Born on April 14th, 1973, Adrien Brody is an Academy Award-winning American actor and producer. Brody grew up in Queens, New York City
. His mother is Sylvia Plachy, a renowned Hungarian photographer who Brody credits with making him comfortable being in front of the camera. Brody remained on the cusp of stardom for many years until he was launched into recognition with Roman Polanski
's 2002 film, The Pianist
, a biopic of Władysław Szpilman during World War II
which earned Brody much critical acclaim and an Academy Award for Best Actor, as well as nominations for a Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild and BAFTA award. Brody holds the distinction of being the youngest ever winner of the Best Actor Oscar and the only American to ever win a Cesar, the French equivalent to an Oscar.
Brody is known for his unconventional looks and even more unconventional roles, appearing in such films as The Thin Red Line
, The Brothers Bloom
, The Darjeeling Limited
, Summer Of Sam
, King Kong
, The Village
, The Jacket
, and Splice
, and he has worked with such directors as M. Night Shyamalan
, Terrence Malick
, Spike Lee
, Wes Anderson
, Dario Argento
, Woody Allen
, Peter Jackson
and Steven Soderbergh
. He has also appeared in commercials for Diet Coke, Schweppes, Stella Artois and Gillette razors.
- Acting for Two: In Giallo
- Cleopatra Nose: His large, angular hooter is a major contributor to his distinctive appearance.
- Deleted Role: In The Thin Red Line. Brody's character was intended to be the lead and his role was reduced to a few small scenes.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Famously lost over 30 pounds for his role in The Pianist. He also bulked up considerably for Predators.
- Enforced Method Acting: During the filming of The Jacket, he would ask the director to leave him in the drawer even when they weren't filming so he could get into character more. He lost it and his reaction was caught on camera.
- Persona Non Grata: He's been banned from hosting Saturday Night Live because he improvised an introduction for musical guest Sean Paul in which he was dressed in dreadlocks and rambled in a Jamaican accent. While most viewers did consider this the high point of the episode, Lorne Michaels' Berserk Button for guests is doing a bit without his express permission.
- What Could Have Been: he was considered for the role of Spock in Star Trek, which some might say would have been a match made in heaven. He was also considered for The Joker in The Dark Knight