Populous is a God Sim
, scratch that; Populous is the God Sim
. Designed in 1989 by Bullfrog Productions
(developers who also brought us Theme Park
, Theme Hospital
and Dungeon Keeper
) under the leadership of a young Peter Molyneux
(who later brought us Black & White
). It saw the player taking the role of a deity that helped a primitive tribe of people into a powerful enemy to defeat the rival gods.
There are currently four main games, plus a few expansions :
- Populous (1989)
- Populous: The Promised Lands (1989)
- Populous: The Final Frontier (1989)
- Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods (1991)
- Populous II: The Challenge Games ?
- Populous: The Beginning (1998)
- Populous: The Beginning - Undiscovered Worlds (1999)
- Populous DS (2007)
Bullfrog was taken over by EA in 2007, in the era where EA had made a reputation for the Borg-like assimilation of studios they bought out, so it's highly unlikely another sequel will be made.
This game series contains examples of the following tropes :