Video Game: Operation Wolf
Operation Wolf is a 1987 Light Gun Arcade Game by Taito. You are a solider that arrives in a Banana Republic country to take down the dictator and free the hostages. The game focused around ammo conservation, and running out of ammo would surely seal your fate.The game received three sequels: Operation Thunderbolt (1988), Operation Wolf 3 (1994) and Operation Tiger (1998).
Operation Wolf contains examples of:
- Banana Republic: The game is set in an unspecified location in the South American jungles.
- Bullet Proof Human Shield: Operation Thunderbolt had this at the end; the villain used the hijacked plane's pilot. You get the Bad Ending if you kill the pilot.
- Critical Annoyance: Happens as your health ran down. It would also flash helpful messages if your ammo was low, too.
- Digitized Sprites: The third game
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: The 4th scene boss in Operation Wolf 3. While you fight a wave of terrorists for the majority of the third game, and you fight an attack helicopter, a tank, and a Harrier jet as bosses, the fourth boss resembles more of an alien Brain in a Jar compared to the rest of the other bosses.
- Have a Nice Death: "You have sustained a lethal injury. Sorry, but you are finished... here."
- It's a Wonderful Failure: "Since you have no ammunition left, you must join the hostages"
- Lock and Load Montage: The game begins with a Lock and Load montage sequence based loosely on a similar sequence from the 1985 action film Rambo: First Blood Part II.
- Nonstandard Game Over: Aside from "sustaining a lethal injury", the game will also end if you run out of bullets and grenades ("Since you have no ammunition left, you must join the hostages."). Strangely enough, you still have to run out of health before that happens.
- One Bullet Clips: Averted, you could only get more ammo by the magazine. Reloading is automatic, too, so if you want to avoid it you'll need to waste a few rounds.
- One-Man Army: Yes, just drop right into the jungle and shoot everything by yourself, no backup whatsoever.
- Operation Blank: The title of the game
- Painfully Slow Projectile: Knives and grenades
- Sean Connery Is About to Shoot You: A soldier is already shooting you!◊
- The sequel Operation Thunderbolt: A soldier is about to shoot you! (Japanese arcade flyer)◊
- Shoot the Hostage Taker: The second boss uses an old woman as a human shield, but an able player can off the boss without hurting the woman (who will then wave happily at the player.) Just wait for the boss to pop out to shoot you, and blast him then.
- Stock Scream: Operation Wolf 3 uses its death screams for the terrorists from movies such as Commando and Lethal Weapon 3.
- Video Game Cruelty Punishment: Shooting civilians or prisoners will hurt you.
- Wraparound Background