Scotland, Iceland, and Kenya, leading to some gorgeous shots.
- Silence Is Golden
- Uncanny Valley Makeup: The makeup effects on the people work very well...too well.