I did half a year of French at high school. I don't think I absorbed much beyond "Je m'appelle David." You'd think I would have paid more attention to the luscious young Miss P. who was our teacher. Or maybe that was my problem.
The Sexy Mentor is when a main character has an intelligent, understanding and informative boss who's a bit older than they are and undeniably attractive. At some point, it's quite possible that they might become an Official Couple
. Otherwise it's just wishful Shipping
on the viewer's part. Usually there's at least some flirtation or UST
. In any case, the viewers often end up whistling, "Man, I wish that were my
Of course, in Real Life
, this kind of behavior is ripe for sexual harassment claims. As a result, this trope contains most of the same Unfortunate Implications
as Hot for Student
, since the sexual harassment angle is rarely seriously explored, except as the pursuit of some devious villain.
Usually the Sexy Mentor is a woman; this is probably a combination of two factors. Women have been given more major roles in fiction in recent years, but conversely, there's still an expectation that women on television are supposed to be at least basically attractive, so sex appeal ends up being the way to go. On the flip side of things, where a male Sexy Mentor is concerned, this is usually in a work whose target audience is largely women
has some good commentary on this topic, as she couldn't help but notice that she had a similar situation in her novel Rampant.
See Also Mentor Ship
, Hot for Teacher
. If the mentor particularly enjoys the power she has over the man, it's Mistress and Servant Boy
Anime and Manga
- Ur's training of Gray and Leon in Fairy Tail involves all of them in their underwear in a blizzard. She doesn't care because the two kids are about ten and she thinks of them like sons, so it's slightly less squicky.
- Shigure from Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple is such an example that illustrations of such are too explicit to show on this wiki.
- Both Aquila Marin and Ophicus Shaina in Saint Seiya, although they did put Seiya and Cassius through Training from Hell.
- For the female fans, Aquarius Camus is a male version.
- Libra Dohko retroactively becomes one during the Hades arc, when we learn that his old form is actually a mere Sleep Mode Size cover, which he can shred at will... showing that he's actually a really hot Dark-Skinned Redhead (anime) or Eerie Paleskinned Brunette (manga).
- Misato Katsuragi from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Shinji's classmates openly envy him for living with a hot babe like Misato, despite the fact that he doesn't think of her that way. At least until their Last Kiss in End of Evangelion.
- Lisa Lisa in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure part 2. Thankfully she didn't get together with Joseph because she's his mother.
- Played with in Bleach. Action Girl Yoruichi trains Ichigo more than once and has absolutely no modesty (to the point that she thinks nothing of walking around nude in front of Ichigo), but she also has a cat form (with a male voice). She also trained both the Sugar and Ice Personality Byakuya and the Tsundere Ninja Soifon, before meeting Ichigo. Amusingly, flashbacks show that Child!Byakuya's reactions to Yoruichi's mentoring style were almost identical to Ichigo's.
- The titular character of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha after the ten-year Time Skip, being a Battle Instructor of the bureau. Fate, Vita, and Signum also count during StrikerS, being mentors for the rookies together with Nanoha.
- Izumi Curtis in Fullmetal Alchemist. Neither Ed nor Al are particularly hot for her, though, mostly because she scares the shit out of them. That, and she's very Happily Married...to a Mighty Glacier of a Gentle Giant.
- Played with in Mahou Sensei Negima!, where Negi's mentor Evangeline McDowell is a Really 700 Years Old vampire with the body of a 10 year old girl. However, she really wants to be seen as mature and beautiful, so she uses an illusion to give herself a more... adult body, at which point she falls into this. She also had a crush on Negi's father, and possibly Negi himself.
- When alive, Minako-sensei from Hell Teacher Nube. Tall, blonde, well-endowed, with killer legs and a very short miniskirt... Nube was a kid back then, but even in these days he appreciated how pretty his teacher was.
- Yuuko from XXX Holic. She toys with Watanuki quite a bit; flirting with him, stroking his face, and once even offering to striptease. Watanuki never once seems a bit pleased by this.
- Sumeragi Lee Noriega from Gundam 00, whose relationship with Allelujah has some romantic undertones. She has some inspiration from Misato above, being similarly a Ms. Fanservice Hard-Drinking Party Girl/The Alcoholic who is also a competent military officer.
- General Cross Marian from D.Gray-Man.
- And in the later chapters, we have General Klaud mentoring Timothy.
- Coach Maria Momoe of Ookiku Furikabutte is quite...talented.
- Hana No Mizo Shiru: Kawabata, Misaki's tutor (and guardian after his grandfather's death), fit the trope. Then Misaki grew up and entered university, and his role in Misaki's life shifted for the worse.
- Gleefully exaggerated by Aikuro Mikisugi in Kill la Kill, Ryuko's mysterious and ridiculously bishonen mentor, who can't get through a lesson with his protege without turning it into a strip show.
- Green Lantern Hal Jordan acted as a mentor to the teenaged Lantern Arisa.
- Emma Frost in Uncanny X-Men Vol. 3, she decides to wear a sexy punk-ish outfit when comforting Benjamin after his fight with Scott. It just makes him incredibly uncomfortable since he's only wearing a towel at the time.
- The Proposal plays with this in that Margaret is Andrew's boss and is sexy, but her personality means that he isn't attracted to her till they get away from work.
- Paul McGann looks quite good playing the protagonist's mentor (who got an Age Lift downward from the novel version) in Queen of the Damned. But since Lestat is around to gawp at, Jesse doesn't seem much fussed about her cute, young-ish mentor or any of his advice.
- After living as an ascetic, the titular character of Siddhartha comes to a courtesan named Kamala who teaches him how to be a man of wealth. After several years however, he decides that he had wasted his life and sought a different path to Nirvana.
- Dimitri is this to Rose in the Vampire Academy series. Dimitri is seven years older than Rose, and most of the series plays off their troubles in getting together. By the end, they do. The main reason that they're able to get together publicly in the finale is because Rose has finished her education (both mundane and combat-wise) and he's no longer her teacher. Before this occurs, their illicit attraction is only consummated once, and the subject of blackmail from the Big Bad.
- Molly of The Dresden Files considers her teacher in magic, Harry, to be this. (We're not sure if this is a result of her hero worship towards him or not- the series is narrated by Harry, and he is very self-deprecating.) She goes so far as to proposition him after becoming his apprentice; Harry refuses, mainly because she's still a minor, and he's known her since she was a little girl.
- Also, her father is both one of his best friends and a Knight of the Cross, and her mother both isn't all too fond of him, and makes her husband's armor.
- In The Return of the Condor Heroes, Xiaolongnü to Yang Guo.
- In Grey's Anatomy, Meredith and Christina enter into such relationships with their bosses in the first few episodes.
- The Middleman. Lacey keeps referring to him as Sexy Bossman, although at Wendy's insistence she switches to Pillow Lips.
- Some Heroes fans believe Claude "Invisible Man" Rains falls into this category. Then again, he is played by Christopher "Doctor Bad Ass" Eccleston.
- The Doctor from Doctor Who has been this one of these to some of his companions, with Jack Harkness being a rather good example, and also a bemoaner of the fact the romantic possibilities inherent in this trope never happened as much as he wanted. Captain Jack became a sexy mentor himself on spinoff show Torchwood.
- Depending on who you ask, Katie Cassidy/Genivieve Cortese as Ruby could count as this for Sam in Supernatural. And now they're sleeping together too.
- Occurs in an interesting manner in NCIS - Gibbs mentored Jenny Shepard and had a relationship with her. She becomes his boss. So, they're Sexy Mentors to each other.
- Everyone's favorite tweed-y British-y "Sexy Fuddy Duddy": Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, whose hotness is remarked upon by Jenny, Faith and Joyce. See his performance of "Behind Blue Eyes" in Where The Wild Things Are for further in-universe acknowledgement, as all three ladies present seem slightly hypnotized by the sexy, and two are lesbians.
- On the other hand Buffy herself is squicked by the thought when Spike suggests there might be something between them. This is because she herself regards Giles as "boring, old and English" and the subtext that does exist between them is a surrogate father/daughter kind.
- On Dexter, Lila becomes a sexy NA sponsor to Dexter (while thinking he is a recovering drug addict), although she seems to know considerably more about the sexy part than the whole sponsoring thing, and she's totally off her rocker to boot.
- While that's happening, Federal Agent Frank Lundy oversees an investigation with Deb working under him, and he takes that opportunity to teach and encourage her. He returns following another case two years later, and he and Deb begin dating.
- Blaine from Glee definitely qualifies. Lampshaded by Kurt, who is not-so-secretly pining for him and at one point asks "Any sage advice?" in a half-flirty, half-dejected voice.
- Babylon 5: Delenn to Lennier, although it never goes anywhere due to other circumstances.
- Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock. He and Liz had some Unresolved Sexual Tension in season one, following that the concept was played for laughs.
- No Ordinary Family
- Inverted, where Stephanie's mentor is interested in her, but she's Happily Married to her husband.
- Stephanie herself is a Sexy Mentor, considering how she interacts with Katie, who admires and looks up to her.
- Katie herself was in this role, when she had been JJ's tutor temporarily and he had developed a crush on her.
- Sam for Andy in Rookie Blue. As he is her training officer, they are warned several times that nothing can happen. Despite that, and her relationship with a detective at their division, the Unresolved Sexual Tension between continues to build.
- Castle has Mike Royce for Beckett, and even implies some level of feelings/intimacy between the two.
- Frequently occurs in Chuck — Sarah is Chuck's mentor and Love Interest.
- All of the coaches from The Voice, except for Cee Lo Green.
- Likewise from The X Factor US, Simon Cowell, Demi Lovato, and Britney Spears definitely qualify. Your mileage will vary on LA Reid.
- Quistis Trepe from Final Fantasy VIII, at least initially, serves as Squall's instructor at Balamb Garden (despite only being one year older than he is). She even has her own fan club among the students, called "Trepies". She also fights with a whip.
- Paola◊, the Florentine madame who instructs Ezio in stealth probably counts.
- Soul Calibur III: Seong Mina doubles as both Yun Seong's mentor and his "big sister" figure. Which may be the reason he doesn't seem to notice just how hot she happens to be. Or, it might be because she treats him like a kid.
- Female Shepard in Mass Effect is made of this trope, being the insanely hot commander of a starship. She serves this role to most of her canon love interests, but it's most pronounced with Garrus and Kaidan. Aria T'Loak was also this to Nyreen Kandros, in the backstory of the Omega DLC. It didn't end well.
- Frederick from Fire Emblem Awakening is a Tall, Dark and Handsome Battle Butler who is specifically mentioned to also be an instructor for the Ylissean military. You can get him hooked up to Action Girl Sully, one of her old pupils and also make him the father of Sully's daughter Kjelle.
- Mia Fey from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, tempered somewhat by the fact that she dies at the beginning of the second case.
- This is a bit weird when Pearl shows up. A channeler takes on the appearance of the person they are channeling. So it's bad enough when a 17 year old childish teen grows half a foot and gains a large bosom, but when it happens to a seven year old who is still wearing a seven year old sized outfit it's kinda freaky.
- In the third game, it is revealed in flashback that Mia had her own Sexy Mentor, Diego Armando. And they did get together.
- Rin in Fate/stay night serves as an informal instructor in magic to Shirou.
- Pyrrha Nikos from RWBY qualifies as this to fellow teammate Jaune Arc. At least as far as 'releasing his Aura' goes (before the team formed). He looked quite awkward when the process required her to touch him. Finally becomes this trope properly after Jaune takes her up on her training.
- Justice League uses this with Green Lantern John Stewart and Katma Tui. It's stated that they actually were an item in the past.
- Captain Planet and the Planeteers had Gaia for the Planteers. Some say because of, others in spite of being voiced by Whoopi Goldberg.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: Katara was Aang's Waterbending teacher before they became the Official Couple. Of course, she's only two years older than he is, but the heavy lifting in teaching him was taken care of by Pakku anyway.
- The team in Young Justice has Black Canary as their Fighting Instructor and Team Psychologist. She's sexy enough that Superboy's girlfriend will shapeshift into her and make out with him. (The original was not happy about it.)
- In Ōban Star-Racers, Rick Thunderbolt (The Ace through and through) ends up as a mentor figure to the surprisingly un-starstruck Molly; an intelligent, understanding and information-giving mentor who is a bit older than Molly and considerably more than just attractive.