Sleigh Bells is an dance-punk
duo made up of vocalist Alexis Krauss and guitarist Derek Miller. The two met in a Portuguese restaurant that Derek worked in
, when Alexis' mother found out that he was looking for a bandmate, and suggested her daughter for the spot. A short while after, the two released their debut album Treats
, to great critical acclaim.
Sleigh Bells' discography:
- Treats (2010)
- Reign of Terror (2012)
- Bitter Rivals (2013)
Sleigh Bells provides examples of:
- Badass Adorable: Alexis.
- Batter Up: Alexis wields a baseball bat in the "Infinity Guitars" video.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Alexis' sweet vocals are a mighty contrast to Derek's hard, crunchy guitars. As well, Alexis herself has claimed to be the "calm, older sister" to Derek's brooding.
- Catholic School Girls Rule: In the "Infinity Guitars" video.
- Creator Breakdown: Reign of Terror came from a darker place in Derek's life.
- Dance-punk: They are highly influenced by this genre
- Genki Girl: Alexis is positively beaming with energy on stage.
- Girl With a Gun: Alexis in the "Comeback Kid" video.
- High School: They seem to take a big chunk of inspiration from the American high school experience, often with a twist. For example:
- Hot Teacher: Look at Alexis for a moment. Consider that she was, in fact, a Spanish teacher. You may now swoon.
- Loudness War: Intentionally done on their albums, especially Treats.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: From a 5 to a 7.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Many have described their sound as a mix of Pop / Metal / Punk / R&B. Ain't that quite a pedigree? Derek himself has called "Comeback Kid" an R&B song with guitars.
- Sunglasses at Night: Derek. He's since ditched them by the time their Bitter Rivals came around because he didn't want to be that guy who wore sunglasses inside
- Surreal Music Video: The "Rill Rill" video. A picture day session at a school from hell, a shrine filled lockers, a bleeding telephone… wha?!
- Odd Friendship: Certainly seems that way, at first. While Derek was playing in punk bands, Alexis was a kindergarten teacher.
- Platonic Life Partners: They've stated that they feel more like brother and sister and Alexis has more input into their albums, balancing out their sound.
- Old Shame: Alexis appeared in an ad for Nickelodeon Magazine when she was a youngster (see it here).
- Pep Talk Song: "Comeback Kid"
- Stock Trailer Music: "Crown on the Ground" is played in the trailer of Sofia Coppola's The Bling Ring.
- "Infinity Guitars" is featured in TV spots for Kick Ass 2.
- Textless Album Cover: All three of their albums.
- Record Producer: Derek is a "DIY" type of this, having produced both their albums himself.
- Word Salad Lyrics: Lots of the songs on Treats have these, because the music behind them was created first, and then lyrics were added to them on top. The songs on Reign of Terror, however, were more carefully crafted, with an icnreased emphasis on lyrical content.
- Workaholics: Self-described. They prefer to keep busy and put out three albums in three years.
- You All Meet in an Inn: Alexis met Derek in a restaurant that he was a waiter at.