Ian, otherwise known as brutalmoose
, is a video game reviewer on YouTube
and Hidden Block
. He does reviews mostly of PC titles, though he occasionally does console games too. His style is more relaxed than most of the other comedic video game reviewers on YouTube with a notably more informative direction, although he does mostly do it for the humor.
He also does occasional Top 5 videos, which are usually his top 5 games for a certain category plus a guest pick, and the Lightning Round, where he only gets two minutes to review a game.
List of Episodes:
Top 5 Lists:
This show provides examples of:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
- Happens in his Sonic Shuffle review; he says there was a time when Mario Party and Sonic the Hedgehog were cool, before listing off several things such as Sonic's later games and listing them off by saying "that was before that and that and that and that...and that..." ending on Elise kissing Sonic.
- Also occurs in his Fatty Bear review, where he mentions games these days are typically labelled as "violent, mind-numbing, and God knows what else." While he says this, he also uses text to list the arguments, but for the last thing, he uses "delicious."
- Artificial Stupidity:
- He demonstrates in Fašade that he was able to get the best ending by doing nothing except using the word "Yes" the entire time.
- In Sonic Shuffle he shows the computer characters getting hit over and over in the final minigame, in an area way far away from all the action.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: He mentions this several times in Fašade, particularly whenever he tries to end arguments.
brutalmoose: I don't want to talk about that [the sculptures].
Grace: Oh... So, I just had to have these sculptures.
- Being Watched: How he interprets the Buzzy button in Let's Explore the Airport.
- Captain Obvious: "Driving ain't like skateboarding." No Shit City, Population: Pepper Roni.
- Cardboard Prison: Because he doesn't know how to make them, his first prison in Prison Tycoon is built without any fences. Naturally, the criminals have no trouble escaping.
- Curse Cut Short: Happens twice in the A Hat in Time prototype, you stupid bi-
- Did Not Do the Bloody Research: Mocked in his Spy Fox review; after Caddicarus uses stereotypical American terminology to mock Ian back, Ian responds with "Bloody wanker."
- Distracted by the Sexy: Happens accidentally in his LEGO Island 2 review, where during a normal conversation, Valerie Stubbins appears next to Nick Brick. He adds a Staggered Zoom onto her and drowns out everything else.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: Prior to Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise, brutalmoose never showed up on camera. Also, in his really early videos, his voice was notably much less enthusiastic.
- Fake Brit: Pulls off one in his SPY Fox in Dry Cereal review. Caddicarus is not amused about it.
- Guilty Pleasures: The entire theme of one of his top 5 lists.
- Hurricane of Puns: Bad Rats features a slew of "rat" puns, such as Alex Ratriguez and Rodent Hood.
- Hypocritical Humor: Happens at the beginning of his LEGO Racers review:
- Lame Pun Reaction: His response to most of the puns in Spy Fox. Also happens at the end of the video when he says "Spy Fax" about a fax machine.
- Logo Joke: Most of his videos use logos based on the game he is about to play. For instance, Humongous Entertainment game reviews typically have the logo formatted like the HE logo itself.
- Police Are Useless: Discussed in his LEGO Island review:
brutalmoose: But don't worry, though. Even though I just released the only criminal on LEGO Island, the police are basically like, "Oh, s'all good."
Infomaniac: So we need someone to race over there! Someone who can use a vehicle that can travel on roads and paths, over ramps, and in a jiffy!
brutalmoose: Oh, you mean a motorcycle.
Infomaniac: A skateboard, perhaps!
There are two people on motorcycles right there! [arrows point at Nick and Laura, both riding motorcycles
] But no, the general consensus is that a skateboard would be a much, much better idea. Everyone here? Idiots.
- Safety Worst: In SimTown, not only does he put three fire stations right next to each other, but he also adds prisons in the most inappropriate places, such as right next to a bunch of apartments.
- Shallow Parody: He says this about Wacky Funsters!.
- Stylistic Suck: His personal interpretation of Razor Freestyle Scooter's soundtrack.
- Take That: In his Sonic Shuffle review, he uses Seinfeld as a picture for the word "boring".
- This Is Gonna Suck: "Since I'm in a Dreamcast mood, let's just plug it in and see what's in there." (Sonic Shuffle shows up) "Help meeeeeee..."
- Unreadably Fast Text: Used very often, usually as a form of Self-Deprecation.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: Exploited relentlessly in Prison Tycoon 3, where he completely removes everything except the fences and turns it into a literal game of survival.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Pokes fun at this in Razor Freestyle Scooter:
- You Keep Using That Word: "Accident!!" in Sonic Shuffle, which according to the game means a random minigame. Ian is quick to call the game out on this.