All they have is each other
This time, we didn't make any wishes for the future. We said goodbye to our past. Now, none of us has any idea where life's gonna take us, 'cause what we have is now. And right now, we have each other...
is a 2002 comedy-drama roadtrip film directed by Tamra Davis and starring Britney Spears
, Zoe Saldana
and Taryn Manning (before 8 Mile
Written by Shonda Rhimes
, the film tells the coming of age story of Lucy (Spears) and her childhood best friends Kit (Saldana) and Mimi (Manning) as they take a cross-country road trip, finding themselves and their friendship in the process. The film also stars Dan Aykroyd as Lucy's father, Kim Cattrall as Lucy's mother, and Anson Mount (All the Boys Love Mandy Lane
) as Ben.
The script for the film was developed specifically for the singer by herself and her team. Filming began in March 2001, taking place in Spears' home state, Louisiana, as well as Los Angeles, California. Britney wanted "a movie with meaning which didn't talk down to her peers and dealt with real issues" and no one can doubt it deals with real issues, pregnancy, cheating, running away, runaway parents, abusive parents to name a few. It's also subtly written enough that her younger fans around the time could understand it.
- Abusive Parents: Lucy's dad smothers her, her mother abandoned her, and Kit's mother criticised her for her appearance as a child and now resents her. Ben also takes his stepsister away from her physically abusive father.
- Adorkable: Britney Spears being, well, Britney Spears uses this to her advantage.
- Alpha Bitch: Kit, especially at the beginning.
- American Accents: Of the Dixie variation, ya'll.
- At the Crossroads: And HOW x 4!
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: Prom queen Kit, Lucy the valedictorian and Mimi, who can throw a mean right hook.
- Be Yourself: an idea subtly played into the movie.
- Berserk Button: you don't touch Ben's car!
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Lucy, Kit and Mimi.
- Clueless Aesop: All that stuff about sex, its dangers, and its consequences ends up falling apart because it's a PG-13 film aimed at tweens, and the characters end up dodging all the worst possibilities. Mimi's Convenient Miscarriage is probably the most infamous one.
- Coming-of-Age Story: And how for all those involved.
- Lampshaded by the song title: "Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman".
- Cannot Spit It Out: Lucy's father closed offness when it comes to her mother going AWOL kicks off the plot.
- Convenient Miscarriage: Mimi has this after they get to LA.
- Color-Coded Characters: Kit is in pink and purple, Mimi is in blue and green, Lucy is in yellow and white, and Ben is in brown and grey.
- Cool Loser: Lucy and Mimi are this.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Ben went to jail for taking his abused little step-sister across state lines.
- Drama Queen: Kit. She is constituted of 60% drama and 40% sass.
- Easter Egg: The DVD features Easter eggs in the form of diary entries/talking to yourself moments for Lucy and Ben, which are used as trailers for the movie.
- Empty Nest: Why Lucy's father didn't want her to leave...
- Fanservice: Britney in her underwear, but also all of her singing scenes have some fanservice-y outfits. It has been suggest that her midriff should get it's own credit in the film.
- Follow Your Heart: Worked in with the Lucy plot.
- For Your Own Good: Lucy gets forced to become a doctor by her father for her own good.
- Four Philosophy Ensemble:
- Lucy as the Realist
- Ben as Apathetic
- Mimi as Optimistic
- Kit as Conflicted
- Four-Temperament Ensemble:
- Mimi is Phlegmatic
- Kit is Choleric
- Lucy is Melancholic
- Ben is Sanguine
- Girlish Pigtails: Mimi's favourite hair style.
- Go-Getter Girl: subverted with Lucy. Her father raised her to be this, in order for her to become a doctor. We later find out she just wants to enjoy life and persue music.
- Hoist By Her Own Petard: Kit's mom sent her to fat camp to become more attractive, but now resents that her daughter is more beautiful than she is.
- Hollywood Nerd: Britney Spears playing a nerd, a damn pretty nerd at that.
- I Just Want to Be Free: Lucy mentions this being her reason for running away the first time and her reason for asking to leave the second time.
- Interrupted Intimacy: Lucy and Ben in their almost kiss in the woods, interrupted hilariously by Mimi's screaming about something that bit her in the ass. Hilatry Ensues.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Henry outright states this, this is why he has to lose his virginity before going to college.
- May-December Romance: Played with the Lucy-Ben plot.
- My Beloved Smother: Kit's mom and Lucy's dad.
- Missing Mom: Lucy
- The Power of Friendship: Because having two Aesops is not enough, this is the most Anvilicious Aesop nevertheless.
- Parents as People: All the parents are flawed, but human.
- Perma Stubble: Ben. Part of his Troubled, but Cute bad boy appeal.
- Plucky Girl: Mimi.
- Overprotective Dad: Lucy, to the nth degree.
- Rape as Drama: The cause of Mimi's pregnancy, and Kit's fiance is her rapist. Lucy is manhandled at a bar until Ben steps in, which comes just before Mimi's admission.
- Rebellious Spirit: Mimi is depicted as being this at school.
- Sex As Rite-of-passage: Lucy's lab partner treats it all as this and it's played as this for Lucy at the end of the movie.
- Slumber Party: The girls' night at the hotel turns into this, shown in a heart warming montage.
- Dreams change. Friends are forever.
- What we have is now. And right now, we have each other
- Teen Pregnancy: Mimi.
- Travel Montage: Being a travel movie, yes.
- Troubled, but Cute: Ben. Has the bad boy act down to the obligatory vintage convertible, tattoos, man jewelry, and Perma Stubble.In fact, he is actually a very nice guy.
- Town Girls: Kit is girly, Mimi is a tomboy, Lucy is inbetween.
- Two Roads Before You: Lucy-Doctor or Singer, Mimi + Kit-return to hometown or settle in LA, Ben-continue relationship with Lucy or leave her be as she's younger than him.
- Uptown Girl: Lucy and Ben's relationship is depicted as this. Not exactly played straight, seeing how she is middle class at most, and he is from a trailer park.
- The Unfavourite: Straight as you can get since Carolyne tells Lucy to her face that she never wanted to have her and that she was a mistake, abandoning her the moment she was born and still doesn't want her, only having Lucy because her father made Carolyne have her. She later had two sons to another man who she did not leave.
- Wall Bang Her: teased in Lucy and Ben's sex scene. A little odd, seeing how it's her first time. Up against a glass wall.
- Waxing Lyrical: Seeing how this is Britney's movie, it's hardly surprising that her nusic is shoved in evey corner of the movie. There is a scene where Lucy reads to Ben one of her "poems", I'm not a girl.
- Wrench Wench: Lucy has surprising shades of this. Part of her Hidden Depth.
- Not really surprising considering her father is a mechanic with his own shop.
- Your Cheating Heart: Kit's fiance turns out to be a major cheater, not to mention rapist.
All I need is time, a moment that is mine, so while I'm in between,
I'm not a girl, not yet a woman