- Whitney Houston, Rihanna, Mariah Carey, Beyoncé, Jennifer Hudson, India.Arie, Alicia Keys, Frank Ocean, Amy Winehouse, Imogen Heap, Michael Jackson, Céline Dion, Christina Aguilera
Ariana Grande-Butera (born June 26, 1993) is an American singer & actress. She is best known for her roles in Victorious
and the Victorious/iCarly Spin-Off Sam & Cat
. Has a Youtube
channel where she shows off her musical talent, a Twitter
account, a Facebook
, and an Instagram
. She used to do a UStream
every Friday, but had to stop during 2013 (some fans snarkily suggested that this was because she had a bad habit of accidentally revealing her phone number during said streams). Her debut album, Yours Truly
was released in September 2013, and a second album titled My Everything
came out in August 2014.
Ariana's half-brother Frankie Grande was a houseguest on the sixteenth season of the US Big Brother
Ariana Grande exhibits the following tropes:
- Action Girl: In the "Break Free" video.
- Ambiguous Ending: While the theme of "Problem" is pretty straightforward (Ariana singing about someone who she is still in love with, but knows is bad for her and won't change no matter what) it's never made abundantly clear if she takes her own advice to break it off, or if she can't help herself and ends up taking her ex back.
- Award Bait Song: "Almost Is Never Enough" and "Tattooed Heart".
- Big "NO!": She is featured in a sketch on MTV's Nikki and Sara where she is hired to sing bad news to the duo's employees. After wanting to leave due to her feeling uncomfortable, she does this after the 2 girl's attempts to get her to stay, all in song, and ends with a regular spoken "no". You can view it here.
- Breakup Breakout: After Victorious ended, Cat got her own spin-off, whereas the rest of the cast are off of Nick. More importantly, this launched her music career into the stratosphere, and she's the biggest Nick star since Miranda Cosgrove. Unfortunately for Nick, just like Miranda, Nickelodeon and their owners Viacom had very little input, control or profit over the non television side of their careers.
- Breakup Song: "You'll Never Know".
- Celeb Crush: Stated that her first celebrity crush was Justin Timberlake.
- Cry Cute: Let's face it, whenever Ariana cries whether it's in real life or on-screen, you can't deny wanting to give her a hug when she starts breaking down.
- The Cutie: She is adorable personified, even moreso in person.
- Disproportionate Retribution: In her song with Mika, Popular Song, Ariana turns Mika into a statue because he knocked over a block tower she made when they were children. Long time to hold a grudge.
- Double Entendre: "Love Me Harder". Does she want stronger emotional love or physical love?
- The End of the World as We Know It: The video for "One Last Time" places her in such a setting.
- Emotionally Tongue Tied: "Baby I" is about not being able to find the right words to tell someone how much you love them.
- Fangirl: Of Mariah Carey, India.Arie, and Imogen Heap in particular.
- Fluffy Fashion Feathers: For a holiday concert in 2013, she wore a white mini Happy Holidays Dress trimmed with white feathers.
- Genre Throwback: Many of her songs are throwbacks to 90's R&B.
- Hartman Hips: Invoked this by accident when she said she had a "pear-shaped" body.
- Heavy Meta: "Piano" is an uplifting song meant to bring lovers together, which happens to be about Ariana wanting to write an uplifting song that brings lovers together.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Is this with fellow Victorious co-star Liz Gillies.
- Hotter and Sexier: "The Way", her song with Mac Miller. It earned comparisons to Mariah Carey.
- She dials this up with "Love Me Harder" featuring The Weeknd. The innuendos are much stronger and it's clear what she is really singing about. Not to mention the music video.
- And she somehow manages to wear even less for the "Bang Bang" video with Jessie J and Nicki Minaj.
- Intercourse with You: "The Way".
- "Bang Bang".
- "Love Me Harder" makes this even more obvious with stronger innuendos and her seductive sounding voice.
- It Is Pronounced Tro PAY: Her name is actually pronounced "Are-ee-on-ah" rather than "Air-ee-on-ah".
- Melismatic Vocals
- Ms. Fanservice: In the "Love Me Harder" music video.
- Non-Indicative Name: "Grande" translates to "large". (Or, given her post-Nick fortunes, maybe it is indicative, after all.)
- Odd Friendship: With Mac Miller and the members of OFWGKTA.
- Oh, Crap: Had this reaction during a stream when Jennette accidentally revealed Ariana's phone number.
- And later on, she did it to herself. Fans had a collective Here We Go Again moment.
- Older Than They Look: She's 21, but still looks like a young teenager.
- Pep Talk Song: "Put Your Hearts Up". Mind you, she absolutely hates this song.
- The Scream: As heard in Sam & Cat, Ariana can definitely let out a bloodcurdling scream.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: In her singing videos.
- Sequel Song: According to Word of God, "Right There" to "The Way".
- Silly Love Songs: "The Way", "Baby I", "Honeymoon Avenue", "Better Left Unsaid", "Tattooed Heart", "Lovin' It", "Daydreamin'", "Right There".
- Singing Voice Dissonance: Her regular speaking voice is very soft and subtle, but when she sings, she sounds like this.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Apart from the Nikki and Sarah skit above, there's this.
- Speak of the Devil: She allegedly captured some demon faces on film while exploring a cemetery with her friends, and weird things have been happening around her ever since. She's afraid to share the photo lest it cause this to her fans.
- Spiritual Successor: In terms of her singing prowess, to Mariah Carey.
- Stage Name: Grande is only part of her real last name note .
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: "Tattooed Heart", "My Everything", and "Almost Is Never Enough".
- Teens Are Short: As Cat Valentine (in real life she's 21) - she stands at just five feet tall.
- Three Minutes of Writhing: The video for "Love Me Harder" features Ariana posing, stroking herself, and wearing a bra and short skirt the entire time.
- Torpedo Tits: Missiles from her chest in the video for "Break Free".
- Vocal Evolution: No, really. Her speaking voice has somehow grown deeper than it was early in Victorious, necessitating a switch to the more cartoony, babyish Cat Valentine voice we hear today.
- A Wild Rapper Appears:
- Mac Miller in "The Way".
- Big Sean in "Right There", "Best Mistake", and in the hook for "Problem".
- Iggy Azalea in "Problem".
- Childish Gambino about two-thirds of the way through "Break Your Heart Right Back"
- Woman of a Thousand Voices: She has several videos of her doing impressions, among those being Shakira and Judy Garland. Also, she's a voice actress. There's also the changing the pitch of her voice to play Cat Valentine.