Condone first degree murder! Advocate cannibalism! Eat shit!Skinless are an American Brutal Death Metal band, known for their cynical take of comedy, generally with Death Metal as a whole being the center of said grim comedy.They disbanded in 2011, with Noah Carpenter saying that though he wanted to continue with the band, that there was "No fire left" to do so, and played their last show at the Maryland Deathfeast 2011. Then they went to do their own thing with other bands, such as Jason Keyser joining the highly acclaimed OriginThey reunited in 2013 with the lineup seen on Progression Towards Evil, with Dave Matthews (not that one, obviously) from Carpenter's former project Armor Column being drafted shortly after to make it a five-piece. Only the Ruthless Remain, their first post-reunion album, will drop on June 2, 2015. Touring will not occur, however; by their own admission, multiple members cannot tour, and shows in support of the album will be limited to festival appearances and one-offs.
—Opening sample for "Pool of Stool"
- Noah Carpenter - guitar (1992-2011, 2013-present)
- Joe Keyser - bass (1997-2011, 2013-present)
- Bob Beaulac - drums (1997–2002, 2003-2011, 2013-present)
- Sherwood "Thunder Wheel" Webber IV - vocals, drums (1994-2004, 2010-2011, 2013-present)
- Dave Matthews - guitar (2013-present)
- Progression Towards Evil (1998)
- Foreshadowing Our Demise (2001)
- Miscreant (EP, 2002)
- From Sacrifice to Survival (2003)
- Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead (2006)
- Only the Ruthless Remain (2015)
This band exhibits examples of the following tropes:
- Affectionate Parody: Of general Death Metal lyrics, while the lyrics are by no means child-friendly, they certainly are darkly amusing.
- Black Comedy: Rather prevalent in their older material. See Darker and Edgier below for more information.
- Brutal Death Metal
- Country Matters: "Cuntaminated".
- Cover Song: Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead ends with a cover of Black Sabbath's "Wicked World".
- Darker and Edgier: From Sacrifice to Survival, which cut out the toilet humor and black comedy elements.
- Digital Piracy Is Evil: They haven't made a definitive statement as to which side of the fence they're on, but they did note with some detectible delight that most of the people who decided to illegally download Only the Ruthless Remain were actually getting From Sacrifice to Survival with the new song titles. They did not indicate whether they deliberately planted them or not.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Progression Towards Evil is almost exclusively focused on Toilet Humor and Gorn. Foreshadowing Our Demise has a few tracks of that type, but leans more on the Humans Are Bastards and/or political themes that make up the bulk of their subsequent albums.
- I'm a Humanitarian: "Crispy Kids".
- I Am the Band: Noah Carpenter
- Intentionally Awkward Title:
- Check the track listings for Progression. They're everywhere. Although the crowner is probably "Tampon Lollipops".
- A few examples show up on Foreshadowing Our Demise, too, like "Pool of Stool" and "Tug of War Intestines".
- Ironic Name:
- I Want You to Meet an Old Friend of Mine: Dave's been a friend of the band and a part of the New York Death Metal community for 20 years, and had collaborated with Noah in Armor Column before being invited to join the reformed Skinless.
- Misanthrope Supreme
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Hard 10/Solid 11, par for the course of Brutal Death Metal.
- New Sound Album: The band has indicated that their upcoming 2015 release will be this. To quote Noah Carpenter:Basically we're going to put the Progression, Foreshadowing and Trample albums into a blender, add some guitar solos and serve up the heaviest Skinless release yet.
- Sampling: The majority of their songs open with these, although they're absent on From Sacrifice to Survival and Only The Ruthless Remain.
- Some of them even have more than one. "Pool of Stool" has three.
- Shout-Out: "Merrie Melody" takes its name from a sub-brand of the Looney Tunes line which took the characters and put them in what amounted to animated music videos.
- Sibling Team: During Jason's tenure.
- Start My Own: Noah started the thrash/power metal band Armor Column after Skinless dissolved. Skinless reforming meant that Armor Column had to call it quits.
- Voice of the Legion: Frequently. Usually manifests as simultaneous death growls and Black Metal-esque screams.
- Would Hurt a Child: Again, "Crispy Kids".