Claire Boucher a.k.a. Grimes
Claire Boucher, better known by her stage name
Grimes, a reference to the artist Ken Grimes, is a Canadian electronic musician, artist and music video director.
Born and raised in Vancouver, she started writing and recording songs while in college, which made her miss a great number of classes and ended up with her being expelled from her university. Not so bad, as now she could dedicate herself to be a full-time musician, collaborating with various DJ s such as Majical Cloudz, making an EP with musician d'Eon and opening shows to singer Lykke Li.
Grimes musical style is mostly electronic and experimental, though it ranges a lot
Discography so far:Albums:
- Geidi Primes (2010)
- Halfaxa (2010)
- Visions (2012)
- Darkbloom (2011, in collaboration with musician d'Eon)
Grimes and her music contains examples of:
- Artist Disillusionment / Berserk Button: In a recent blog post she not only lashed out on people sexualizing her and referring to her as "cute" or "waif-like", she even went as far as to cancel the remainder of her world tour due to being royally pissed off by that behavior.
- Dye Hard: Already dyed her hair with colors such as pink and blue.
- Echoing Acoustics: Reverb is pretty much everywhere, but notably used in Genesis and Skin.
- Heart Symbol: Infinite ❤ Without Fulfillment.
- Like Is, Like, a Comma: It's pointed out how often she inserts "like" into her sentences. She even lampshades this by saying she talks like a valley girl.
- Lyrical Dissonance: A great deal of songs in the Visions album, including the opening track Infinite ❤ Without Fulfillment, Genesis, Oblivion, among others. "Oblivion" is actually about a sexual assault incident Grimes experienced as a teenager and features the chorus, "See you in the dark night."
- Neo Classical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: As newspaper The Guardian summarized, "By sounding a little like everything you've ever heard, the whole sounds like nothing you've ever heard". Grimes herself describes her style as "ADD musics".
- Older Than They Look: She is currently 26 years old, but honestly looks way younger.
- One Woman Song: Vanessa.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Pretty much all of the backing vocals are just layers of her own vocals.
- Take That, Audience!: During a pool party at Richie Hawtin's house in Ibiza for an online show, in front of several major DJs who meant Serious Business, she did Something Completely Different and trolled everyone by playing a set full of cheesy pop music; primarily Taylor Swift, Mariah Carey (specifically "All I Want for Christmas Is You"), and the Vengaboys. Off an iPod. Predictably, people were angry.