"I think most would describe Mew-Genics as a cross between The Sims and Pokémon with a sprinkling of Animal Crossing and a dash of Tamagotchi , but at its core the game really isn't like anything we've seen before."Mew-Genics is an uncancelled (as of January 2018) project of Team Meat (Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes). Most gameplay details came from a post describing a single description of a "typical" gameplay session. It has been variously described as "a game about cats. Sorta," and "a Crazy Cat Lady simulator," and involves raising and breeding cats for fun and profit.
— Edmund McMillen on Mew-Genics
This game would have contained examples of:
- An Interior Designer Is You: It's actually an important game mechanic; the furniture the player decorates their house with changes cat behavior and stats.
- Black Comedy: Like anything from Team Meat, this abounds.I was arrested by the local animal control shortly after I put Puddle in the cube, probably because of letting Goon run away.. and the whole giving my other cat aids thing… or maybe it was the dead cat in the attic.
- Crazy Cat Lady: As above, it's a "crazy cat lady simulator."
- Creature-Breeding Mechanic: This upcoming game that places the player in the role of a crazy cat lady, will have this as one of its main game mechanics.
- Cute Kitten: Goes without saying.
- Deliberately Monochrome: The game, according to all revealed screenshots, is exclusively monochrome.
- Empathic Environment: Inverted. The environment changes the cats, making them wear mustaches, or even look like Meat Boy.
- Evilutionary Biologist: The player, to a certain extent.
- For Science!: "Judge me if you may, cats are the future, boy. Now it's time to play!"
- G-Rated Sex: According to this teaser, kittens are made by rubbing two cats together until one of them gets fat, and then that cat will eventually poop out a kitten. Although, we can see several pairs of cats humping later in the video.
- Human Popsicle: Or rather, feline popsicle. The cryocube will allow the player to store cats indefinitely.
- In the Style of...: The Ear Worm honkytonk song in the PAX trailer has been compared favorably by many to Tom Waits.
- Mons: You'll be able to use the cats you breed as these in cat fights.
- The Noseless: Kittens. "(because noses aren't cute!)"
- Procedural Generation: How the cats you breed and care for are generated, providing, according to official numbers, over 25 septillion possibilities for physical appearances alone.
- Raising Sim: The core gameplay.
- Right Way/Wrong Way Pair: Tink and Butch's different methods of raising cats are contrasted this way in a promotional comic.
- Stone Wall: It's possible to breed defensively oriented cats that are literally made out of bricks.
- Video Game Cruelty Punishment: If the gameplay session summary is anything to go by, treat your cats well or the animal control will take notice.