Sam & Cat
is an upcoming Nickelodeon
teen sitcom, created by Dan Schneider
. It is a Spin-Off
from both iCarly
(Sam Puckett, played by Jennette McCurdy
), and Victorious
(Cat Valentine, played by Ariana Grande
). With the end of iCarly
approaching, the network was looking to create a new show for Jennette to star in (continuing the tradition of making shows with actors from the previous show). It eventually settled on this Cross Over Spin-Off
- the first of its kind.
It involves Sam moving away from Seattle and to San Francisco to become a babysitter, with Cat somehow getting involved in this, and the pair living with Sam's grandmother.
It has been greenlit for 20 episodes to be filmed in early 2013 and has confirmed to air in June 2013.
Not to be confused with Sam & Max
This show contains examples of:
- Babysitter From Hell: Considering Sam's existing character build, and the last time she had to look after children resulted in her creating a child labor sweatshop, Sam will probably be at least a mild version of this trope. Cat's Cloudcuckoolander behavior will likely mean she'll lose or otherwise neglect the children in her care.
- Cross Over: The title characters coming from iCarly and Victorious. Fortunately Cat never met Fawn Leibowitz, or she'd think Sam had a(nother) twin sister. It's planned to be a more long lasting one than iParty With Victorious.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: The episode titles are in the form of #TwitterTags.
- Real Song Theme Tune: The show's theme song is "Why Can't We Be Friends?" by Sean Kingston and Jasmine V.
- Required Spinoff Crossover: Robbie is back in the fourth episode. Elsewhere, the title characters have a scene with Sikowitz in his classroom.
- Spin-Off: A dual spin-off, from iCarly and Victorious.
- Wunza Plot: Parodied in the initial promo.
Cat: I play a cop on the edge who makes his own rules!
Sam: No, you don't. That's not what you play.
Cat: And she plays a lonely doctor who's fed-up with the system!
Sam: I don't play a doctor, and I don't care about the system.
Cat: And together we fly a starship in search of friends and moondust!