Film: Saw II
Saw II (2005) is a film in the Saw horror series.
This film provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The razor box trap was actually meant for Gus, the man who was shot in the head by the peephole gun. Addison's trap was apparently going to have an (unseen) iron waffled pressed against her face, but she was ultimately the victim of the box instead.
- Afraid of Needles: A meta example: One of the producers was afraid of needles.
- And I Must Scream: The razor box trap. It's a glass box which holds one of the antidotes for the toxin pumped in the house. But if you reach your hands into it, razors will press into your arms and keep them trapped inside until you either bleed to death or die from the poison. Addison falls victim to it, and is left screaming after Xavier leaves her to die.
- Batter Up: An insane Xavier murders Jonas with a nail-covered baseball bat.
- Big "NO!":
- Addison, shortly after Xavier leaves her to bleed to death in her glass box trap.
- Eric, shortly after he fails his test and is left to die in the basement Dr. Gordon and Adam were in.
- Booby Trap: Poor SWAT team members one through four early on.
- Clutching Hand Trap: The movies typically go the Hand in the Hole route, but this one has a more seriously played version. In one room, a glass box hanging from the ceiling contains a syringe of antidote for the nerve gas that was slowly killing the characters. One character finds the box, reaches in through holes in the bottom, and finds out too late that the holes are fitted with folding razors that slice into her arms when she tries to pull them out. She is left to die of either blood loss or gas exposure.
- Cut Apart: Near the end of the film, three separate groups (a SWAT team, a police detective, and one house victim chasing two others) look like they're about to meet. It's soon revealed that none of them are in position to meet each other.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Laura convulses and succumbs to the toxin as Amanda cradles her after she fell over.
- Eye Scream: The first five minutes involve a man named Michael faced an iron maiden like mask harnessed around his neck, with the key being surgically placed behind one of his eyes and given tools to remove it which he was unable to do, and the mask closes around his head.
- Gus takes a bullet to the brain through his eye as he looked into the peephole of a door with a magnum triggered to be set off when the door is unlocked.
- Final Girl: Subverted. Amanda Young appears to fulfill this role best, but then it's revealed at the end that she was working with Jigsaw all along.
- Gas Chamber: There's a building slowly filling with gas, with the victims searching for hidden antidotes in order to survive.
- Hide Your Pregnancy: Averted with Shawnee Smith. She didn't have the figure of a woman who was pregnant yet, so Word of God stated that they didn't need to hide her pregnancy.
- Murder by Cremation: Obi in has to climb inside a furnace to retrieve one of the keys, but inadvertently activates the trap, locking himself until he's burned to death.
- Once More with Clarity: Eric Matthews is told his son is in "A safe and secure state." At the end of the movie, Daniel Matthews is in a safe with an oxygen mask over his face.
- The Reveal: Amanda is actually Jigsaw's accomplice. And the events in the house are not taking place at the same time as the cops are watching it.
- Secret Test of Character: Not necessarily as secret as others, but the entire point of the movie is testing whether Eric has changed, and seeing if he can sit and wait instead of resorting to violence.
- Schmuck Bait: The glass box trap. See And I Must Scream above.
- Time Bomb: Subverted for the most part in contrast to the sequels, as very few of the traps are actually timed. One is the Death Mask which the victim fails and had his head meet spikes and the other is the needle pit, which doesn't hold any penalty other than one of the antidotes being Lost Forever.
- Too Dumb to Live: Aside from general arguing and screaming in the face of danger and/or with the toxin filling the air, three traps in particular prey on nothing more than the victim making a particularly illogical decision:
- The group finds a note specifically telling them not to try a key to a door. Xavier then immediately goes to unlock the door anyway, with Gus looking in the peephole. What he was looking into? The barrel of a loaded gun which fires when the door is unlocked.
- The group later finds a furnace with an antidote inside of it, to which Obi volunteers to retrieve (since the trap was made for him in mind anyway). He walks into the furnace and grabs it without a second thought, immediately setting the furnace off and burning him to death. If he took the time to look around inside, he would have seen the valve that turns the fire off, but once he realizes its existence it was already too late.
- Addison, after sticking her hand inside of the razor box and having it get caught, then immediately pushes the other hand inside!