One day Mrs. Tabitha Twitchit was expecting guests, so she washed and dressed her three children and turned them out into the garden, instructing them to behave themselves and not to ruin their fancy clothes. You can probably guess what happened next
This story provides examples of:
- A Simple Plan: All the kittens had to do was stay neat and clean until Mrs. Twitchit's friends arrived. Being kittens, they manage to fail at this spectacularly.
- Aerith and Bob: Mittens, Moppet, and Tom.
- An Aesop: Obey your mother, or alternatively, don't trust your rambunctious children to keep their nice clothes clean, because realistically, they're probably going to make a mess.
- Cute Kitten: Our three main characters.
- Doomed New Clothes: The clothes get stained by grass, ripped apart, worn by ducks, and finally are lost at the bottom of a pond.
- Forced into Their Sunday Best: The Sunday best in question are stated to be quite uncomfortable and in Tom's case, too small.
- Two Girls and a Guy: The kittens