It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
- Cult Classic
- Dude, Not Funny!: In one scene a guy gets hit on the head. Ika laughs hysterically for over a minute; the others glare at her. This is because the concept of laughter is unknown to them. Later, however, they have a healthy dose of it.
- Fridge Horror: Done in universe when the boys find what they initially think is a well cooked meal... and are then horrified to discover they've been eating people. It's like Soylent Green all over again.
- Genre-Killer: Of the "One Million BC" referenced below. The movie set the bar so high that nobody's dared try to compete with it.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Big Ed Hurley (who also happens to be Stilgar from the David Lynch version of Dune) and Hellboy are cavemen now! And Ika is played by Squeak (who also happens to be Cindy the stewardess from Commando).
- Narm: The infamous Groin Attack is just too funny to take seriously. Unless perhaps it's supposed to be funny in which case it's a Big Lipped Alligator Moment.
- Science Marches On: It was done with the knowledge of its time. Many aspects displayed by the film are wrong, but nobody knew back then.
- Special Effects Failure: The mammoths have not aged well.
- Squick: When they get it on.
- Ron Perlman has explained this several times: "There's not a lot of foreplay, it's just (*obscene grunting*)."
- Vindicated by History: It's not a famous film, but compared to recent prehistoric films like The Flintstones and 10,000 BC, it's one of the best in its genre, if not the best.