Music: Sleigh Bells
Sleigh Bells is an alternative rock duo made up of vocalist Alexis Krauss and guitarist Derek Miller. The two met in a Portuguese restaurant that Derek worked in, when Alexis' mother found out that he was looking for a bandmate, and suggested her daughter for the spot. A short while after, the two released their debut album Treats, to great critical acclaim.
Sleigh Bells' discography:
- Treats (2010)
- Reign of Terror (2012)
- Bitter Rivals (2013)
Sleigh Bells provides examples of:
- Badass Adorable: Alexis.
- Bait and Switch: At the end of the video for "Bitter Rivals", Derek and Alexis menacingly approach the camera as if to flip off the screen, but instead cheerfully flash the victory sign and the phrase "Be Good To Each Other" pops up above them.
- Batter Up: Alexis wields a baseball bat in the "Infinity Guitars" video.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Alexis' sweet vocals are a mighty contrast to Derek's hard, crunchy guitars. As well, Alexis herself has claimed to be the "calm, older sister" to Derek's brooding.
- Catholic School Girls Rule: In the "Infinity Guitars" video.
- Dance-Punk: They are highly influenced by this genre
- Genki Girl: Alexis is positively beaming with energy on stage.
- Girl With a Gun: Alexis in the "Comeback Kid" video.
- High School: They seem to take a big chunk of inspiration from the American high school experience, often with a twist. For example:
- The Treats album cover features a photo of cheerleaders, with their faces scratched off. The Reign of Terror cover shows a pair of blood-splattered Keds.
- Their song "Crush" features percussion provided by a crowd stomping their feet from the bleachers in a gymnasium.
- Common themes in their videos include cheerleaders, letterman jackets, uniforms, high school campuses… and so on. And did we mention the occasional explosions and random acts of violence?
- Hot Teacher: Look at Alexis for a moment. Consider that she was, in fact, a Spanish teacher. You may now swoon.
- Loudness War: Intentionally done on their albums, especially Treats.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: From a 5 to a 7.
- Ms. Fanservice: Alexis.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Many have described their sound as a mix of Pop / Metal / Punk / R&B. Ain't that quite a pedigree? Derek himself has called "Comeback Kid" an R&B song with guitars.
- Odd Friendship: Certainly seems that way, at first. While Derek was playing in punk bands, Alexis was a kindergarten teacher.
- Platonic Life Partners: They've stated that they feel more like brother and sister and Alexis has more input into their albums, balancing out their sound.
- Pep Talk Song: "Comeback Kid"
- Record Producer: Derek is a "DIY" type of this, having produced both their albums himself.
- Sampling: "Rill Rill" borrows its riff from Funkadelic's "Can You Get To That".
- Single Stanza Song/Looped Lyrics: "A/B Machines" is simply the lines "Got my A machines on the table/Got my B machines in the drawer" repeated throughout its three and a half minute length.
- Stock Trailer Music: "Crown on the Ground" is played in the trailer of Sofia Coppola's The Bling Ring.
- "Infinity Guitars" is featured in TV spots for Kick-Ass 2.
- Sunglasses at Night: Derek. He's since ditched them by the time their album Bitter Rivals came around because he didn't want to be that guy who wore sunglasses inside. Also, he stopped drinking heavily and thus didn't need the glasses to hide his hangover.
- Surreal Music Video: The "Rill Rill" video. A picture day session at a school from hell, a shrine filled lockers, a bleeding telephone… what?!
- Textless Album Cover: All three of their albums.
- Word Salad Lyrics: Lots of the songs on Treats have these, because the music behind them was created first, and then lyrics were added to them on top. The songs on Reign of Terror, however, were more carefully crafted, with an increased emphasis on lyrical content. Bitter Rivals is a balance of the two, with Alexis contributing more lyrics.
- Workaholics: Self-described. They prefer to keep busy and released three albums in three years.
- You All Meet in an Inn: Alexis met Derek in a restaurant that he was a waiter at.