Jessica Ellen Cornish (b. March 1988) a.k.a. Jessie J
is a British singer and songwriter who burst onto the UK pop scene in mid-2011 with her hit single "Do It Like a Dude." Since then she has been on the covers of several magazines, garnering attention for her weird dress style
, ever-changing hair colour
and distinct sound
. Her second single, "Price Tag," featuring B.O.B., gave her worldwide success. She has written for artists such as Justin Timberlake
. She won the Critics Choice
Brit Award in 2010 and since then has gone on to win in several others during 2011; such as the MOBO awards, the Capital FM awards, the Urban Music awards, the Radio 1 Teen awards and the BT Digital Music awards. Jessie J was also nominated for Best UK and Ireland Music Act
in the 2011 MTV Europe Awards.
In addition to her own catalog, she also wrote the Miley Cyrus
song "Party in the USA."
- Who You Are (2011)
- Alive (2013)
Provides examples of:
- Acting for Two: All three adults in the "Who's Laughing Now" video are played by Jessie J, along with herself.
- Adults Are Useless: All three adults in the "Who's Laughing Now" video are aloof to Young Jessie's actions.
- Alice Allusion: The tea party table in "Nobody's Perfect"
- Apathetic Teacher: The teacher in "Who's Laughing Now" is shown at her desk rolling her eyes and showing lack of interest at the chaos in her classroom.
- Audience Participation Song: In live versions of "Wild", Jessie J has the audience sing back the "wild, wild, wild, oh-woah-oh" part.
- A Wild Rapper Appears:
- B.o.B. spontaneously appears in "Price Tag".
- Taken to another level in "Wild". On the British single, both Big Sean and Dizzie Rascal do verses, with only a chorus separating them. In the American single, only Big Sean gets to rap.
- Be Yourself: Don't lose who you are / in the blur of the stars ...
- Bi the Way: She is openly bisexual. But some sources (mainly primary, fewer secondary sources) state that this is Played for Laughs.
- Black Sheep Hit: "Do It Like A Dude" is not like anything on her debut album ... for better or worse.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: She plays up this aspect of her personality in interviews.
- Covered in Gunge: In the video for "Who's Laughing Now", Young Jessie sprays her entire class of bullies with fire extinguisher fluid.
- Deliberately Monochrome: The music video for "Wild".
- Flipping the Bird: Jessie J flashes both the middle finger and the inverted-V in "Who's Laughing Now."
- Girl Posse: A younger version is shown tormenting Young Jessie J in "Who's Laughing Now".
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: The youngest of three sisters, Jessie J describes herself as the odd one out growing up with two academically minded sisters whilst being more inclined toward singing and arts.
- God-Is-Love Songs: "Thunder" is one of them, according to Jessie J herself.
- Hidden Depths: Before her debut single was released, she was getting praise from various other artists who described her as the "best singer in the world," " a musical genius," etc. Before becoming a solo artist, she wrote songs for Miley Cyrus, Chris Brown and Justin Timberlake.
- Her debut single "Do It Like A Dude" was written for Rihanna.
- Important Haircut: For the better part of two years, Jessie J continuously stated she would shave her head for charity. What's interesting is when she did finally get around to doing it, she was on the verge of a new album campaign...
- Intercourse with You: Under her real name of Jessica Cornish, she released a song called "Sexy Silk", which is part of the Easy A soundtrack. It definitely fits the trope.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: Her single "Nobody's Perfect" is, for some bizarre reason, widely torrented since its release, especially on Demonoid.
- The Lad-ette: "Do It Like a Dude" is centered on the "man-dem."
- I Taste Delicious: Video for "Who's Laughing Now".
- Lingerie Scene: Jessie's in black underwear for most of the "Wild" music video, but in an artistic context. Ditto for the single cover.
- Melismatic Vocals
- Precision F-Strike: Although "Jessie J" already curses in both "Do It Like a Dude" and "L.O.V.E.," she drops an F-bomb in the otherwise clean "Nobody's Perfect" for good effect. In recent live versions however, she goes for a PG version.
- Self Empowerment Anthem: "Who You Are" is about being okay to be hurt, as long as you Be Yourself.
- Singer Namedrop: "J-J-J-Jessie J!"
- She Cleans Up Nicely: When going to award shows she has shown that she can clean◊ up well◊ as opposed to her usual unkempt◊ look◊.
- Surreal Music Video: Nobody's Perfect has clear Alice in Wonderland influences, along with a room of clocks, Jessie in black glunk, and other surreal scenes.
- Take That: The whole point of "Who's Laughing Now?" at former classmates.
- She also made a Take That at Birmingham City Council on her social networking pages, although there is doubt over the authenticity of the Take That at them.
- True Companions: She is best friends with fellow British singer Adele, with whom she went to school.