A character is getting ready for a date with a beautiful girl or a party with his friends. He has just finished showering and has just put on some cologne, but when it comes time to put on his clothes, he puts on his pants, but when he puts on his tuxedo, he finds that he is having problems trying to button it. Just when he finally gets the suit all buttoned, the buttons suddenly pop off after a few seconds and fly in different directions. Apparently, the character has either gained weight, or the suit is not as big as he remembered it to be. This is a Comedy trope in which a character has trouble buttoning his shirt or pants, because he has either gotten too fat or the clothes are too small for him. Of course, there are also some cases where when the shirt is buttoned, the buttons don't pop off, but the shirt is completely stretched out at the buttons. It's also happened with belts as well as it also happening at the breasts. You can see this trope pop up in most forms of media. Can go hand in hand with either Temporary Bulk Change, Breast Expansion, Hulking Out or Balloon Belly. Also Truth in Television.
open/close all folders
- A few Subway commercials use a variant where burst shirts, pants, (chairs, etc.) (to the tune of the 1812 Overture) are used to imply overweight/obesity caused by other fast foods. It's taken Up to Eleven in the very last shot of one ad, with a driver being handed a bag of food by the person at the drive-through window and the car instantly blowing out its tires.
- An old Lee jeans commercial had this happen to a father, whose jeans button popped off and ricocheted around the living room before eventually finding itself caught in the mouth by the family dog.
Anime and Manga
- Happened to Tubby in the very first episode of the Little Lulu anime.
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, Ukraine's boobs cause a button on her shirt to pop off. She's later seen sewing it back on.
- In the 5th episode of Shinkon Gattai Godannar!!, Kiriko Aoi does this◊, and her shirt stays that way for the rest of the episode.
- A Certain Magical Index: Oriana Thompson's shirt covers her large boobs with one button, and it pops off after she gets punched.
- In one chapter of Sgt. Frog, Natsumi tries to brush off having put on a few kilograms over the winter by pointing out to herself that it doesn't really show... then a button tears off her skirt as she's getting dressed. Cue Keroro discovering Natsumi doing aerobics in her room with the heater turned up.
- In an episode of Koma Theatre for Fullmetal Alchemist, this happens to Olivier in an opening. She gets annoyed by this and demands that the show start.
- In D-Frag!, Takao usually doesn't bother zipping her gym jacket up, due to her breast size, but wanted to prove she wasn't just too cheap to buy a new uniform when she outgrew her old one. She managed (to great applause), but later popped the zipper with enough force to knock Kenji out.
- At the beginning of episode 6 of Seikon no Qwaser, Tomo tries to squeeze her massive breasts into a maid outfit. All the buttons pop off and hit Miyuri right in the face.
- This happens to Kanako in Maria†Holic Volume 7 after gaining a lot of weight off of eating/drinking nothing but mayonnaise.note
- Balrog does this in Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie(yes, with pure muscle) in response to Zangief's challenge.
- In Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, Myuu has enormous breasts, and as a result, she often pops off her shirt buttons, which distresses her.
- The entire premise of "Pig Goes Pop!" The player who causes his belt to snap off is the loser!
- In a non-clothing example, Gaston Lagaffe once made a very stylish leather sofa with the covering held down by buttons. Unfortunately, he emphasized how taut the thing was by putting his hand on it, turning the sofa into a machine gun nest, buttons flying everywhere as the onlookers ducked for cover.
Films — Animated
- In the teaser trailer for The Incredibles, Mr. Incredible has difficulty putting on his belt because of obesity. When he finally gets it buckled, it suddenly comes undone and rockets across the room. (This scene was not included in the actual film.)
- Shrek The Third had Shrek's belt buckle pop off and hit Donkey in the face, leading to a very nasty chain reaction.
- Happens in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit when Wallace turns into the Were-Rabbit.
- In Monsters vs. Aliens, as Susan grows her wedding garter snaps off and knocks out a poor bystander.
Films — Live-Action
- This happens in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban when uncle Vernon's sister Marge comes to visit the family and she bullies Harry into jinxing her to bloat. Film adaption makes one of the popping buttons knock Dudley out.
- In Village of the Giants when the teens eat the substance that makes things grow, there is a close-up of the chest of one of the girls as the buttons pop off her sweater.
- Galactically stacked gravure idol (and later pornstar) Fuko has the breast version as part of her repotoire.
- In Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, this happens to Violet when she turns into a giant blueberry (her belt pops off and the rest of her outfit is stretched out down to the buttons).
- In National Lampoon's European Vacation, Audrey has a dream where she's overeating from European meals and desserts. It ends with her chest swelling so much that the buttons pop off.
- In Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Tom Kitten, the protagonist named Tom Kitten is seen trying to fit into his new clothes his mother made him. His mother tells him to suck up his stomach in order for his clothes to fit in fear of having one of the buttons popping off. However, one of the buttons does pop up resulting in his mother having to sow up another new button on his shirt.
- From a compendium of rude limericks:
There once was a girl from Darjeeling
Who danced with such exquisite feeling
That the only sound for miles around
Was of fly-buttons hitting the ceiling!
Live Action TV
- On Just Shoot Me!, Maya is dating a Chubby Chaser and thinks he's fattening her up. Jack dismisses it until her pants button pops with such force it embeds itself to the wall.
- Referenced on The Beverly Hillbillies:
Granny: Ellie May done popped the buttons off her shirt again.Jed: Ellie May carries herself proud with her shoulders throwed back.Granny: It ain't her shoulders that have been poppin' these buttons.
- On Modern Family, a pregnant Gloria refuses to admit that she needs maternity wear, until her shirt pops open in public.
- "Weird Al" Yankovic bursts a few heavy-duty buckles when he shows his homies who's fat.
- Lei Fang's Ending from Dead or Alive 4.
- In the DLC case of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies, Norma de Plume's breakdown on realizing she was deceived by what she thought was Orla the orca attacking the victim involves all the buttons bursting off her coat at once, with her pudgy body jiggling for emphasis.
- The TaleSpin episode "Gruel And Unusual Punishment" had Baloo getting ready to go to the Pilot's Ball with Rebecca, but when he gets his old tuxedo all buttoned up, the button pops off and ricochets all over the room. It was a sign that Baloo definitely needed to go on a diet.
- The Super Mario Bros. Super Show episode "Do You Princess Toadstool Take This Koopa...?" has Koopa squeezing into a tuxedo only to have a button pop off and hit Mouser in the face.
- In an episode of The Critic, Jay tries on some new clothes and makes a whole song about popping the buttons off of his shirt. I'm, too tubby for my shirt (pop), too paunchy for my shirt (pop), so bloated it huuuuuuurts (pop, pop).
- In The Fairly OddParents! episode "Just Desserts" the now fat Trixie's belt snaps off as she's eating a big cookie.
- In Three Little Pigs, when the Big Bad Wolf starts to huff and puff, he pops the buttons on his suspenders, causing his pants to fall down.
- On the Merrie Melodies short "Daffy Duck in Hollywood", director von Hamburger puffs out his chest as he screens his movie, popping the buttons on his shirt.
- 6teen: In "Girlie Boys", Caitlin's skirt button pops off as she begins to put on weight—and this happens right after she says, "Can you imagine eating enough chocolate to gain twenty-five pounds?"