Not pictured: Space Whales.
In an alternate universe to our own, humanity has subjugated all other life in the galaxy and spread throughout the stars. However, peace is a forgotten state of existence. PACT, a revolutionary front, has toppled the once mighty New Empire and is spreading throughout the galaxy. Led by the mysterious Veniczar S. Arcadius and his cult of personality, PACT appears intent on dominating every human being in the galaxy.
You are Captain Kayto Shields of the starship Sunrider. Hailing from the neutral world of Cera, you are thrown onto the galactic stage when your world is invaded by PACT. Your mission: To find allies from across the galaxy and stop the PACT menace once and for all.
Created by Love in Space. Funded successfully
, reaching over fourteen times the required amount.
Has an official website here
, with a public beta version available here
. It's also on Steam here
Sunrider contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Most of the girls fit this, as they pilot Mecha into battle.
- All There in the Manual: The main website has two pieces of Sunrider lore, found here and here. More are expected to come up as the game progresses in development.
- Amazon Brigade: The player's main force is an all-female Mecha squadron.
- The Battlestar: The Sunrider is not only armed with Trinity lasers, missile launchers, and a pair of powerful kinetic cannon turrets, it also contains a hangar bay for "Ryder" Mecha.
- Beam Spam: The general tendency of enemy fleets in most battles (especially ryder-heavy ones).
- BFG: The Sunrider has a capital ship weapon strapped onto its frame. It costs 2,500 command points to use, but anything hit by it (up to and including space stations) are in for a world of hurt.
- Chainsaw Good: Some of the mecha use chainsaw weapons.
- Doomed Home Town: The capital of Cera, the protagonist's home planet, gets nuked immediately following the first battle.
- Experienced Protagonist: Kayto Shields is a trained Captain by the beginning of the story.
- The Federation: The Alliance, despite its name. However, there are hints that the Alliance is not all sunshine and daisy either...
- Fighting for a Homeland: The crew of the Sunrider, after the invasion of Cera.
- Freeware Game: Although Kickstarter backers get much more frequent updates during the beta period.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Most of the mecha and ships seem to have some form of laser-based attack.
- Great Offscreen War: The Solar Alliance-New Empire war, which led to the rise of PACT.
- <Hero> Must Survive: While other units are expendable and only reduce money gain when lost the destruction of Sunrider means Game Over.
- Humongous Mecha: Called Ryders here. They make up most of your team during battle.
- Kinetic Weapons Are Just Better: Justified in the setting. While fleets have traditionally fought by squaring off and blasting away at each other with lasers, shielding technology has progressed to the point where it's fairly easy for a fleet to achieve overlapping coverage that completely negates incoming energy fire. More forward-looking admirals have taken note of this, and are designing new ships (like the Sunrider itself) designed to close in and engage with kinetics. Ingame, kinetics also have the advantage of being much more powerful, although beams have greater accuracy and range).
- La Résistance: The player character, Kayto Shields, is the leader of the only survivors of the Cera Space Force.
- Laser Blade: Some mecha use lasers as melee weapons as well as long-ranged blasts.
- Mooks: The PACT Mook, obviously. The Pirate Grunt also qualifies.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Expect to be hit by one of these at the very start in many levels. Later in the game as more missile-capable units are added (and missile storage upgrades purchased), players can also do this.
- Mile-Long Ship: The Pact super dreadnought Legion, which is three kilometers long.
- Nintendo Hard: Especially later in the game.
- Overnight Conquest: The PACT invasion of Cera along with other worlds in the Neutral Rim.
- People's Republic of Tyranny: PACT has shades of that, especially with its crimson theme for warships and how Veniczar Arcadius talks about capitalist corruption when facing the Alliance.
- Point Defenseless: Generally averted with regular missiles, but rockets will often breeze through most flak. A special ability be used to invoke this trope, and player upgrades can tip the balance in either direction.
- Shoot the Mage First: PACT Carriers and Support ryders are heavy on this trope, the former due to its continuously spawning new ryders and the latter because of ability to inflict very nasty debuffs on the player.
- Space Opera
- Space Pirates: Cosette and her gang.
- Sole Survivor: Seems to be a running theme.
- So far, the Sunrider is the only ship in the Cera Space Force that managed to escape PACT's invasion of Cera.
- Chigara is the only person who survived the Diode Catastrophe.
- Icari is the only member of her family to survive the encounter with PACT troops.
- Sola - despite her Heroic Sacrifice - she's the only survivor of Ryuvian Civil War's final battle.
- Wave Motion Gun
- The Sunrider's Vanguard Cannon, a spinal mount anti-capital weapon that can be fired only using special orders tab.
- Veniczar Arcadius' flagship, the Legion, comes equipped with even bigger one.