Webkinz are toy stuffed animals that were originally released by the Canadian Ganz company on April 29, 2005. The toys are similar to many other small plush toys, however, each Webkinz toy has an attached tag with a unique "Secret Code" printed on it that allows access to the "Webkinz World" website. On Webkinz World, the Secret Code allows the user to own a virtual version of the pet for online play for a limited time (one year). Lil' Kinz are smaller, less expensive versions of Webkinz, while the Signature collection are larger and slightly more expensive. Sales of plush Webkinz toys are limited to the United States and Canada, but international users can buy virtual pets from the online eStore.As of 2016, members whose accounts were previously unusable due to not purchasing any new pets have had their content restored. This may be because of the dramatic decline in popularity that the website experienced, meaning that requiring users to purchase new stuffed animals to access the website is no longer a realistic business model.
Tropes displayed in this web original:
- A Dog Named "Dog": Fairly common among the young children who name their Webkinz. In-game, there's "Ms. Birdy", a bird who runs the Adoption Center.
- Everything's Better with Plushies: Well, DUH!
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal
- Play Every Day: The game gives a daily gift, daily log-in bonuses, and reward games that can be played daily (Wishing Well 2, Wheel of WOW). In fact, it encourages checking back every hour by having a "Today's Activities" list of potential rewards players can receive if logged in at certain times.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Many people give their pets made up/misspelled names.
- Ridiculously Cute Critters:
- Sweet Tooth: The chihuahua in the Candy Bash games. He will never get enough.
- Video Game Caring Potential: You can build a strong relationship with your pet by providing for its needs.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: Neglecting your pet or feeding it gunk/gak/blech/a food it doesn't like. That's about it.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Very frequently guilty of this.