Raising Sims consist of applying schedules for a game to process, which in turn affects characters in the game, who then develop 'on their own' without constant user interference. In this case the character can be a city or population, where it's often referred to as a "God Game". Populous
is remembered fondly by this term.
Other times the target being raised is a single character such as a pet or monster. The player determines what actions are relevant for building what stats, with multiple potential end products, often to be pitted against players.
Occasionally it's a human being being raised to adulthood to be a good adult — or for other sketchy purposes
— and the endings are concerned with multiple variations of futures
A subgenre of Simulation Game
. Compare to Mons
, where raising sim and RPG Elements
are combined, usually with the raising sim element taking a back seat.
Games where you hold the fate of a real live person in your hands! Figuratively.
- Chobits Chii Dake no Hito. Based on the anime you can take time to raise Chii, see gameplay here.
- THE iDOLM@STER, a Japan exclusive arcade and Xbox game, is a massively multiplayer online raising sim that has players guide the career of their chosen Idol Singer, with competitive auditions against other players of the game.
- Ikari Shinji Raising Project, Raising Ayanami (child version) — Gainax milking Neon Genesis Evangelion for everything they can.
- Princess Maker (child version)
- Cute Knight and Cute Knight Kingdom are clear Spiritual Successors to Princess Maker, although the focal character is slightly older and the player is no longer explicitly acting as a parent, but more as the girl herself.
- Same for Spirited Heart
- Kongregate has My Pet Protector 1 and 2 (raising a young man) and Project Princess (putting the player in the parental role)
- Games where the player is in the role of a woman raising at least one young man:
- Angel Profile (Japanese)
- Dear My Sun!! (Japanese)
- Prince Maker - Braveness
- Real Lives
- The Sims
- The Sims 2
- The Sims 3
- Sotsugyou (Graduation)
- Tiny Tower
- Wonder Project J (robot/child version)
- Star Dream is about raising idols - the second game gets positively meta with this, as the main character (who is working towards super-stardom himself) can meet the protagonist of the original series and become her manager.
- A Mind Forever Voyaging (an Interactive Fiction game) does not feature this as gameplay, but as a plot element. The player controls an artificial intelligence who has been raised as a simulated human being.
- Long Live the Queen, which takes place in a Deadly Decadent Court that will kill your character if you screw up (which will happen often).
- Alter Ego - It takes your character from infancy to old-age, has a focus on making smart decisions and getting the most out of life.
Games where the individual people are de-emphasized, and you instead raise communities of people, generally by changing the environment they live in.
- Black & White and its sequel (pet version as well as population version)
- Dwarf Fortress (with a fortress full of alcoholic midgets)
- The military fit the definition for 'people' as well, using standing monthly orders to develop better soldiers, each assigned one or more weapons to master.
- SimCity (with cities)
- Tiny Tower
Games where you raise non-human creatures. Often Mons