is a 1972 crime drama film directed by Sam Peckinpah
and starring Steve McQueen
and Ali MacGraw. It was based on the novel of the same name by Jim Thompson
. Was remade in 1994 starring Alec Baldwin
and Kim Basinger
Doc and Carol McCoy are husband and wife convicts who go out on the run from their ex-partner after he puts Doc in jail following exchanging a prisoner with money and Carol sleeping with a businessman which resulted in his death.
Not to be confused with the third-person video game
, or the pinball table The Getaway: High Speed II
, as well as the 2012 film of the same name
Tropes seen in both films:
- Action Girl/Drives Like Crazy: Carol
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Fran falls for Rudy almost instantly, finding him much more sexy and exciting that her milquetoast veterinarian husband.
- Driven to Suicide: Poor Hal.
- Laser-Guided Karma: After hanging all over and flirting with Rudy, then sleeping with him practically right in front of her husband, then not having the slightest bit of remorse after he kills himself, Fran is left alone and devastated—and stranded in a strange town miles from home when Rudy himself is killed.
- Real-Life Relative/Romance on the Set: Mc Queen and Mc Graw became involved while working on the original film, while Baldwin and Basinger were already married before working on the remake.
- Scarpia Ultimatum: How the businessman ensured Doc's release from prison