Film: The Best Man
This is a 1999 movie starring Taye Diggs, Nia Long, Morris Chestnut, and Sanaa Lathan. Up-and-coming author Harper Stewart (Taye Diggs) travels to Los Angeles for a wedding and is forced to deal with the fallout once his friends start to recognize themselves in his thinly-veiled autobiographical novel. A sequel titled The Best Man Holiday was released in 2013.
- Big Man on Campus: Lance, in the college flashbacks.
- Career Versus Man: Jordan
- The Casanova: Quentin
- Dance Party Ending
- Evil Redhead: Shelby
- Expository Hairstyle Change: used for the college flashbacks
- Henpecked Husband: Julian
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: "Candy"
- I'm a Man, I Can't Help It: Quentin's philosophy
- Men Don't Cry: Averted by Lance during his wedding ceremony
- Moment Killer: The skipping CD
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: Mia
- Roman à Clef: Harper's novel.
- Ready for Lovemaking Jordan and Mia, separately.
- Retroactive Recognition: This is often considered to be Oscar nominee Terrence Howard's breakout role.
- Shirtless Scene: Harper
- Spear Counterpart: To black female-centered films like Waiting to Exhale
- They Do: Lance and Mia
- Those Two Actors: Most of the principal actors have made at least one other film with one one of their castmates, but this film is the second of three turn-of-the-century romcoms that Sanaa Lathan and Taye Diggs appeared in together.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Jordan and Harper