Video Game: Escape From Bug Island
Escape from Bug Island is a survival horror game where the player takes control of Ray who is traveling on an island with his two friends. Later, they both go missing, and he soon discovers that the island is filled with mutated bugs and creatures.
This game contains examples of:
- Alas, Poor Villain: When you finish off the Gorilla, both times, Ray appears to show some sympathy towards it. Probably unintentionial.
- Anyone Can Die: Support characters are dying left and right, even ones you just met, as you progress in the game. Completely averted after the "time drive" though.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Two handed weapons are stronger and not that much slower to use, but without a flashlight in one hand, you are blind! Unless you find a clip-on light that is, then it becomes averted.
- Boring, but Practical: The benefit to throwing rocks is that you always carry 99 of them, refill them completely at any rock pile, and they do a moderate amount of damage.
- The can of bug spray has a short range, but will make shorter work of the bugs you spray on.
- Cut and Paste Environments: To make it ridiculous, the game repeats half way in.
- End Game Results Screen: One of the ways to discover what your bonus objectives were for the level you just finished!
- Escort Mission: Subverted. The one level that has it is short enough to not be a problem, and the AI partner appears to be invincible either. The only issue is making sure they do follow you.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The can of bug spray kills bugs. Especially ants. And yes, it works.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: The back of Ray's jacket reads "ASSSSA"
- Future Shadowing: Half way in the game, Ray falls down from a cliff and finds himself waking up at the starting section of the game with all of his inventory carried over. This is never brought up after that, but Ray does put this knowledge to use and managed to save almost everyone.
- Guide Dang It: See Side Quest below.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: You can carry many weapons, on top of 99 rocks, and every health item you can find in the game. The only limits that exist are on ammunition and each amount of throwing items you have.
- Improbable Weapon User: Some weapons you obtain are mundane objects, including a stick from a tree. An interesting example is the Exploding Ants. Their butts are literal bombs that you can obtain as throwing weapons by using "bug spray."
- Let's Play: scxcr did one, among others.
- Love Triangle: A light-hearted example with Ray, Mike and Michelle. Ray and Mike just casually competes over her love while she's clueless to both of them.
- Multiple Endings: Beating the game the second time nets you a different ending.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Robert Dallas
- Sarcasm Failure: Mike offers to stay on the island and find a way to escape so Ray can leave on the helicopter and he'll have the chance to play the hero. Ray remarks that he couldn't pass middle school, prompting Mike to take back his offer and get on the helicopter.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Ray can do this halfway through the game.
- Side Quest: Each section of the game has secondary objectives, which are not necessary to complete the game, especially since you won't know without beating each section or looking up a guide.
- Survival Horror
- Title Drop: When you visit the temple the second time, there is a diary entry where the author mentioned "Escape From Bug Island"
- Two Guys and a Girl: Ray and Mike, along with Michelle who had them tag along to begin with. Inevitably, Michelle caught the interest of Mike, who gets competitive with Ray. Ray, being somewhat empathetic about it, ends up getting with Michelle anyway, but Mike takes it well.
- Three Plus Two: Later, Lynn and Harry can be found and added to the list of people Ray can rescue only to fail. But he succeeds the second time.
- With Friends Like These...: Ray and Mike. Mike likes to be a dick at Ray, is competitive over Michelle, and has a habit of pointing his shotgun at him or near him. Ray does have his share of insults thrown at him and is more intelligent than him (lampshaded later in the game). Despite that, they're good friends.
- Lynn and Harry qualifies too.