All they have is each other
This time, we didn't make any wishes for the future. We said goodbye to our past. Now, none of us has any idea where life's gonna take us, 'cause what we have is now. And right now, we have each other...
is a 2002 comedy-drama roadtrip film directed by Tamra Davis and starring American recording artist Britney Spears
, Zoe Saldana (Went onto do Avatar
with James Cameron
) and Taryn Manning (Also in 8 Mile
Written by Shonda Rhimes, the film tells the coming of age story of Lucy (Spears) and her childhood best friends Kit (Saldana) and Mimi (Manning) as they take a cross-country road trip, finding themselves and their friendship in the process. The film also stars Dan Aykroyd (From Ghostbusters
) as Lucy's father, Kim Cattrall (From Sex and the City
) as Lucy's mother, and Anson Mount (From All the Boys Love Mandy Lane
) as Ben.
The script for the film was developed specifically for the singer by herself and her team. Filming began in March 2001, taking place in Spears' home state, Louisiana, as well as Los Angeles, California. Britney wanted "a movie with meaning which didn't talk down to her peers and dealt with real issues" and no one can doubt it deals with real issues, pregnancy, cheating, running away, runaway parents to name a few. It's also subtly written enough that her younger fans around the time could understand it.
- Adorkable: Britney Spears being, well, Britney Spears uses this to her advantage.
- Alpha Bitch: Kit plays into this at the start with the scene in school.
- At the Crossroads: And HOW x 4!
- Be Yourself: an idea subtly played into the movie.
- Clueless Aesop: All that stuff about sex, its dangers, and its consequences ends up falling apart because it's a PG-13 film aimed at tweens, and the characters end up dodging all the worst possibilities. Mimi's Convenient Miscarriage is probably the most infamous one.
- Coming of Age Story: And how for all those involved.
- Lampshaded by the song title: "Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman".
- Convenient Miscarriage: Mimi has this after they get to LA.
- Cool Loser: Lucy and Mimi are this.
- Easter Egg: The DVD features Easter eggs in the form of diary entries/talking to yourself moments for Lucy and Ben, which are used as trailers for the movie.
- Fanservice: Britney in her underwear.
- Follow Your Heart: Worked in with the Lucy plot.
- Four Philosophy Ensemble:
- Lucy as the Realist
- Ben as Apathetic
- Mimi as Optimistic
- Kit as Conflicted
- Four Temperament Ensemble:
- Mimi is Choleric
- Kit is Phlegmatic
- Lucy is Melancholic
- Ben is Sanguine
- Hollywood Nerd: Britney Spears playing a nerd, a damn pretty nerd at that
- I Just Want To Be Free: Lucy mentions this being her reason for running away the first time and her reason for asking to leave the second time.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Henry outright states this, this is why he has to lose his virginity before going to collage.
- May-December Romance: Played with the Lucy-Ben plot.
- The Power of Friendship: Because having two Aesops is not enough, this is the most Anvilicious Aesop nevertheless.
- Rape as Drama: Lucy almost gets raped till Ben stops it.
- Rebellious Spirit: Mimi is depicted as being this at school.
- Sex As Rite-of-passage: Lucy's lab partner treats it all as this and it's played as this for Lucy at the end of the movie.
- Dreams change. Friends are forever.
- What we have is now. And right now, we have each other
- Teen Pregnancy: Mimi.
- Travel Montage: Being a travel movie, yes.
- Two Roads Before You: Lucy-Doctor or Singer, Mimi + Kit-return to hometown or settle in LA, Ben-continue relationship with Lucy or leave her be as she's younger than him.
- The Unfavourite: Straight as you can get since Carolyne had tells Lucy to her face that she never wanted to have her and that she was a mistake, abandoning her the moment she was born. She later had two sons to another man who she did not leave.
- Your Cheating Heart: Kit's fiance turns out to be a major cheater.