is an eight-issue comic book series created by Barbara Slate and published by DC Comics
in 1986. It tells the story of the lead character Angel Love, a rollerskating waitress at a New York restaurant who is an aspiring cartoonist. Her circle of friends include Cindy, another rollerskating waitress, Wendy, her aspiring actress roommate, and Everett, her musician neighbor. Despite the cute cartoonish artwork, Angel Love
deals with serious issues such as drug use, abortion, critical illnesses, and incest, making the series confusing to market
. The series ended with a special that concluded the events that the final four issues were dealing with, the story arc of Angel finding her long-lost sister Mary Beth.
Angel Love provides examples of
- Big Applesauce: The main setting of the series.
- Blackmail: How Angel gets Mary Beth to save their mother, by threatening to expose her Maureen McMeal identity. Angel keeps her promise of silence, but the information is still leaked to the press, causing Mary Beth to drop out of the political race and out of Angel's life forever.
- Blind Date: Wendy has one with a child!!!
- The Ditz: Wendy Thornball.
- Deadpan Snarker: Everett's got a pretty sharp tongue. Luckily for him, Wendy's antics give him a lot of material for him to work with.
- Functional Addict: Don the bartender snorts cocaine and appears to have his life under control, but Angel sees that drugs have control of him. Angel refuses to take drugs and eventually refuses to date him until he cleans himself up.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Cindy becomes pregnant, and is considering an abortion. Angel is against her friend having one, but Cindy is so adamant to have an abortion that Angel joins her at the abortion clinic for moral support...until Cindy suddenly decides not to have an abortion and to marry her boyfriend instead.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Everett resembles Michael Jackson of the early 1980s.
- Obfuscating Disability: Rose the bird. She does get injured by a cyclist while Wendy teaches her how to fly but continues to have Wendy pamper her long after her foot heals.
- Only Sane Man: Between being a Cloud Cuckoolanders Minder for the ditzy and gullible Wendy and being the rational side to Angel and her questionable decisions with her love life, Everett's got it rough.
- Parental Incest: Angel finds out that her sister Mary Beth left home and changed her name to Maureen McMeal due to the shame she carried of Angel and Mary Beth's father sleeping with Mary Beth, and is even ashamed that she actually enjoyed it.
- Released to Elsewhere: Inverted in this series: Angel was told by her mother that her father died and went to heaven. In truth, as revealed by Angel's sister Mary Beth (later renamed Maureen McMeal), Angel's father left the house after the mother discovered that he was sleeping with Mary Beth, and is possibly still alive.
- Talking Animal: Angel Love's apartment has talking cockroaches.