Video Game: Valley Of Unicorns
Valley of Unicorns
is an adoptables site that takes place in the Celestial Vale
universe. Like its now-defunct sister game, it revolves around collecting and breeding pets, but it lacks the competition system and complex genetics. While Celestial Vale
contained a diverse array of species, the Valley is home only to equines. Well, mostly equines
Valley of Unicorns provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: What little information there is on the Valley and its inhabitants has been revealed by Word of God on the forums, as opposed to being stated in the game itself.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: The rule, rather than the exception. Six of the seven species have "natural" colors, but it's much more common to see a brightly-colored horse. Arguably justified, since they are fantasy species.
- Bedsheet Ghost: Last Minute Costume is a limited edition unicorn color.
- Cats Are Mean: Not mean exactly, but Temple Cat cares about money above all else. It's implied that he steals eggs from their mothers in order to stock his shop.
- Celestial Body: Mystic Void alicorns look like this.
- Cool Horse: Six of the seven species are horses, and they are indeed pretty cool.
- Creature Breeding Mechanic: Breeding results are usually semi-randomized, but some rare colors have unique inheritance behaviors that can encourage purebred lineages or breeding at specific times of the month.
- Creepy Cool Crosses: The Bearing Roses pegasus has one on its flank.
- Eagleland: Flavor 1 was the focus of the Fourth of July 2013 event.
- Everything's Better with Rainbows: Rainbows are a popular running theme among the more exotic pet colors, especially for unicorns.
- Fishing for Sole: Players were guaranteed to catch something during the 2013 fishing event, but more often than not, they got trash.
- Fishing Minigame: This was the basis of the site's first special event.
- Gem-Encrusted: Birthstone horses, most notably the Amethyst pegasus.
- Green Thumb: Mystic Forest alicorns can make plants grow anywhere they want. Gardeners often keep them for this reason.
- Hellish Horse: A few colors, but the Possessed pegasus stands out.
- Mechanical Horse: Silver Cyborg and Rusty Cyborg unicorns, contrary to the name, look like full-on robots as opposed to mere cyborgs.
- Microtransactions: Users can spend real money on gold coins, which are used to buy special horses.
- Our Fairies Are Different: Spring fairies are horses with fairy wings. Their baby forms resemble caterpillars.
- Our Gargoyles Rock: There is a Gargoyle pegasus.
- Pegasus: As shown in the page image, this is an available species.
- Rearing Horse: The most common pose of adult pegasi.
- The Mimicry, Duck Duck Goose, Starcatcher, and Heartstrings colorations are explicitly based on My Little Pony characters.
- The Strawberry Avalanche coloration is named after an Owl City song.
- Single Gender Race: Paaefarin are all male, while heraldic unicorns and fakeicorns are all female.
- Spin-Off: Of Celestial Vale.
- The Tragic Rose: The Bearing Roses, Lost Love, and Granite and Roses horses have dark-colored roses adorning their bodies to evoke this trope.
- Unicorn: Comes in regular and heraldic flavors.
- Winged Unicorn: Alicorns were one of the three original species, and were much more difficult to obtain in the site's early days.