The Best Man is a 1999 comedy film starring Taye Diggs, Nia Long, Morris Chestnut, and Sanaa Lathan. Spike Lee produced the film, and his cousin Malcolm D. Lee directed.Up-and-coming author Harper Stewart (Diggs) travels to Los Angeles for a wedding and is forced to deal with the fallout once his friends start to recognize themselves in his thinly-veiled autobiographical novel. A sequel titled The Best Man Holiday was released in 2013.No relation to the 1964 political drama starring Henry Fonda, or the Gore Vidal play from which it was adapted.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Subverted with Mia, who spends most of the sequel looking gorgeous, despite being cancer-stricken. . .until she takes off her wig and reveals that the chemotherapy has left her bald.
- Black Gal on White Guy Drama: Actually averted with Jordan and Brian. There's some mild teasing of Brian from the other guys, but their issues stem from Jordan's stubbornness.
- Blood from the Mouth: Mia, indicating how ill she is.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: used for the college flashbacks
- Happily Married: Subverted with all the married couples in the sequel. While ostensibly happy together, the reunion dredges up some underlying issues and causes tension.
- Men Don't Cry: Averted by Lance during his wedding ceremony and after Mia's death
- Sequel Gap: 14 years between the original and the sequel.