Rian Craig Johnson (born December 17, 1973) is an American film and television director, producer, and writer known for creating films such as Looper. He seems to often cast Joseph Gordon-Levitt for roles, even if it is just for a cameo appearance. He is also known for directing a trio of Breaking Bad episodes, one of them being "Ozymandias", which has been hailed by critics and audiences as one of the greatest episodes of television ever made.He is One of Us, since apparently he likes Game of Thrones, and is interested in working on Doctor Who. He has since become a Promoted Fanboy, directing Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi, and was later hired to develop a new trilogy of films unrelated to the Skywalker Saga.
- Brick (2005)
- The Brothers Bloom (2008)
- Breaking Bad (2010, "Fly"; 2012, "Fifty-One"; 2013, "Ozymandias")
- Terriers (2010, "Manifest Destiny")
- Looper (2012)
- Star Wars
- The Last Jedi (2017)
- New Star Wars trilogy (TBA)
Tropes applied to himself include:
- Adorkable: In addition to being One of Us.
- My Nayme Is: Rian Johnson. It's pronounced the same as "Ryan."
- Nice Guy: Kevin Smith calls him an incredibly pleasant guy to talk to.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Usually in the middle.